10.25°C Vancouver

News

canada-surpasses-grim-milestone-with-30-000-covid-19-deaths
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Canada surpasses grim milestone with 30,000 COVID-19 deaths

Canada has surpassed a grim milestone, recording its 30,000th COVID-19 death since the pandemic began in early 2020.Ontario reported nine additional deaths attributed to the virus on Thursday, pushing Canada's overall total to more than 30,000 as experts warned of fresh threats posed by the more transmissible Omicron variant.Canada reached 10,000 COVID-19 deaths last November, and surpassed 20,000 deaths two months later in January, 2021 — a leap that occurred before enough vaccines were administered to have an impact.Experts say vaccines have significantly limited the number of people dying
ontarians-18-can-get-boosters-monday-shorter-dose-interval
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Ontarians 18+ can get boosters Monday, shorter dose interval

Ontario is expanding COVID-19 vaccine booster eligibility to all adults, provided it's been three months since they got their second dose. Residents 18 and over will be able to book their vaccines starting Monday, and Premier Doug Ford says the new push will require all hands on deck. Booster appointments opened up for Ontarians 50 and older just two days ago, and Ford is urging them to book immediately, because they're most at risk of serious illness from the Omicron variant. Ontario Premier Doug Ford has introduced a slate of new measures meant to curb the spread of the highly contagious Omi
CanadaDec 15, 2021

Don't travel internationally for non-essential reasons, government says

The government now advises against all non-essential international travel in the face of the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos made the announcement Wednesday, following a Tuesday evening meeting between premiers and the prime minister. The health minister says the highly transmissible variant is now spreading in Canadian communities, and just about anywhere else in the world. Ottawa agreed to send shipments of booster doses and rapid tests to provinces and territories to quickly ramp up vaccination campaigns to combat the virus at home. Minister
ontario-quebec-covid-19-cases-rise-as-provinces-consider-omicron-health-measures
CanadaDec 15, 2021

Ontario, Quebec COVID-19 cases rise as provinces consider Omicron health measures

Ontario and Quebec are reporting a jump in COVID-19 infections as the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of concern prompts varied public health responses across Canada. There are 1,808 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario and 2,386 in Quebec. Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced an expansion to COVID-19 booster shot coverage and rapid testing, while also loosening gathering restrictions. Private indoor gatherings are still limited to 10 people but can now include more than two different households regardless of whether people are vaccinated or not. Rapid test kits are to be made available to al
CanadaDec 15, 2021

PM urges caution before Christmas as government mulls Omicron measures

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says people will have to be careful as they finalize their Christmas plans this year, now that the highly transmissible Omicron variant is spreading through Canada.The warning comes the morning after Trudeau met with his provincial and territorial counterparts to discuss potential measures to dampen the impact of the new variant. On the table were several options to limit international travel.When the threat of Omicron emerged late last month the government issued a travel advisory, urging Canadians to be aware that travel to an area with Omicron could hamper thei
highlights-from-finance-minister-chrystia-freelands-fall-economic-statement
CanadaDec 14, 2021

Highlights from Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's fall economic statement

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland released a fall economic statement today that outlined a better-than-expected economic rebound, but also billions more in spending, including on the response to the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Here are some other measures outlined in the fiscal update: Immigration backlogs - The federal government plans to put $85 million into plowing through massive backlogs in processing immigration applications starting in fiscal 2022-23. The government acknowledged the pandemic dramatically slowed down the pace of processing immigration applications, and many resources
CanadaDec 14, 2021

Discovery of unmarked graves selected as Canada's news story of the year: CP poll

The Canadian Press News Story of the Year is the discovery of unmarked graves at a former residential school in British Columbia's Interior.It came ahead of Canada's COVID-19 vaccine rollout and stories about climate change and severe weather in B-C in the annual survey of editors at media outlets across the country.The story broke in May when the Tk'emlups te Secwepemc Nation in Kamloops announced ground-penetrating radar found what were believed to be the remains of up to 215 children.
pandemic-has-been-a-wake-up-call-about-the-need-for-public-health-renewal-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaDec 13, 2021

Pandemic has been a wake-up call about the need for public health renewal: Dr. Theresa Tam

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam's annual report says the pandemic has been a wake-up call about the need for public health renewal. She's urging the federal government to transform the public health system so it is better equipped to handle both present and future health threats. Dr. Tam is warning the government it should not scale back public health funding once the emergency has passed, leaving it vulnerable at the start of the next crisis. Canada's top doctor says community transmission of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 is already happening. Dr. Theresa Tam says the highly co
CanadaDec 13, 2021

Defence minister apologizes to sexual misconduct victims, says Ottawa has long failed to protect those who signed up to protect the country

Defence Minister Anita Anand says Ottawa has long failed to protect those who signed up to protect the country. She made a formal apology today to victims of military sexual misconduct on behalf of the federal government, and also apologized the government didn't put the right systems in place to ensure justice and accountability for victims. Her apology, and those made by chief of the defence staff General Wayne Eyre and Defence Department deputy minister Jody Thomas form a key part of the federal government's 600 million dollar settlement in several overlapping class-action lawsuits. Defence

Just In

AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa
abbotsford-police-arrest-suspect-in-two-armed-street-robberies
BCMay 19, 2026

Abbotsford police arrest suspect in two armed street robberies

Abbotsford Police say a South Asian male youth has been arrested in connection with two separate armed street robberies reported in the city last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspect. According to police, the first incident happened on April 14 near the intersection of McClure Road and Trethewey Street during the afternoon hours. The second robbery was reported on April 30 at night near Exhibition Park along the Discovery Trail. Investigators allege the same suspect was involved in both incidents. Police said the victims were threatened with a firearm and had jewelry stolen d
poilievre-criticizes-federal-government-after-latest-inflation-report
BCMay 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal government after latest inflation report

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is criticizing the federal government following the release of the latest inflation figures from Statistics Canada, saying rising living costs continue to put pressure on Canadian families. In a statement issued after the report was released, Poilievre said food prices are increasing faster than the overall inflation rate and argued Canadians are paying more for everyday essentials while receiving less in return. He also pointed to continued high energy and fuel prices, saying the cost of living remains a major concern for households across the country. Poi
daylight-shooting-in-langley-leaves-27-year-old-man-injured
BCMay 19, 2026

Daylight shooting in Langley leaves 27-year-old man injured

A 27-year-old man was injured in a daytime shooting in Langley on Saturday, with police saying the incident is believed to be targeted and the investigation remains ongoing. Langley RCMP said officers responded to reports of an assault in the 5400 block of Brydon Crescent at approximately 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital for treatment. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement that investigators are working to determine the circumstances and motive behind the shooting. Police have not released information about any suspe