19.44°C Vancouver

News

backcountry-campers-not-deterred-by-jasper-fire
CanadaAug 02, 2024

Backcountry campers not deterred by Jasper fire

Some backcountry campers rescued from the wildfire in Jasper National Park say they're not deterred from going out again. A massive wildfire last week forced 25-thousand people to flee the Alberta park and its townsite. Fire later destroyed a third of the town. Parks Canada says 245 campers were evacuated from the backcountry. Among them were Charles Vantanajal and his family, who says he and his family were hiking when they saw smoke near Oldhorn Mountain, but didn't think that they were in any danger because the fire appeared to be far away. They ended up being taken out by helicopter, whil
four-year-old-boy-drowns-in-residential-pool-southwest-of-montreal
CanadaAug 02, 2024

Four-year-old boy drowns in residential pool southwest of Montreal

A four-year-old boy drowned Thursday night in a residential pool southwest of Montreal. Emergency services were alerted at around 8:30 p.m. about a child in cardiac arrest who had been found in a pool in Beauharnois, Que. Local police say the child was declared dead at a nearby hospital. Police say they are still trying to determine how the boy ended up in the pool. On Facebook, officials with the town of Beauharnois said they were at a loss for words to describe their sadness. They said the town offers its sincere thoughts to the boy, his family and neighbours.
canadians-urged-to-leave-lebanon-as-flights-cancelled-amid-growing-tensions
CanadaAug 02, 2024

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Lara Salameh was supposed to be flying out of Beirut Thursday en route to Montreal with her husband and two daughters, but the night before, their flight was cancelled. She said Air France told her service out of the Lebanese capital was suspended because of the unstable security situation — one that Ottawa has been warning Canadians about as fears of war between Israel and Hezbollah grow. Salameh is one of the 21,399 Canadians registered as being in Lebanon, a country the Canadian government is urging its citizens to leave. It says they can’t rely on government evacuation flights if war e
canadas-swimmer-summer-mackintosh-created-history-in-the-paris-olympics
CanadaAug 01, 2024

Canada's swimmer Summer Mackintosh created history in the Paris Olympics

Canada's swimmer Summer McIntosh has created history at the Paris Olympics. This 17-year-old player from Toronto today won another gold medal for Canada by setting an Olympic record of 2 minutes 3.03 seconds in the 200 meter butterfly swimming competition. At the same time, the American player Regan Smith won the silver medal and the Chinese player won the bronze medal. Summer Mackintosh has won three medals in the Paris Olympics. Summer McIntosh opened her Paris Olympic journey by winning Canada's first silver medal in the 400m freestyle on Saturday. She then won gold in the 400-metre indiv
canadian-born-captive-and-american-journalist-freed-in-prisoner-swap-with-russia
CanadaAug 01, 2024

Canadian-born captive and American journalist freed in prisoner swap with Russia

Canadian-born Paul Whelan and Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich were set free today as the United States and Russia completed their largest prisoner swap in post-Soviet history. Officials in Turkey, where the exchange took place, say some two dozen people were set free through the multinational deal. Whelan, who was born in Canada to British parents, was detained in December 2018 after traveling to Russia for a wedding. Whelan was convicted of espionage charges in Russia, which he and the U.S. have said were false, and was serving a 16-year prison sentence. Gershkovich was arrested
father-son-facing-terror-charges-allegedly-planning-violent-toronto-attack-rcmp
CanadaJul 31, 2024

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

RCMP say a father and son facing terrorism related charges were allegedly in the advanced stages of planning a serious, violent attack in Toronto. The Mounties allege the 62-year-old and 26-year-old knowingly facilitated terrorist activity in the Greater Toronto Area. They say the two were arrested at a Richmond Hill, Ont., hotel on the weekend. Police say there is no evidence to suggest there is a remaining risk to the public. Both men face one charge each of participation in the activities of a terrorist group, facilitating terrorist activity, conspiracy to commit murder and weapon possessio
king-charles-immensely-saddened-by-wildfire-destruction-in-jasper
CanadaJul 30, 2024

King Charles 'immensely saddened' by wildfire destruction in Jasper

King Charles says he and his wife, Queen Camilla, are "immensely saddened" to see the damage from massive wildfires in Jasper National Park. He says the picturesque Rocky Mountain tourist destination in Alberta is a "truly magical place" that has captivated travellers from Canada and abroad. The King expressed sympathy for those whose lives and livelihoods have been affected, particularly those who have lost property and were forced out. He thanked first responders, community volunteers and leaders who have stepped up to help and commended Canadians lending a hand. Federal officials have said
64-year-old-woman-dead-in-montreal-apartment-is-citys-21st-homicide-victim-in-2024
CanadaJul 30, 2024

64-year-old woman dead in Montreal apartment is city's 21st homicide victim in 2024

Montreal police say a woman found dead inside an apartment in the Lachine borough was the victim of a homicide. The death of the 64-year-old is the 21st murder of the year on the territory served by the Montreal police. Police discovered her body Monday evening. Ambulance technicians confirmed the death not long after. The major crimes unit of the force has taken over the investigation. Const. Sabrina Gauthier says police have so far made no arrests.
ottawa-announces-more-than-192-million-for-nova-scotia-clean-energy-projects
CanadaJul 30, 2024

Ottawa announces more than $192 million for Nova Scotia clean energy projects

Federal Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson has announced more than $192 million for six clean energy projects in Nova Scotia. Wilkinson says $117.6 million will help with the installation of three 50-megawatt battery storage systems to be operated by Nova Scotia Power Inc. in Bridgewater, N.S., Spider Lake, N.S., and White Rock, N.S. The minister says the funding builds on the $138.2-million loan announced for the battery storage projects by the Canada Infrastructure Bank in February. As well, Wilkinson says three wind farm projects will get $25 million each from Ottawa’s $4.5-billion Smart

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees