16.32°C Vancouver

News

thirty-four-australian-firefighting-personnelset-to-arrive-in-b-c-today
BCJul 27, 2021

Thirty-four Australian firefighting personnelset to arrive in B-C today

Thirty-four Australian firefighting personnel are set to arrive in B-C today, joining hundreds from Mexico, Quebec, Alberta, Parks Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces as they help battle some 250 wildfires burning across the province.The B-C government says the group from Australia will include one nine-person incident management team, various specialized leadership roles and technical specialists who will be deployed under the direction of the B-C Wildfire Service.It says out-of-province personnel are working under strict COVID-19 protocols.More than 35-hundred people in total are involved i
canada-reports-267-new-covid-19-cases-one-death
BCJul 27, 2021

Canada reports 267 new COVID-19 cases, one death

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 267 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 149,109 cases in the province:July 23-24: 94 new casesJuly 24-25: 79 new casesJuly 25-26: 94 new casesThere are currently 695 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 146,636 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 43 individuals are in hospital and 17 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the last 72 hours, one new death (Northern Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,768. Since December
BCJul 26, 2021

Mink test positive for SARS-CoV-2

Two mink have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 in humans, on a farm under quarantine after it had mink test positive in May 2021.Five additional mink samples from the same farm have initially tested positive at the B.C. Animal Health Lab, with final results pending from The National Centre for Foreign Animal Disease in Winnipeg.The two positive mink were identified through a co-ordinated wildlife surveillance project led by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, in co-operation with the One Health Working Group. One of t
new-westminster-police-department-searches-for-vandalism-suspects
BCJul 26, 2021

New Westminster Police Department searches for vandalism suspects

On July 25th the New Westminster Police Department received a report of vandalism to the Saint Peter’s Roman Catholic Church located at the corner of 4th Street and Royal Avenue. The front of the church was targeted with orange graffiti."We’re working to find the people responsible for this and hold them accountable," stated Sergeant Kumar. "We’re asking anyone who witnessed this vandalism or knows who may have been responsible for it to contact the New Westminster Police Department."Officers documented the vandalism and canvassed the immediate area for CCTV footage to identify the peopl
wildfire-between-oliver-and-osoyoos-continues-to-move-eastwardas-fire-causes-other-challenges
BCJul 26, 2021

Wildfire between Oliver and Osoyoos continues to move eastwardas fire causes other challenges

The 68-square kilometre, out-of-control Nk-Mip wildfire sparked between Oliver and Osoyoos continues to move eastward in the south Okanagan. The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary issued evacuation orders to more than 120 properties last week and added Mount Baldy ski resort and areas including Conkle Lake Provincial Park to the list yesterday, while the fire causes another challenge. Shaw Communications says the wildfire is preventing its technicians from accessing and repairing equipment, meaning internet, wifi, phone and TV services have been cut for some customers in Grand Forks, Chri
BCJul 26, 2021

Langley RCMP looks for witnesses to hit & run

Langley RCMP is looking for witnesses to a Hit & Run collision that happened last night (July 25th) at approximately 6:45 p.m. in the 9100 block of 200th Street. The two vehicles involved were a white Land Rover and a Harley Davidson motorcycle. It is believed both vehicles were northbound and the Land Rover made a U-turn in front of the motorcycle. The Land Rover did not remain at the scene. The motorcycle operator, a 38-year-old male from Maple Ridge, was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Investigators are asking that motorists in the area review their dash camera fo
surrey-police-board-clarifies-role-of-city-council-in-the-surrey-police-transition
BCJul 26, 2021

Surrey Police Board Clarifies Role of City Council in the Surrey Police Transition

The Surrey Police Board would like to address recent public statements related to pausing or stopping the police transition and the development of the Surrey Police Service. The provincial government approved the Surrey Police Service (SPS) transition pla n in February 2020. Subsequently the Province created the Surrey Police Board, who legally established the Service under the Police Act . As such, the Surrey Police Service now exists under the authority of the provincial government, not local government. The claim by some parties that a Mayor and Council could unilaterally pause or stop the
84th-avenue-expansion-through-bear-creek-park-typical-of-mccallums-my-way-or-the-highway-approach-linda-annis
BCJul 26, 2021

84th avenue expansion through bear creek park typical of Mccallum’s “my-way-or-the-highway” approach: Linda Annis

As city council prepares to vote today on nearly $18 million to extend 84th Avenue through Bear Creek Park, Surrey First Councillor Linda Annis says Surrey voters shouldn’t be surprised by Doug McCallum’s "my-way-or-the-highway" approach. "You only have to go back to his original term in office in the 90s to see how little interest he had in consulting the people of Surrey," said Annis. "His bad habits then are his bad habits now, and we’re paying the price as residents and taxpayers. For Doug McCallum, Surrey taxpayers are simply ATM machines. Just look at your tax bill and you’ll see
259-blazes-currently-burning-in-the-province
BCJul 26, 2021

259 blazes currently burning in the province

The B-C Wildfire Service says there are 259 blazes currently burning in the province.That's a small improvement, down from about 300 earlier in the week.There are now 58 evacuation orders in place, affecting about 44-hundred properties.Another nearly 17-thousand-500 properties are on evacuation alert, meaning residents have been told to be ready to leave on short notice.

Just In

carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern
CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert
poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate