18.9°C Vancouver

News

vancouver-police-seek-public-help-identifying-suspect-in-kitsilano-assault
BCAug 10, 2026

Vancouver police seek public help identifying suspect in Kitsilano assault

Vancouver police are asking the public to help identify a man accused of assaulting a 73-year-old man in Vancouver’s Kitsilano neighbourhood on July 31. According to Vancouver Police Department, officers were called after the two men became involved in a verbal altercation. Police allege the suspect had been yelling at passersby before the victim approached him and asked him to stop and leave the area. Investigators allege the suspect then pushed the victim to the ground. The 73-year-old suffered head injuries in the incident, police said. Police describe the suspect as a Caucasian man with
b-c-first-nations-leaders-urge-governments-to-halt-proposed-west-coast-pipeline
BCAug 10, 2026

B.C. First Nations leaders urge governments to halt proposed West Coast pipeline

Several First Nations leaders in British Columbia are calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith to immediately stop efforts to advance a proposed West Coast oil pipeline. In a letter to Carney and Smith, the Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs opposed the project, saying further expansion of the oil industry could contribute to climate change and increase the risks associated with natural disasters. The First Nations leaders allege that governments have not engaged in meaningful consultation with them. They say the proposed pipeline route and potential invest
targeted-shooting-in-surreys-whalley-area-leaves-one-person-injured
BCAug 10, 2026

Targeted shooting in Surrey’s Whalley area leaves one person injured

A person was injured in a targeted shooting outside a home in Surrey’s Whalley area late Friday night. According to the Surrey Police Service, officers responded to the area of 88 Avenue and 127 Street at about 11:45 p.m. and found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound. The suspect had left the scene before police arrived. BC Emergency Health Services transported the victim to hospital. Police say the person’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. The Surrey Police Service Major Crime Section is investigating. Police say their initial investigation indicates the shooting appear
BCAug 10, 2026

31-year-old Mississauga man found dead after boat overturns on Stewart Lake

A 31-year-old man from Mississauga has died after a boat overturned on Stewart Lake in central Ontario, according to Ontario Provincial Police. Police said emergency crews were called to the area near Georgian Bay Township at about 8 p.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a missing person in the lake. The boat, carrying two people, overturned about 40 feet from shore, police said. One person was safely removed from the water by a nearby boater, while the second person went underwater and did not resurface. The OPP’s Underwater Search and Recovery Unit recovered the 31-year-old man’s bod
motorcyclist-seriously-injured-after-surrey-police-attempted-traffic-stop-iio-investigating
BCAug 07, 2026

Motorcyclist seriously injured after Surrey police attempted traffic stop; IIO investigating

A motorcyclist was taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries after a collision in Surrey early Friday following an attempted traffic stop by the Surrey Police Service. According to a Surrey Police Service news release, an officer attempted to stop a speeding motorcycle at about 3:30 a.m. near the Trans-Canada Highway and the 104 Avenue off-ramp. Police said the rider fled into oncoming traffic before colliding with a civilian vehicle. The motorcyclist was transported to hospital by BC Emergency Health Services for treatment. Police said no other people were injured in th
rcmp-investigating-five-suspicious-brush-fires-near-shuswap-lake-amid-extreme-wildfire-danger
BCAug 07, 2026

RCMP investigating five suspicious brush fires near Shuswap Lake amid extreme wildfire danger

RCMP are investigating five suspicious brush fires reported in the Shuswap Lake area after multiple fires broke out within a short period Wednesday evening while the region was under an extreme wildfire danger rating. According to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, three fires were reported along Squilax–Anglemont Road, each approximately 100 metres apart. Shortly afterward, two additional fires were reported in the nearby Anglemont Estates area. Officials said the fires were contained quickly due to the prompt response of local residents and firefighters, preventing significant damage.
b-c-adds-17-800-net-jobs-in-july-as-unemployment-rate-falls-to-6-2
BCAug 07, 2026

B.C. adds 17,800 net jobs in July as unemployment rate falls to 6.2%

British Columbia added a net 17,800 jobs in July, bringing the province's unemployment rate down to 6.2 per cent, according to employment figures highlighted by B.C. Jobs and Economic Development Minister Ravi Kahlon. Kahlon said the province recorded the largest increase in full-time employment in Canada during the month, with 32,500 full-time jobs added. The increase included 16,200 new full-time positions held by women, according to the provincial government. The minister also said B.C.'s manufacturing sector gained 3,100 jobs in July, while employment in the agriculture sector increased 43
premier-eby-addresses-wildfire-response-confirms-arrival-of-international-firefighting-crews
BCAug 07, 2026

Premier Eby addresses wildfire response, confirms arrival of international firefighting crews

Premier David Eby addressed reporters in Abbotsford on Thursday evening following continued questions about his public absence during British Columbia's ongoing wildfire emergency. During the news conference, Eby issued an update on the province's wildfire response and confirmed the arrival of additional international firefighting personnel. According to the premier, a second contingent of firefighters from Mexico, Australia and New Zealand has arrived in British Columbia to support wildfire suppression efforts. The crews will work alongside personnel from Alberta, Quebec and Yukon to strength
BCAug 07, 2026

B.C. considers cutting development charges to spur housing construction in high-growth communities

The British Columbia government is considering reducing development cost charges to encourage the construction of new homes in the province's fastest-growing communities. Housing Minister Christine Boyle confirmed the province is in discussions with the federal government on a proposal that would reduce development cost charges by up to 50 per cent for multi-unit housing projects in rapidly growing municipalities. According to the minister, the plan also includes exploring options to offset the funding shortfall municipalities would face if the fees are reduced. Development cost charges are pa

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to