18.43°C Vancouver

News

heat-wave-dubbed-dangerous-historic-bakes-much-of-western-canada
BCJun 28, 2021

Heat wave dubbed 'dangerous,' 'historic,' bakes much of Western Canada

Environment Canada warns the torrid heat wave that has settled over much of Western Canada won't lift for days, although parts of British Columbia and Yukon could see some relief sooner. Heat warnings remain posted across B.C. and Alberta, large parts of Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories and a section of Yukon as the weather office forecasts temperatures reaching 40 C in some areas.Sixty temperature records fell Sunday in B.C., including in the Village of Lytton, where the mercury reached 46.6 C -- breaking the all-time Canadian high of 45 C, set in Saskatchewan in 1937.Environment Canada w
b-c-reports-72-new-covid-19-cases-as-pop-up-clinics-move-indoors-due-to-heat
BCJun 26, 2021

B.C. reports 72 new COVID-19 cases, as pop-up clinics move indoors due to heat

British Columbia health officials are urging residents to prepare for high temperatures if they attend vaccination clinics this weekend. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that many pop-up vaccination sites have moved indoors to cooler locations in preparation for the extreme heat expected this weekend. B.C. reported 72 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, for a total of 147,418 since the pandemic began. The province is also reporting two new deaths along with 1,096 active cases. The statement says 76.2 per cent of all residents 12 and
bc-supreme-court-judge-to-sentence-on-july-7ththe-man-convicted-of-stabbing-two-young-girls-and-killing-one-of-them
BCJun 26, 2021

B.C. Supreme Court judge to sentence on July 7th the man convicted of stabbing two young girls and killing one of them

A BC Supreme Court judge says she will hand down sentencing on July 7th for the man convicted of stabbing two young girls inside an Abbotsford high school killing one of them. Gabriel Klein was convicted of second-degree murder in the death of 13-year-old Letisha Reimer and aggravated assault in the stabbing of her friend. The murder conviction brings an automatic life sentence, but the judge must determine when Klein will be eligible for parole. The defence told the court Klein should be eligible after 12 years, while the Crown says he should have to serve a minimum of 18 years.
council-approves-electric-kick-scooter-pilot-project
BCJun 25, 2021

Council approves electric kick scooter pilot project

City Council has approved the personal use of privately-owned electric kick scooters throughout Vancouver on minor streets (without lane lines or directional dividing lines) and protected bike lanes as part of a provincially led pilot program.People using electric kick scooters must follow the same rules as cyclists and be at least 16 years old. Eligible scooters must meet provincial requirements, including being limited to speeds below 24km/h. A driver’s licence and insurance are not required. Rentals and shared programs are not part of the pilot at this time but may be considered in the fu
b-c-doctor-wants-action-to-prevent-children-falling-from-windows
BCJun 25, 2021

B.C. doctor wants action to prevent children falling from windows

Two children have died in BC after falling from windows this year, and that has a pediatric neurosurgeon urging parents to take precautions, especially as a heat wave is forecast for the province. But Doctor Ash Singhal says the provincial government should also require the construction industry to restrict openings of windows to protect kids. He notes that along with the fatalities, several other kids have been treated at BC Children's Hospital for injuries suffered in falls. The National Research Council accepted a proposal by the City of Calgary last year to change the national building co
meng-loses-publication-ban-request-on-hsbc-materials-obtained-via-hong-kong-court
BCJun 25, 2021

Meng loses publication ban request on HSBC materials obtained via Hong Kong court

The Supreme Court of British Columbia has dismissed an application for a publication ban from Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou on new evidence that her legal team wants to introduce in her fight against extradition to the United States. Legal counsel for a media consortium including The Canadian Press that opposed the ban advises that the application has been dismissed, but the reasons for the decision have not been provided to CP or reviewed by it and they have not been publicly released. Meng's lawyers obtained the new material from HSBC through an agreement in a Hong Kong court t
translink-invests-125-million-into-upgrading-regional-walkways-cycling-paths-and-roads
BCJun 24, 2021

TransLink invests $125 million into upgrading regional walkways, cycling paths, and roads

TransLink is announcing the investment of $125 million into upgrading, maintaining, or building new regional walkways, cycling paths, and roads through our Municipal Funding Program. This program annually invests in infrastructure upgrades and maintenance that benefit pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and transit users throughout the region. For the first time since the program’s inception, all 23 local governments in Metro Vancouver will receive funding for various types of infrastructure improvements within their community. The $125 million awarded this year will help construct or improve 13
surrey-rcmp-are-seeking-dash-cam-footage-following-a-collison-in-newton
BCJun 24, 2021

Surrey RCMP are seeking dash cam footage following a Collison in Newton

Surrey RCMP is investigating a collision that occurred in the Newton area on Tuesday evening and asking for anyone who witnessed the collision or may have dash cam footage to contact police. On June 22, 2021, at 5:21 pm, Surrey RCMP responded to a collision at the intersection of 138 Street and 74 Avenue. The collision involved two vehicles and one pedestrian. The pedestrian suffered serious non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to local hospital. All parties involved remained on scene and are cooperating with the police investigation. Surrey RCMP Criminal Collison Investigation Team (
mayor-mccallum-called-on-to-do-the-right-and-respectful-thing-at-next-council-meeting-says-councillor-linda-annis
BCJun 24, 2021

Mayor McCallum called on to “do the right and respectful thing” at next council meeting, says councillor Linda Annis

Surrey First Councillor Linda Annis wants Mayor Doug McCallum to begin council’s next meeting on Monday, June 28 with a First Nations land and territorial acknowledgement, and if he doesn’t, she will. "Acknowledging our Indigenous people is the right and respectful thing to do," said Annis. "The fact that the mayor refuses to do that doesn’t mean individual councillors can’t do it when we first speak in council. If the mayor continues to refuse, then I will acknowledge our First Nations the first time I get to speak, and I will encourage other councillors to do the same." "Surrey has t

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to