15.98°C Vancouver

News

softball-excitement-in-surrey-team-canada-takes-on-new-zealand-and-ukraine-in-canada-cup
BCJul 08, 2025

Softball excitement in Surrey, Team Canada takes on New Zealand and Ukraine in Canada Cup

The Canada Cup has begun at Softball City in Surrey. This is the 30th edition of the Canada Cup and Team Canada, fresh from its gold medal performance at the Pan-American championship in Columbia, will play two matches in Surrey. The Canadian women's team will face New Zealand at 6 p.m. today and then Ukraine at 8:30 p.m. The final match of the tournament will be played on Sunday. Apart from the Canadian team, strong teams like Czechia, Greece, Kingdom of the Netherlands, Israel, Triple Crown Colorado and Team BC are also participating in the tournament. Today, players from Team Canada were a
iio-seeks-witnesses-to-arrest-and-death-of-burnaby-b-c-man
BCJul 08, 2025

IIO seeks witnesses to arrest and death of Burnaby, B.C., man

The Independent Investigations Office of BC says it is looking for witnesses to the arrest and death of a man in Burnaby, B.C., last week. It says in a news release that Burnaby RCMP officers reported they were called to the 7000 block of Hillview Street shortly after 4:30 p.m. last Friday. The IIO says callers reported concerns about a man "creating a disturbance and possibly suffering a mental health issue." The IIO says police found the man outside his home but as officers went to take him into custody, the man went into medical distress. It says officers provided medical aid and he was tak
all-criminal-trials-in-four-b-c-courts-to-be-rescheduled-during-fifa-world-cup
BCJul 07, 2025

All criminal trials in four B.C. courts to be rescheduled during FIFA World Cup

The chief justice of the British Columbia Supreme Court says all criminal trials that were to take place in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and New Westminster during the FIFA World Cup next year will have to be rescheduled. Chief Justice Ron Skolrood says in a notice posted Monday that the tournament is expected to have "very significant impacts" on court operations at the affected Supreme Court locations. The notice says neither jury nor judge-only criminal trials will take place at the four locations from June 12 to July 8, 2026, and that no civil jury trials will take place either. It sa
police-looking-for-vehicle-involved-in-pedestrian-hit-and-run
BCJul 07, 2025

Police looking for vehicle involved in pedestrian hit-and-run

Prince George RCMP is currently on the scene of a pedestrian hit-and-run that occurred near the intersection of North Ospika Boulevard and McRae Avenue today, July 7, 2025, at approximately 9:00 a.m. The victims were two cyclists who were on the side of the road, both of whom have been transported to hospital with serious injuries. Police officers have since located the suspect vehicle, identified as a newer model, black Dodge Ram 1500, and have one man in custody in relation to this investigation. Investigators currently have a large section of Ospika Boulevard blocked off in both directi
received-about-half-a-dozen-death-threats-during-eight-years-in-office-bowinn-ma
BCJul 07, 2025

Received about half a dozen death threats during eight years in office: Bowinn Ma

Bowinn Ma says she won't be intimidated from continuing her work and serving the community even after an explosive went off outside her constituency office last week. The provincial infrastructure minister says in her eight years as a member of the legislature, she can recall receiving about half a dozen death threats. Ma says that actually makes her relatively fortunate, adding she knows other elected officials who have been the subject of many more such threats. Police are investigating after an explosive blasted open the front door of Ma's North Vancouver constituency office.
damdama-gatka-championship-held-in-surrey
BCJul 07, 2025

Damdama Gatka Championship held in Surrey

The sound of swords and shields echoed through Surrey this past weekend as the Damdama Gatka Championship brought dozens of competitors together for a spirited celebration of Sikh martial arts. The tournament, hosted at [insert venue if available], featured competitors from across Canada and the United States. Organizers said the event is designed to preserve and promote Gatka, a traditional martial art of the Sikhs that combines physical skill with spiritual discipline. In the Singh division, Antarpreet Singh of Surrey’s Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji Gatka Akhara won gold, while teammate Gurm
wildfire-burning-near-lytton-b-c-grows-to-245-hectares
BCJul 07, 2025

Wildfire burning near Lytton, B.C, grows to 245 hectares

The only blaze of note identified by the BC Wildfire Service continues to grow. The Izman Creek wildfire near Lytton is now burning 245 hectares, and the danger remains, despite an evacuation order from the Neskonlith Indian Band for about 40 properties in the area being downgraded to an alert last week. This latest blaze comes just over four years after a wildfire destroyed much of Lytton. Lytton is located in the Thompson-Nicola Regional District, which has an evacuation alert in effect for some properties under its jurisdictiondue to the Izman Creek wildfire. The regional district also lift
b-c-man-sentenced-to-11-years-for-cocaine-fentanyl-trafficking
BCJul 04, 2025

B.C. man sentenced to 11 years for cocaine, fentanyl trafficking

B.C. man has been sentenced to 11 years for cocaine, fentanyl trafficking. Jason Thomas Howard Conrad was arrested in 2023 with a shopping bag full of fentanyl, and a large amount of cocaine and cash were also found in his Tesla. According to police, they received a tip in January 2023 that fentanyl was being made at a home on McLeod Court in Richmond. In February, Conrad was seen entering the home empty-handed and returning carrying a backpack that appeared to be full and heavy. When he left the home again in March, he was taken into custody and found 15.6 kilograms of fentanyl in his
manitoba-town-to-evacuate-due-to-wildfire
BCJul 04, 2025

Manitoba town to evacuate due to wildfire

The northern Manitoba town of Lynn Lake has issued a mandatory evacuation order as a nearby wildfire threatens to cause an imminent loss of power to the community. The evacuation begins Friday, though officials haven't provided a time for when residents must be out of their homes. The town says that if wildfire activity affects Manitoba Hydro transmission lines, residents could see a power outage lasting at least one month. Town officials also noted several other wildfires near Lynn Lake, including two blazes to the southeast that could cut off travel between Lynn Lake and Thompson. A receptio

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to