19.79°C Vancouver

News

alberta-mp-to-step-aside-to-allow-pierre-poilievre-to-run-for-seat-in-parliament
CanadaMay 02, 2025

Alberta MP to step aside to allow Pierre Poilievre to run for seat in Parliament

An Alberta M-P is set to step aside to allow Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre to run for a seat in Parliament. Damien Kurek says he's temporarily stepping aside as M-P for the Battle River Crowfoot riding.Kurek will need to be sworn in before he resigns his seat.Prime Minister Mark Carney has said he would call a byelection ``as soon as possible'' if the Conservatives had a member resign their seat so that Poilievre could run again.
pm-carney-to-enter-parliament-later-this-month
CanadaMay 02, 2025

PM Carney to enter Parliament later this month

Prime Minister Mark Carney will enter Parliament with his fellow members later this month. The House of Commons is due to resume sitting on May 26, the first day of the 45th Parliament. Before that sitting, the new cabinet ministers will be sworn in by Governor General Mary Simon at a ceremony at Rideau Hall. A spokesman for the Privy Council Office said Carney, who was sworn in as prime minister in March, and other cabinet ministers who hold the same portfolios will not be required to take the oath of office again but may choose to do so. However, any new ministers or those holding additio
carney-says-hell-trigger-a-byelection-if-conservatives-seek
CanadaMay 02, 2025

Carney says he'll trigger a byelection if Conservatives seek

Prime Minister Mark Carney has made a big announcement that if the Conservatives vacate a seat for a by-election in an attempt to send Pierre Poilievre to Parliament, he will approve the by-election as soon as possible without any politics.It is worth noting that Poilievre lost the election in the Carlton riding of Ottawa in the election held on April 28, a seat he had held for 20 years. The Conservatives still want to keep him as party leader, but since Poilievre does not have a seat in the House of Commons, the party is considering several options, including having Poliav contest the by-el
police-charge-accused-attackers-and-victims-in-calgary-vigilante-case
CanadaMay 02, 2025

Police charge accused attackers and victims in Calgary vigilante case

Police in Calgary have charged seven people in what they're calling a case of vigilante justice. They say it began when officers arrested three men and a youth who had allegedly lured a man through an online dating app to a remote location. Police say the man was assaulted with a baseball bat and a replica gun, and his vehicle was vandalized. They say officers recovered video of the assaults from cellphones and further investigation revealed two similar attacks. The accused face charges including aggravated assault and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence. Police say th
over-2-million-ninja-branded-pressure-cookers-are-recalled-after-reports-of-serious-burn-injuries
CanadaMay 01, 2025

Over 2 million Ninja-branded pressure cookers are recalled after reports of serious burn injuries

SharkNinja is recalling more than 2 million pressure cookers sold in the U.S. and Canada _ after consumers reported over 100 burn injuries spanning from a hazard that can cause hot food to spew out.According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Ninja-branded ``Foodi OP300 Series Multi-Function Pressure Cookers'' have a lid that can be opened while the cooker is in use. That can cause hot contents to escape, posing serious burn risks. SharkNinja has received 106 reports of burn injuries _ including more than 50 reports of second or third-degree burns. Consumers in possession of the
ontario-sees-sharpest-rise-in-measles-yet-with-223-new-infections-since-last-week
CanadaMay 01, 2025

Ontario sees sharpest rise in measles yet with 223 new infections since last week

Ontario is reporting its highest increase in measles cases since its outbreak began, with 223 new infections in the province over the past week. That brings the total number of people in the province who have fallen ill from the virus to 1,243 since October. Public Health Ontario said in a report today that 84 people have been hospitalized _ including 63 children _ during the course of this outbreak. Eight patients have been admitted to intensive care. The agency notes that its southwestern public health unit has had 57 new infections, compared to 15 the previous the week. Neighbouring Grand
vancouver-whitecaps-reach-champions-cup-final-with-a-historic-win-over-inter-miami
BCMay 01, 2025

Vancouver Whitecaps reach Champions Cup final with a historic win over Inter Miami

Vancouver Whitecaps have made history by defeating Lionel Messi's Inter Miami to reach the final of the CONCACAF Championship. Vancouver's football team defeated Inter Miami 3-1 in the second match of this championship at Chase Stadium in Florida on Wednesday night. Earlier, Inter Miami had lost 2-0 to the Whitecaps at BC Place Stadium. Thus, the Canadian team won the two semi-final matches with a total score of 5-1. This is the first time in the history of the Vancouver Whitecaps club that the team has reached the final of the CONCACAF Championship Cup. Before this, it had only reached the
canada-to-review-19-billion-purchase-of-us-made-fighter-jets
CanadaMay 01, 2025

Canada to review $19-billion purchase of US-made fighter jets

The Canadian government is reviewing a $19-billion purchase of US-made fighter jets, but defense experts warn it could anger Trump as Ottawa and Washington prepare to negotiate a new economic and security relationship. Mark Carney, who took office as prime minister in March, ordered a review of the F-35 fighter jet purchase from Lockheed Martin as the trade war between Canada and the United States escalated. A Department of National Defence spokesman said Wednesday that the F-35 purchase is under review but could not say when it would be completed. However, experts believe it is unlikely t
quebec-province-to-completely-ban-cellphones-and-other-electronic-devices-in-schools
CanadaMay 01, 2025

Quebec to ban cellphones in elementary and high schools during entire school day

The Quebec government is expanding its cellphone ban in schools, prohibiting the devices on the grounds of the province's elementary and high schools for the entire school day. Education Minister Bernard Drainville says the measure will encourage young people to socialize and will help prevent cyberbullying. Cellphones have already been prohibited in Quebec classrooms since January 2024, with a few exceptions. The new ban takes effect this fall and will apply from the beginning to the end of the school day, including during lunch breaks and in hallways, cafeterias and schoolyards. The ban was

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees