17.9°C Vancouver

News

debby-blows-in-to-eastern-canada
CanadaAug 09, 2024

Heavy rain coming to Eastern Canada as remnants of tropical storm Debby move in

Remnants of tropical storm Debby merging with another low pressure system over the Great Lakes could bring up to 100 millimetres of rain to parts of Eastern Canada on Friday. The system is passing through Southern Ontario and Quebec today, which has prompted Environment Canada to issue alerts and warnings for communities between Cornwall, Ont., through Quebec City about the risk of flash flooding. The agency has also warned that minor landslides are a possibility. Ottawa is forecast to be particularly hard hit by this storm system, with 50 to 75 millimetres of rainfall expected throughout Frid
flash-flooding-risk-in-ontario-quebec-as-remnants-of-tropical-storm-debby-on-the-way
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Flash flooding risk in Ontario, Quebec as remnants of tropical storm Debby on the way

Up to 100 millimetres of rain is forecast to hit parts of Eastern Canada by the weekend as the remnants of tropical storm Debby make their way to the region. Environment Canada is warning of heavy rain and risks of flash flooding and sewer backups across a swath of the country from Cornwall, Ont., to Quebec City. Meteorologist Jennifer Smith told a news conference that a low-pressure system over the Great Lakes will bring rain and possible thunderstorms in Eastern Ontario and southern Quebec tonight before the weather system merges with what's left of Debby. Smith says Montreal receives an ave
airfares-could-rise-after-calgary-hailstorm-forces-westjet-to-cancel-flights-expert
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Airfares could rise after Calgary hailstorm forces WestJet to cancel flights: expert

An aviation expert says airfares may go up in the immediate aftermath of a hailstorm that tore through Calgary on Monday evening, damaging WestJet planes and upending travel plans. Hailstones as big as golf balls pummelled the tarmac, forcing the Calgary-based airline to ground 10 per cent of its fleet for major repairs and inspections. WestJet says it cancelled 248 flights between Monday and Wednesday, and will have to cut trips across its network for the "foreseeable future." Barry Prentice, who heads the University of Manitoba's transport institute, says a significant scale-back by the coun
canada-confirms-it-pulled-diplomats-kids-out-of-israel-as-fear-of-broader-war-builds
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Canada confirms it pulled diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds

The Canadian government says it decided to pull its diplomats' children and their guardians out of Israel, amid fears over an expanded Mideast war. Global Affairs Canada says it has approved the temporary relocation of the children and their guardians to a safe third country. Embassy staff are expected to remain in Israel. The department says diplomats stationed in nearby Ramallah in the West Bank and in Beirut, Lebanon, do not have dependents living with them. Tensions in the Middle East have sparked fears about an all-out war after the killing last week of a senior Hezbollah commander in Leb
ontario-man-charged-after-threatening-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-in-online-video
CanadaAug 07, 2024

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video. RCMP made the arrest with help from the York Regional Police in Ontario. Police charged Dawid Zalewski, 33, with two counts of uttering threats. The arrest comes weeks after two Alberta men were charged after they allegedly directed death threats at the prime minister. RCMP said in July that the men posted threats to kill Trudeau and other pol
saskatchewan-latest-province-to-restrict-cellphone-use-in-school-classrooms
CanadaAug 06, 2024

Saskatchewan latest province to restrict cellphone use in school classrooms

The Saskatchewan government says students won't be allowed to use cellphones in class in the upcoming school year. The move, announced Tuesday, applies to all kindergarten to Grade 12 classrooms. Education Minister Jeremy Cockrill said in a news release that too often phones are taking students' attention away from what they should be learning. "This new policy will allow students to be more engaged with their teachers and focused on learning the skills and knowledge they need to reach their potential," he said. Saskatchewan follows several other provinces -- including Alberta, B.C., Quebec an
canadian-swimmer-summer-mcintosh-created-history-in-the-paris-olympics
CanadaAug 06, 2024

Canadian swimmer Summer McIntosh created history in the Paris Olympics

Canadian swimmer Summer McIntosh has created history at the Paris Olympics. She became the first Canadian to win three gold medals at the Olympics. On Saturday, she wins the 200m individual medley in an Olympic record time of two minutes 06.56 seconds, breaking the record of two minutes 06.58 set by Hungary's Katinka Hosszu. This year, the 17-year-old swimmer from Toronto has won a total of 4 medals for Canada in the Paris Olympics. On July 27, he wins Canada's first medal with a silver medal in the 400m freestyle swimming event. She will be 21 years old when the Summer Olympics will be held
ottawa-considers-changes-to-reduce-number-of-temporary-foreign-workers-in-canada
CanadaAug 06, 2024

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault says the federal government is considering new regulations that could make fewer employers eligible to hire temporary foreign workers. It's part of a suite of changes the minister is announcing in an effort to reduce the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada. He says he told a group of large business associations today that the program cannot be used to circumvent hiring Canadian workers. Boissonnault told them the government is considering new ways to restrict eligibility for the program, including looking at how long a business has operated and
trudeau-meets-officials-evacuees-following-jasper-wildfire
CanadaAug 06, 2024

Trudeau meets officials, evacuees following Jasper wildfire

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Hinton, Alta., to get a briefing on the status of the Jasper wildfire. Trudeau is expected to tour the mobile incident command centre Monday, and meet with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, Jasper Mayor Richard Ireland and Jasper evacuees. He is not expected to tour the town of Jasper itself. More than 20,000 people were evacuated from the town and Jasper National Park nearly two weeks ago as a wildfire inched closer to the area, destroying one-third of the town's buildings. A Calgary firefighter died over the weekend after a tree fell on him while fighting th

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees