22.78°C Vancouver

News

surrey-memorial-expands-chemotherapy-capacity-with-six-new-treatment-chairs
BCApr 21, 2026

Surrey Memorial expands chemotherapy capacity with six new treatment chairs

Surrey Memorial Hospital has added six new chemotherapy treatment chairs, bringing the total to 39, in an effort to address growing demand for cancer care in the region. According to health officials, the expansion will allow up to 420 additional patients to receive treatment each month. Dr. Sylvie Bourque, executive medical director at BC Cancer’s Surrey centre, said demand for chemotherapy services in Surrey continues to rise. She said the expanded capacity is expected to help the hospital meet a key target: starting first treatment for more than 90 per cent of patients within two weeks of
surrey-police-seek-public-help-to-locate-suspect-wanted-on-assault-charge
BCApr 20, 2026

Surrey police seek public help to locate suspect wanted on assault charge

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a man wanted in connection with an alleged assault earlier this month. According to a Surrey Police Service news release, frontline officers began investigating on April 3 at about 8:35 a.m. after a report that a man had allegedly assaulted a woman with a weapon in the 17600 block of 58A Avenue. Police said the victim sustained minor injuries. The release states that on April 4, the BC Prosecution Service approved a charge against the suspect. Jason Donald Whyte, 54, is now wanted on a province-wide warrant for one count
how-to-build-a-successful-business-exclusive-with-dragons-den-star-manjit-minhas
BCApr 17, 2026

How to build a successful business? Exclusive with Dragon's Den star Manjit Minhas

Canada's renowned business personality Manjit Minhas was in Surrey on Thursday. She attended the Surrey and White Rock Women in Business Awards. Meanwhile, in an exclusive conversation with Connect Media Network, she discussed business, investment, start-ups, Dragon's Den and some unique problems faced by women in business.Manjit Minhas in conversation with Connect Media Network News Director, Pervez Sandhu. (Photo - Connect FM)How to make start-ups successful?In an exclusive conversation with Connect FM, when Manjit Minhas was asked about making a start-up successful, she said that many peopl
BCApr 17, 2026

Vancouver Canucks fire GM Patrik Allvin after last-place NHL finish

The Vancouver Canucks have fired general manager Patrik Allvin following a last-place finish, the team announced Friday. President of hockey operations Jim Rutherford confirmed the move a day after the club closed its season with a 6–1 loss to the Edmonton Oilers. According to the team, Vancouver finished the 2025–26 campaign at the bottom of the NHL standings with a 25–49–8 record, despite preseason expectations of a playoff push. Injuries and ongoing defensive struggles contributed to the slide, as the club fell out of contention early in the year. A key turning point came in Decembe
surrey-traffic-stop-leads-to-seizure-of-fentanyl-cocaine-and-meth-two-arrested
BCApr 16, 2026

Surrey traffic stop leads to seizure of fentanyl, cocaine and meth, two arrested

A proactive traffic stop in Surrey by the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia’s Uniform Gang Enforcement Team resulted in the seizure of more than 3.5 kilograms of suspected illicit drugs, according to a police release. CFSEU-BC said the stop took place on March 24 as part of ongoing enforcement targeting organized crime. Officers located bulk quantities of drugs packaged in vacuum-sealed bags. The substances were processed and identified as approximately 1.293 kilograms of fentanyl, 1.064 kilograms of cocaine and 1.149 kilograms of methamphetamine. Police said the f
BCApr 16, 2026

Vancouver driver clocked at 191 km/h, fails roadside test with children in vehicle, RCMP say

A 37-year-old Vancouver man has been issued a 90-day driving prohibition after police say he was caught travelling 191 km/h in an 80 km/h zone with his children in the vehicle. According to a Maple Ridge RCMP news release, officers with the Road Safety Target Team were conducting speed enforcement on April 12 at حوالي 5:45 p.m. in the 25200 block of Lougheed Highway when a white Tesla was recorded travelling 111 km/h over the posted limit using a laser speed reader. Police said the driver showed signs of impairment after being stopped and was administered a roadside Approved Screening Dev
vancouver-police-seek-witnesses-after-downtown-incident-man-charged
BCApr 15, 2026

Vancouver police seek witnesses after downtown incident, man charged

Vancouver police are asking for additional witnesses following an incident in the city’s downtown business district last month that led to charges against a 47-year-old man. According to a Vancouver Police Department news release, officers responded around 7:20 p.m. on March 25 to Granville Street between Dunsmuir and Pender streets after receiving reports of a man yelling at people in the area. Police said the man was arrested at the scene and remains in custody. Investigators have identified the accused as Derek Jason Sangris, who is charged with one count of sexual assault and unauthorize
spring-snowfall-drops-30-cm-on-coquihalla-highway-warnings-remain-across-b-c
BCApr 15, 2026

Spring snowfall drops 30 cm on Coquihalla Highway, warnings remain across B.C.

A spring storm system brought significant snowfall to parts of British Columbia overnight, with 30 centimetres recorded on the Coquihalla Highway, according to Environment Canada. The agency said the accumulation on the major route connecting Metro Vancouver and the Interior was the highest recorded in the province during the event. Travel conditions were affected across several Interior highways as snow continued to fall. Environment Canada also reported 21 centimetres of snow at Kootenay Pass along Highway 3 between Salmo and Creston. Snowfall warnings remain in effect for parts of southern
man-arrested-after-reported-bank-robbery-in-surreys-newton-neighbourhood
BCApr 14, 2026

Man arrested after reported bank robbery in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood

A man is in custody following a reported bank robbery in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood on Monday afternoon, according to a release from the Surrey Police Service. Police say frontline officers responded shortly after 4 p.m. on April 13 to reports of a robbery at a bank in the 7100 block of King George Boulevard. The suspect was reported to have fled the area on foot. According to police, officers, with assistance from the Real Time Intelligence Centre, located a suspect near 70B Avenue and 134 Street. An adult male was arrested without incident and taken into custody. Police say potential ev

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to