20.36°C Vancouver

News

canada-expanding-the-covid-19-travel-ban-to-three-more-nations-and-stepping-up-testing-for-air-travellers-who-fly-into-canada
CanadaDec 01, 2021

Canada expanding the COVID-19 travel ban to three more nations and stepping up testing for air travellers who fly into Canada

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos is expanding the COVID-19 travel ban and ordering new border testing rules as Canada tries to keep the new Omicron variant from spreading. Duclos is adding Malawi, Egypt and Nigeria to the banned travellers country list, and stepping up testing for air travellers who fly into Canada from anywhere but the United States. At least six cases of the new variant are now confirmed in Canada, so far all in people who had recently travelled from Nigeria. Duclos says we still don't know very much about the threat this new variant poses. The federal government is bannin
canada-may-need-to-do-more-at-the-border-to-protect-against-the-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-pm-trudeau
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19 coming to Canada. The government has already banned foreign nationals who have recently travelled to several southern African countries. Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino told reporters public health advice will guide their actions.The World Health Organization warned against the potentially dangerous impact of the Omicron variant again today, though there are still many questions about its transmissibility and the severity of illness it causes.
unvaccinated-travellers-barred-from-planes-and-trains-as-of-today
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Unvaccinated travellers barred from planes and trains as of today

Unvaccinated travellers over the age of 12 won't be able to board a plane or train in Canada beginning today, and a negative COVID-19 test will no longer serve as a substitute for most people. The policy came into effect on Oct. 30, but the federal government allowed a short transition period for unvaccinated travellers who could board as long as they provided a negative molecular COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before their trip. The stringent new requirement comes into effect as Canada reacts to the emergence of the new, highly mutated Omicron variant of COVID-19.
ontario-reports-two-more-cases-on-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-taking-canadas-total-cases-to-5
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Ontario reports two more cases on Omicron variant of COVID-19 taking Canada's total cases to 5

Ontario has reported two more cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 virus. Ontario had earlier reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The total number of cases detected in Ontario has now reached 4. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa. Quebec health officials have also confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently tr
third-case-of-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-canada
CanadaNov 29, 2021

Third case of Omicron variant of COVID-19 confirmed in Canada

Quebec health officials have confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently travelled to the province, principally from countries in southern Africa, have been asked to take a PCR test and to isolate. Ontario reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa.
variant-prompts-canada-to-bring-in-ban-on-travellers-from-southern-africa
CanadaNov 26, 2021

Variant prompts Canada to bring in ban on travellers from southern Africa

Canada has banned visitors from southern Africa after the discovery of a new variant of concern in the region. The new variant, deemed Omicron, first emerged in South Africa and coincided with a steep rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in that region in recent weeks, according to the World Health Organization. The ban will apply to foreign nationals who transited through a list of seven countries in the last 14 days, including South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Namibia and eSwatini. Those already in Canada who recently travelled through the region will need to quarantine
new-bill-proposed-that-would-provide-10-days-of-paid-sick-leave-to-federally-regulated-workers
CanadaNov 26, 2021

New bill proposed that would provide 10 days of paid sick leave to federally regulated workers

The federal government is proposing a new bill that would make it illegal to intimidate health workers to the point it impedes them from doing their job. The federal Liberals have introduced a bill that would provide 10 days of paid sick leave to federally regulated workers and create two new Criminal Code offences for anyone threatening health-care workers. Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says the sick leave plugs a hole in the social safety net that was exposed by the pandemic. The Liberals want to see the bill pass in Parliament before M-Ps go on their holiday break in the middle of December
general-wayne-eyre-officially-appointed-canadas-chief-of-the-defence-staff
CanadaNov 25, 2021

General Wayne Eyre officially appointed Canada's chief of the defence staff

General Wayne Eyre has been officially appointed Canada's next chief of the defence staff. He had been filling in for Admiral Art McDonald, who stepped down in August because of an investigation into alleged sexual misconduct. No charges were laid by police and McDonald wanted to be reinstated as CDS. Today, Defence Minister Anita Anand announced the permanent promotion for Eyre. McDonald has been put on leave for now.
narrower-aid-package-is-because-the-economy-no-longer-needs-the-same-broad-based-help-it-once-did-chrystia-freeland
CanadaNov 25, 2021

Narrower aid package is because the economy no longer needs the same broad-based help it once did: Chrystia Freeland

The Trudeau Liberals have outlined their latest aid package for an economy recovering from COVID-19. They're proposing targeted support to severely affected businesses, locked-down workers, and extra weeks of benefits that expired just days ago. The legislation introduced in the House of Commons today is one of four bills the government wants MPs to pass before the middle of December ahead of a scheduled winter break. The Liberals are proposing to send $300 per week to workers who find themselves off the job because of a ``COVID-19-related public health lockdown in their region'' between now

Just In

rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern
CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert