25.58°C Vancouver

News

vancouver-lapu-lapu-day-festival-to-return-april-19-with-new-safety-measures-after-2025-attack
BCMar 12, 2026

Vancouver Lapu Lapu Day festival to return April 19 with new safety measures after 2025 attack

Organizers say Vancouver’s annual Lapu Lapu Day festival will return April 19, nearly a year after a vehicle ramming attack at last year’s event killed 11 people. Filipino BC announced the gathering will be held at the Italian Cultural Centre rather than on surrounding community streets, saying the venue change is intended to prioritize safety while allowing the Filipino community to come together for reflection. According to a statement from the organization, this year’s event will be called the “Lapu Lapu Day of Togetherness,” focusing on shared reflection and healing following the
rcmp-seize-large-quantities-of-drugs-firearms-in-southeast-district-trafficking-investigation
BCMar 12, 2026

RCMP seize large quantities of drugs, firearms in Southeast District trafficking investigation

A drug trafficking investigation led by the RCMP Federal Policing Pacific Region’s Drugs and Organized Crime Team in Kelowna has resulted in the seizure of large quantities of illicit drugs, firearms and cash following coordinated searches in Kelowna and Penticton. According to an RCMP statement, investigators began the probe in 2024 into suspected drug trafficking activity in the Southeast District. On Dec. 17, 2025, officers executed search warrants on two vehicles and three residences in Kelowna and Penticton with assistance from the Kelowna, West Kelowna and Penticton RCMP detachments, a
chilliwack-rcmp-seek-witnesses-dash-cam-footage-after-assault-victim-dies-in-hospital
BCMar 12, 2026

Chilliwack RCMP seek witnesses, dash cam footage after assault victim dies in hospital

The Chilliwack RCMP Serious Crime Unit is asking the public for information as investigators examine whether an earlier assault contributed to the death of a 49-year-old man. Police said officers were notified on March 7 that the man, who had been assaulted on Feb. 21, died in hospital. According to an RCMP news release, investigators believe the assault may have been a contributing factor in the death and the Serious Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. The incident is believed to have occurred around 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 21 along Railway Avenue near Young Road. Police say the victim an
pacific-storm-brings-wind-warnings-and-mountain-snow-across-southern-b-c
BCMar 11, 2026

Pacific storm brings wind warnings and mountain snow across southern B.C.

A Pacific storm system moved into southwestern British Columbia on Wednesday, bringing wind warnings for coastal communities and fresh snowfall forecasts for higher elevations across the province. Environment Canada said in a special weather statement that there is a slight chance of brief sea-level snowfall in parts of Metro Vancouver as the system moves through. Any low-elevation snow is expected to be short-lived. Flurries earlier in the week did not accumulate at Vancouver International Airport, keeping Vancouver on track for what could become its first officially snow-free winter in more
man-charged-after-four-alleged-stranger-assaults-on-women-in-downtown-vancouver
BCMar 11, 2026

Man charged after four alleged stranger assaults on women in downtown Vancouver

A 28-year-old man has been charged in connection with a series of alleged stranger assaults targeting women in downtown Vancouver over a one-year period, according to the Vancouver Police Department. Police say the investigation began Jan. 29, 2025, after a 44-year-old woman reported she was assaulted by a man she did not know while walking near the intersection of Granville and Dunsmuir streets. According to police, three additional women later reported similar incidents in the downtown core. Investigators allege the suspect elbowed or shoulder-checked women while passing them on sidewalks, i
man-charged-with-second-degree-murder-in-2024-killing-of-84-year-old-in-port-hardy
BCMar 11, 2026

Man charged with second-degree murder in 2024 killing of 84-year-old in Port Hardy

A 54-year-old man from Prince Rupert has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of an 84-year-old man in Port Hardy on northern Vancouver Island. According to a release from Port Hardy RCMP, the suspect was arrested in Prince Rupert last Friday without incident following a lengthy investigation by major crime investigators. Police say officers were called on Oct. 6, 2024, after reports of an injured man on a pathway in Port Hardy. The 84-year-old victim, who had been living in the community, was taken to hospital but later died from his injuries. RCMP say the case
langley-rcmp-investigate-robbery-during-facebook-marketplace-meeting
BCMar 10, 2026

Langley RCMP investigate robbery during Facebook Marketplace meeting

Police in Langley say they are investigating a robbery that occurred during a meeting arranged through an online marketplace. According to a news release from the Langley RCMP, officers received a report at about 6:28 p.m. on March 9 from a woman who said she was robbed while attempting to sell a designer handbag she had listed on Facebook Marketplace. Police say the victim arranged to meet a prospective buyer at a residential building in the 20000 block of 85 Avenue at about 6:20 p.m. The suspect initially viewed the handbag inside the building, then asked the victim to bring it outside so he
BCMar 10, 2026

Fire displaces about 100 residents from Mission retirement home

About 100 residents of a Mission retirement residence were displaced after a large fire broke out at the building Monday evening, according to the City of Mission. Emergency crews from the Mission Fire and Rescue Service, Mission RCMP and BC Emergency Health Services responded to Chartwell Carrington House shortly before 6 p.m. on March 9 after a fire started inside the retirement residence on 7th Avenue. First responders entered the building and helped elderly residents evacuate as flames spread. Residents were initially brought outside to the street, with some temporarily sheltered at a near
abbotsford-police-searching-for-suspects-after-woman-reports-sexual-assault
BCMar 10, 2026

Abbotsford police searching for suspects after woman reports sexual assault

Police in Abbotsford say they are investigating after a woman reported she was taken to a rural area against her will and sexually assaulted by four men earlier this month. According to a release from the Abbotsford Police Department, the woman told investigators she was picked up by four men on Feb. 10 near the intersection of Cannon Avenue and Bevan Avenue in Abbotsford. Police say the woman reported that the men then drove her to the Sumas Mountain area and refused to let her leave the vehicle. Investigators say she was sexually assaulted at that location. The suspects are described as Sout

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees