15.79°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-774-new-covid-19-cases-and-5-deaths
BCSep 10, 2021

B.C. reports 774 new Covid-19 cases and 5 deaths

B.C. is reporting 774 new cases of COVID-19, including three epi-linked cases, for a total of 172,338 cases in the province.There are 5,594 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 164,470 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 262 individuals are in hospital and 130 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation. In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,847.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: threeNorthern Health: oneIsland Health: oneThere have been no new health-care facility outb
accused-pleads-guilty-to-fraud-charges-after-130-000-stolen-through-medical-office
BCSep 09, 2021

Accused pleads guilty to fraud charges after $130,000 stolen through medical office

In September 2018 the New Westminster Police Department received a report of suspected fraud connected to a New Westminster medical office. The victim claimed that cash was missing from the medical office, and that suspicious large withdrawals were appearing in the bank account connected to the business. The NWPD Major Crime Unit launched an investigation into the missing money and soon took conduct over another investigation involving large withdrawals from another medical office located in Vancouver. In total it is believed approximately $130,000.00 was stolen through both medical offices. A
b-c-opens-consultation-on-anti-racism-legislation-as-groups-praise-data-collection
BCSep 09, 2021

B.C. opens consultation on anti-racism legislation as groups praise data collection

The British Columbia government is asking residents to provide input on proposed anti-racism legislation as members of marginalized communities say the collection of data will help groups flourish. Rachna Singh, the parliamentary secretary for anti-racism initiatives, says the public feedback will help better identify systemic racism in existing government programs. B.C. residents can share their thoughts through an online government portal until Nov. 30. Singh says systemic racism has led to a mistrust in government programs by marginalized groups. Dr. June Francis, an assistant professor at
province-shares-details-of-its-plan-to-trap-and-kill-dozens-of-coyotes-in-stanley-park
BCSep 09, 2021

Province shares details of its plan to trap and kill dozens of coyotes in Stanley Park

The province has released details of its plan to trap and kill dozens of coyotes in Stanley Park over the next two weeks, and the Forest Ministry confirms the cull is underway. It says one coyote was euthanized on Tuesday night and modified foothold traps which minimize the chance of any pain are being used to capture and hold the animals until a provincial wildlife officer arrives to deal with them. The ministry says relocation is not an option, the coyotes are food-conditioned and aggressive, and the stomach contents of each animal will be examined to determine its diet, while all the coyot
strike-force-arrests-one-and-seizes-cash-drugs-and-vehicle-in-operation
BCSep 09, 2021

Strike force arrests one and seizes cash, drugs and vehicle in operation

Victoria police say they arrested a man last week who they believe has connections to Lower Mainland organized crime groups, and has been the subject of a drug-trafficking investigation since late July. Police say they stopped a vehicle in the 4700 block of Sooke Road, arrested the man and seized cash, drugs and the car. Police say they seized nearly 350 grams of cocaine, more than 260 grams of methamphetamine, nearly 100 grams of fentanyl and nearly 22,000 dollars in cash. They say the street value of these drugs is estimated to be more than 60,000 dollars. Victoria police on Twitter: VicPD'
wildfire-situation-in-b-c-getting-better-amid-big-dip-in-evacuation-alerts
BCSep 09, 2021

Wildfire situation in B.C. getting better amid big dip in evacuation alerts

The wildfire situation is continually evolving, and the information below is current as of 7 p.m. (Pacific time) on Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021.Fires:Wildfires burning in B.C.: 209Since April 1, 2021:1,584 wildfires868,604 hectares of area burnedActive fires by fire centre:Cariboo: 25Coastal: 13Kamloops: 59Northwest: 5Prince George: 52Southeast: 55Resources:*Updated weekly and current as of Sept. 2Firefighters and other personnel fighting the fires: 2,522Out-of-province firefighters: 434Helicopters and planes supporting ground crews: 63Evacuations:Evacuation orders: 4 (-1)Evacuation alerts: 14 (-
b-c-reports-814-new-covid-19-cases-22-2-fully-vaccinated-people-found-positive-between-aug-31-to-sept-6
BCSep 09, 2021

B.C. reports 814 new COVID-19 cases; 22.2% fully vaccinated people found positive between Aug. 31 to Sept. 6

B.C. is reporting 814 new cases of COVID-19, including 16 epi-linked cases, for a total of 171,564 cases in the province.There are 5,550 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 163,793 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 261 individuals are in hospital and 129 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,842.From Aug. 31-Sept. 6, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 77.8% of cases and from Aug. 24-Sept. 6, they accounted for 85.9% of ho
plans-for-booster-shots-of-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-on-hold-after-who-appeal
BCSep 09, 2021

Plans for booster shots of COVID-19 vaccine may be on hold after WHO appeal

Any plans BC might have for booster shots of COVID-19 vaccine may be on hold until at least next year. The World Health Organization issued a call this morning for a ``moratorium'' on coronavirus booster shots until the end of December. Health Minister Adrian Dix has said B-C is prepared to offer boosters if health officials say they are required and recommended, but the province has not announced any plans for additional shots for those who are already fully vaccinated. Critics of COVID boosters question the ethics of giving more doses to the fully vaccinated when billions of people in devel
eleven-vpd-officers-injured-assaulted-in-long-weekend-violence
BCSep 08, 2021

Eleven VPD officers injured, assaulted in long-weekend violence

Nearly a dozen Vancouver Police officers are recovering after being injured or assaulted during the Labour Day weekend. "Policing is a tough job, and every day our front-line officers put their own safety at risk," says Sergeant Steve Addison. "Unfortunately, we continue to see officers getting hurt while trying to do their jobs and keep others out of harm’s way."Recent incidents of note:A 21-year-old woman was arrested near Knight Street and East 54th Avenue on Monday after a man was stabbed and robbed of his bike. The suspect spat in the face and hair of the arresting officer, who was read

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to