24.08°C Vancouver

News

adults-living-working-in-whistler-b-c-eligible-for-covid-19vaccine-on-monday
BCApr 12, 2021

Adults living, working in Whistler, B.C., eligible for COVID-19 vaccine on Monday

Adults living and working in Whistler, B.C., will be able to receive their COVID-19 vaccination starting Monday. Vancouver Coastal Health says eligible residents will be required to provide proof of their permanent resident address in Whistler with a provincialdriver's licence or valid credit card statement, or present a recent paystub to confirm their employment in the area. Whistler adults between 18 and 54 years of age will receive a vaccination at the Whistler Conference Centre. Those 55 to 65 years old can receive the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine at a local pharmacy or wait to receive a P
b-c-reports-1-262-covid-19-cases-active-cases-rise-past-9-500
BCApr 10, 2021

B.C. reports 1,262 COVID-19 cases; Active cases rise past 9,500

British Columbia is reporting nearly 1,300 cases of COVID-19 for a second day in a row as the province marks a milestone by administering a million doses of vaccine. Provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint release that only 87,600 of the shots are second doses and everyone must continue following all public health orders. They are reporting 1,262 new cases and are asking people to avoid travel and indoor gatherings outside of a household, adding that even people who have mild symptoms should get tested for infection. Another two people have
latest-unemployment-numbers-show-more-people-are-working-now-in-the-province-than-before-the-pandemic-hit-ravi-kahlon
BCApr 09, 2021

Latest unemployment numbers show more people are working now in the province than before the pandemic hit: Ravi Kahlon

The jobless rate across Canada dipped sharply in March to 7.5 per cent, its lowest level since the COVID-19 pandemic began, but the numbers in British Columbia didn't budge. Statistics Canada says more than 300,000 jobs were added countrywide last month, pushing the unemployment rate down from 8.2 per cent in February. BC's Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation says the latest unemployment numbers show more people are working now in the province than before the pandemic hit. Ravi Kahlon says, counting the 35,000 jobs created in BC last month, the province now has 11 consecutive
b-c-liquor-servers-to-get-pay-boost-on-par-with-general-minimum-wage-increase
BCApr 09, 2021

B.C. liquor servers to get pay boost on par with general minimum wage increase

The British Columbia government says the province's lowest-paid workers, liquor servers, are getting a pay boost to match the general minimum wage that's also set to increase in June. Labour Minister Harry Bains says he's proud to put an end to the discriminatory lower minimum wage for liquor servers, 80 per cent of whom are women. The province says liquor servers earning minimum wage will make $15.20 an hour, up from $13.95, effective June 1. The general minimum wage is increasing by 60 cents from $14.60 an hour, and the minimum rates for live-in camp leaders and resident caretakers are also
covid-19-rebate-cheques-reaching-by-end-of-april
BCApr 09, 2021

COVID-19 rebate cheques reaching by end of April​​

ICBC is on track to mail out all 2.86 million cheques by the end of this month to customers eligible for a share of $600 million in COVID-19-related rebates. Two weeks ago, ICBC began mailing small batches of COVID-19 rebate cheques directly to eligible customers. Large-scale distribution through the vendor started April 6 and, as of Thursday, April 8, approximately 940,000 cheques have been issued. ICBC is proceeding with its third-party vendor, with extra security measures in place, to print and distribute the vast majority of the remaining COVID-19 rebate cheques. This large mailout, origin
two-men-from-surrey-and-burnaby-face-charges-linked-to-drugs-and-firearms-after-a-two-year-investigation-police
BCApr 09, 2021

Two men from Surrey and Burnaby face charges linked to drugs and firearms after a two-year investigation: Police

Police say a two-year investigation into an organized crime group has led to charges linked to drugs and firearms against a pair of men, one from Burnaby, and another from Surrey. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says investigators executed two search warrants leading to the seizure of items including a loaded semi-automatic handgun, a rifle, 200 rounds of ammunition and drugs such as cocaine and heroin, along with over 100,000 dollars in cash. The unit says the money, as well as three vehicles and jewelry from a home have been referred to the province's civil forfeiture office. A
BCApr 09, 2021

Education minister says no need to close the schools as province's comprehensive safety plans are working

BC's education minister says she understands that rising COVID-19 case numbers have parents anxious about potential spread to schools but she believes there's no need to close them because the province's comprehensive safety plans are working. Jennifer Whiteside says health authorities and school districts are working together to keep students in school because it's important for them to maintain connections there. But teachers in the Fraser Health region are calling for a hybrid in-class and online learning model as variants rise, and they want masks to be mandatory for all students, not jus
new-funding-for-b-c-businesses-affected-by-covid-19-rules
BCApr 09, 2021

New funding for B.C. businesses affected by COVID-19 rules

New funding will be available to businesses in British Columbia affected by the latest measures to fight the spread of COVID-19, but the economic recovery minister says those who break the health orders need not apply. The B.C. government has established a $50-million fund for about 14,000 businesses, such as restaurants, bars and breweries, that have been affected by the provincial health officer's orders, which end April 19. Businesses are eligible for up to $10,000 in a one-time payment to cover expenses like perishables, rent or employee wages. Economic Recovery Minister Ravi Kahlon says t
dr-bonnie-henry-announces-new-expedited-workplace-order-as-b-c-sets-new-daily-covid-19-case-record-with-1-293-infections
BCApr 09, 2021

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces new expedited workplace order as B.C. sets new daily COVID-19 case record with 1,293 infections

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is putting a new expedited workplace order in place to help limit the spread of COVID-19. Dr. Henry says the order will allow WorkSafe B-C to issue temporary closure notices to workplaces where three or more workers are sick. The orders lasting at least 10 days will only be issued when transmission has been proven to have occurred in the workplace. Dr. Henry says the aim is to control and prevent outbreaks so she doesn't have to shut down all non-essential workplaces. British Columbia is reporting 1,293 new COVID-19 cases, smashing previous daily rec

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to