21.96°C Vancouver

News

seven-year-sentence-handed-down-for-port-moody-home-invasion-tied-to-cryptocurrency-theft
BCNov 19, 2025

Seven year sentence handed down for Port Moody home invasion tied to cryptocurrency theft

A man who carried out a violent home invasion in Port Moody last year as part of an attempt to steal cryptocurrency has been sentenced to seven years in prison. Court records show Tsz Wing Boaz Chan entered a guilty plea to break and enter, sexual assault and forcible confinement in connection with the April 27, 2024 incident. Port Moody Police say Chan was taken into custody last summer when he returned to Canada through Vancouver International Airport. Investigators allege the motive behind the robbery was the theft of digital currency, though police have not released information about the v
explosive-device-triggers-neighbourhood-evacuation-during-police-search-in-prince-george
BCNov 19, 2025

Explosive device triggers neighbourhood evacuation during police search in Prince George

Police in Prince George evacuated several homes Wednesday after officers uncovered an explosive device while carrying out a drug related search warrant at a residence on Eighth Avenue. The discovery halted the ongoing search and prompted a call for a bomb disposal team from the Lower Mainland, which was expected to arrive later in the day. RCMP said officers who initially entered the home withdrew for safety reasons but have remained on site to secure the area. The incident has caused temporary displacement for nearby residents as police work to stabilize the scene. Authorities have not releas
wind-warning-for-haida-gwaii-as-strong-frontal-system-brings-gusts-up-to-110-km-h
BCNov 19, 2025

Wind warning for Haida Gwaii as strong frontal system brings gusts up to 110 km/h

Environment Canada has issued a wind warning for Haida Gwaii as a powerful frontal system moves across British Columbia’s north coast. Forecasters say the system is expected to generate gusts reaching 110 kilometres an hour, with conditions easing later in the day. The agency is advising residents to secure outdoor items and prepare for possible service disruptions, including impacts to power, ferry travel and local transportation. High winds frequently affect coastal communities at this time of year, and emergency officials in B.C. typically encourage households to keep basic supplies ready
charges-laid-after-alleged-metro-vancouver-casino-fraud-scheme-totals-45-000-dollars
BCNov 19, 2025

Charges laid after alleged Metro Vancouver casino fraud scheme totals 45,000 dollars

Provincial anti-gang investigators say two Metro Vancouver residents are facing fraud charges following an alleged scheme that targeted multiple casinos across the Lower Mainland. British Columbia’s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says it launched an investigation in April after casino operators reported irregular transactions involving tens of thousands of dollars. According to police, the activity took place over roughly two weeks between mid-March and April, generating about 45,000 dollars in alleged illicit proceeds. Investigators have not released detailed information about how
man-dies-after-downtown-vancouver-stabbing-as-police-probe-citys-26th-homicide-of-the-year
BCNov 18, 2025

Man dies after downtown Vancouver stabbing as police probe city’s 26th homicide of the year

Vancouver police are investigating a fatal stabbing in the downtown core after a man was attacked near Granville and Helmcken streets Monday afternoon. Officers say they were called to the area around 3:15 p.m., where the victim was found with serious injuries. The man was taken to hospital but did not survive. Police have not released his identity, and no information on possible suspects or a motive has been made public. The killing marks Vancouver’s 26th homicide of the year, a figure that continues to draw concern in communities across the Lower Mainland where public safety has become a r
abbotsford-police-probe-early-morning-shooting-tied-to-ongoing-extortion-investigation
BCNov 18, 2025

Abbotsford police probe early morning shooting tied to ongoing extortion investigation

Abbotsford police are examining an overnight shooting they believe is connected to a continuing extortion case affecting residents in the Fraser Valley. Officers were called to the 2500 block of Janzen Street shortly before 4 a.m. after reports of gunfire in a residential neighbourhood. Police say two vehicles parked in a driveway were hit by several rounds, but no one inside the home was injured. Investigators believe the property was intentionally targeted, reflecting a pattern seen in recent extortion-related incidents reported in parts of the Lower Mainland. Local police and community advo
b-c-outlines-new-plan-to-attract-major-investment-as-eby-presses-ottawa-for-stronger-economic-push
BCNov 18, 2025

B.C. outlines new plan to attract major investment as Eby presses Ottawa for stronger economic push

British Columbia Premier David Eby has introduced a long-term economic strategy that aims to draw up to $200 billion in new investments over the next decade, positioning the province as a key driver of national growth. The initiative, called the Look West plan, outlines how B.C. intends to expand its resource, technology and advanced manufacturing sectors while reducing reliance on U.S. markets. The provincial roadmap highlights several projects already under review by the federal government, including the North Coast Transmission Line, which is intended to support future mining and clean-ener
langley-rcmp-search-for-two-suspects-after-hit-and-run-involving-unmarked-police-vehicle
BCNov 17, 2025

Langley RCMP search for two suspects after hit and run involving unmarked police vehicle

Police in Langley say they are looking for two people who ran from the scene of a hit and run that involved an unmarked Abbotsford Police vehicle late Friday evening. The collision took place around 7:20 p.m. in the 5200 block of 264 Street, an area that links rural Langley to several major Fraser Valley routes. Investigators say a white GMC Canyon pickup struck the unmarked vehicle, injuring the officer inside. The officer was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and has since been released. Members of both Langley RCMP and the Abbotsford Police Department responded to the sce
burnaby-rcmp-urges-caution-after-five-people-struck-on-local-roads-in-two-days
BCNov 14, 2025

Burnaby RCMP urges caution after five people struck on local roads in two days

Burnaby RCMP is calling on both drivers and pedestrians to take extra care as winter conditions set in, after officers responded to five separate incidents involving cyclists, pedestrians, or scooter users over the past two days. Police say the collisions occurred during dark and rainy periods, conditions that typically lead to reduced visibility on local roads. Cpl. Mike Kalanj said the seasonal weather continues to create higher risks for anyone travelling on or near busy streets. He noted that most of the recent collisions happened in marked crosswalks or bike lanes. Three of the individual

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to