24.08°C Vancouver

News

BCJul 07, 2022

VPD investigates Downtown Eastside machete attack, video released

Vancouver Police are investigating after two people were slashed with a machete outside a Downtown Eastside hotel last month, and are asking anyone with information to call police. Multiple witnesses flagged down police on June 19 around 7 p.m., after a 49-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were approached from behind by the suspect and allegedly slashed while loading their luggage into a taxi near Main and East Hastings streets."We don’t know if there was a motive for this attack," says Constable Tania Visintin. "Investigators believe it was completely random and unprovoked, and they want
wont-be-running-for-the-leadership-of-the-bc-new-democrats-ravi-kahlon
BCJul 06, 2022

Won't be running for the leadership of the BC New Democrats: Ravi Kahlon

Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon says he won't be running for the leadership of the BC New Democrats, but he says he would support David Eby, if the attorney general decided to seek the party's top job. Eby has not announced his leadership intentions, but in a social media message posted this morning, Kahlon says he admires Eby's integrity and passion. Kahlon says he and his family have decided now is not the time for him to seek the leadership, but he believes Eby is the right person to be BC's next premier. No one has yet declared plans to replace Premier John Horgan, who announced last month that
someone-who-bought-a-lottery-ticket-in-vancouver-is-15-million-richer-but-ticket-set-to-expire-soon
BCJul 06, 2022

Someone who bought a lottery ticket in Vancouver is $15 million richer, but ticket set to expire soon

Someone who bought a Lotto Max lottery ticket in Vancouver is 15 million dollars richer, but they will have to act quickly if they hope to collect the windfall. The BC Lottery Corporation says the ticket was purchased in August last year and the prize winners have 52 weeks to come forward, or they will forfeit the cash. The ticket was for the August 13, 2021, Lotto Max draw and carried the winning numbers of 1-14-17-20-28-32 and 38. So far this year, BC players have redeemed more than 64-million dollars from Lotto Max payouts.
three-die-in-head-on-crash-along-trans-canada-highway-through-b-c-s-shuswap-region
BCJul 06, 2022

Three die in head-on crash along Trans-Canada Highway through B.C.'s Shuswap region

RCMP are investigating a head-on crash in British Columbia's Shuswap region that left three people dead. A statement from Chase RCMP says police were called to an area along the Trans-Canada Highway near Sorrento Tuesday afternoon. It says all the occupants of both vehicles died at the scene. Police say witnesses report a black sedan crossed into the path of an oncoming westbound SUV, hitting it head on. The RCMP say the crash killed a 51-year-old Sorrento man, a 67-year old woman and a 60-year-old man, both from Blind Bay. The BC Coroners Service and police continue to investigate.
motorcyclist-killed-in-b-c-after-being-hit-by-a-flying-tire
BCJul 06, 2022

Motorcyclist killed in B.C. after being hit by a flying tire

The BC Highway patrol says a motorcyclist was killed on the weekend after being hit by a flying trailer tire on the Trans-Canada Highway. Police say the 55 year old man from Sooke died at the scene of the incident about 34 kilometres west of Revelstoke on Sunday afternoon. They say the initial investigation determined that a pickup truck from Alberta was pulling a utility trailer that suddenly lost one of its tires -- which bounced into oncoming traffic and narrowly missed one motorcycle before hitting a second. A passenger on the second bike was injured and was taken to Royal Inland Hospital
united-truckers-association-votes-unanimously-in-favour-of-a-strike-at-the-port-of-vancouver
BCJul 05, 2022

United Truckers Association votes unanimously in favour of a strike at the Port of Vancouver

The more than 600 members of the United Truckers Association have voted unanimously in favour of a strike at the Port of Vancouver. The association says the vote was held on Canada Day to back demands for changes to a policy that would stop trucks older than 20-years from working at the port. A statement from the association says the policy will impose crippling costs on drivers, but the port has refused to discuss changes and intends to implement the plan in September. Association officials say no job action will happen in July, to give time for talks, but members will move forward with a sh
b-c-police-officers-recovering-after-bank-shootout-overwhelmed-by-support
BCJul 05, 2022

B.C. police officers recovering after bank shootout overwhelmed by support

An officer who was injured in a deadly shootout outside a bank in Saanich, B.C., last week remains in intensive care after three surgeries. Saanich Chief Const. Dean Duthie told a news conference that the officer, who has eight years of service with the department, has been showing signs of "improvement day by day."Three Saanich officers and three from the Victoria Police Department, all members of the emergency response team, were injured in the gunfight with two heavily armed robbers outside a Bank of Montreal.Duthie says another Saanich officer is stable and remains in hospital, while Victo
visiting-quebec-student-has-died-5-days-after-being-injured-in-a-crash-in-b-c
BCJul 05, 2022

Visiting Quebec student has died, 5 days after being injured in a crash in B.C.

A visiting Quebec student has died, five days after being injured in a crash between a transit bus and a delivery truck near Castlegar. The unnamed teenager had been on life support at Kelowna General Hospital since shortly after the June 30th collision on Highway 3A. She was with a group from Quebec that was on a five-week language program at Selkirk College and the president of the college says the death is a tremendous loss. RCMP are still investigating why the delivery van veered into the oncoming lane last Thursday afternoon, side swiping the bus and hitting the window where the teen was
man-dead-in-what-rcmp-say-is-a-suspected-targeted-shooting-in-surrey-b-c
BCJul 05, 2022

Man dead in what RCMP say is a suspected targeted shooting in Surrey, B.C.

A man is dead after what RCMP say is an apparent targeted attack in Surrey, B.C. A statement from police says it happened late Monday afternoon in a hotel parking lot on King George Boulevard.The victim, whose name police have not released, was found at the scene but could not be revived.No suspects have been identified but a silver four-door Infiniti was spotted leaving the area and police are determining if a burning car found a short time later about five kilometres away could be connected.The shooting was the second targeted attack in Metro Vancouver in less than 12 hours.Burnaby RCMP say

Just In

two-arrested-in-brampton-online-dating-extortion-case
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Two Arrested in Brampton Online Dating Extortion Case

Peel Regional Police in Ontario have arrested a Punjabi man and a woman in connection with an alleged extortion scheme in Brampton involving an online dating platform. Police identified the accused as 35-year-old Harwinder Singh and 23-year-old Ria. Both have been charged with extortion, robbery and forcible confinement related to an e-transfer. Singh is also facing an additional charge of uttering threats. According to Peel police, in July, a victim was contacted through a messaging app by a fake profile using the name “Manisha Sharma.” The two later arranged to meet at a basement apartme
IndiaAug 19, 2026

Farmers Suspend Protest at Punjab-Haryana Border, Meeting with Manohar Lal Set for September 4

Farmer organizations protesting at the Punjab-Haryana border on Wednesday announced the temporary suspension of their agitation. The decision came after Haryana authorities proposed a meeting with Union Minister Manohar Lal on September 4 to discuss the farmers’ demands. The protesting farmers had been sitting at the Khanauri–Data Singh Wala border point. On August 16, Haryana Police stopped a group of 51 farmers from proceeding towards Delhi. The farmers were undertaking a 228-kilometre-long “Kisan Bachao Padyatra” (Save Farmers March) to oppose the proposed India-U.S. trade agreement
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po