17.96°C Vancouver

News

4-2-billion-deficit-forecast-as-b-c-s-budget-announces-funding-for-new-housing-and-health-care-spending
BCMar 01, 2023

$4.2-billion deficit forecast as B.C.’s budget announces funding for new housing and health-care spending

B.C. Finance Minister Katrine Conroy while presenting the budget today said that her budget was addressing affordability issues and now was the time to bring in more relief for renters.The highlights of the 2023 British Columbia budget presented on Tuesday include:$6.4 billion in new health spending, including $2.6 billion for health services such as cancer care, $1.1 billion to attract and retain family doctors, and more than $1 billion for mental health and addictions services. There’s also $875 million in 2023-2024 for COVID-19 measures.$4.2 billion in new housing funding, including $1.7
live-explosive-device-safely-removed-from-busy-kelowna-b-c-shopping-area
BCFeb 28, 2023

Live explosive device safely removed from busy Kelowna, B.C., shopping area

Traffic is back to normal through central Kelowna, B.C., after RCMP detonated an explosive device found near a busy route in the Okanagan city.A stretch of Highway 97N, also known as Harvey Avenue, was closed in both directions for more than seven hours on Monday.Police say a suspicious package was spotted at around noon and the highway, which runs past restaurants, businesses and busy malls, was closed as a precaution.A bomb disposal unit was sent from Vancouver to assist.It arrived shortly before 6 p.m. and detonated the device about an hour later.RCMP say more information is expected later
more-than-1-350-prohibited-weapons-linked-to-chilliwack-b-c-homes-seized
BCFeb 27, 2023

More than 1,350 prohibited weapons linked to Chilliwack, B.C., homes seized

Canada Border Services Agency says it has seized more than 1,350 prohibited weapons and firearms linked to residences in Chilliwack, B.C. A statement from the agency says parcels imported from China using a false declaration were intercepted at Vancouver International Airport last month. In late January, the agency says an unnamed Chilliwack resident was arrested for suspected offences under the Customs Act and a number of prohibited weapons and firearms were found during the arrest. The agency says more prohibited weapons were also found at a Chilliwack home the day after the arrest. It says
b-c-pledges-500-million-to-keep-ferry-fares-low-for-travellers-as-inflation-soars
BCFeb 27, 2023

B.C. pledges $500 million to keep ferry fares low for travellers as inflation soars

British Columbia's premier has announced $500 million in new funding for BC Ferries to keep fares low for passengers. David Eby says a recent submission to the BC Ferries commissioner showed global inflation over the past 18 months means travellers could see a fare increase of more than 10 per cent a year between 2024 and 2028. He says this investment aims to keep annual fare increases below 3 per cent, though the final cost will be determined by the commissioner. The province says the increase in costs like fuel and inflation are driving up overall fees for the service, and the funding will a
BCFeb 24, 2023

B.C. government to invest $440 million to improve detect, prevent & treat cancer

The British Columbia government is investing $440 million to better detect, prevent and treat cancer.Premier David Eby says nearly everyone in the province has been affected by cancer in some way, through their own diagnosis or that of a family member or friend.He says the 10-year plan will save lives and improve the quality of life of B.C. residents now and in the future.The money will support research, technology and innovation, improve access to cancer care for rural and remote residents, add more cancer centres throughout the province and ensure B.C.is able to attract oncologists and other
vancouver-port-authority-suspends-rolling-truck-age-program-for-at-least-nine-months
BCFeb 24, 2023

Vancouver port authority suspends Rolling Truck Age Program for at least nine months

The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is suspending a controversial program to replace older trucks servicing the port for at least another nine months while it reassesses its plans.It is the third time the port is postponing the Rolling Truck Program which was supposed to begin April 3 to phase out trucks more than 12 years old to improve air quality and community health.Truckers that use the port say the onus is on owners and operators to replace the older vehicles at a steep cost even though many of them already meet emissions standards.Last week four Liberal MPs from the Vancouver area asked
nurse-practitioners-in-b-c-can-now-assess-crisis-patients-for-involuntary-admissions
BCFeb 23, 2023

Nurse practitioners in B.C. can now assess crisis patients for involuntary admissions

Nurse practitioners in British Columbia now have expanded authority to assess people in crisis for involuntary admission to a treatment facility under the Mental Health Act.The New Democrat government says it changed the Mental Health Act last spring to help people get care during a mental health crisis, while respecting their legal rights.Jennifer Whiteside, B.C.'s mental health and addictions minister, says giving nurse practitioners authority to approve involuntary admission for a patient will reduce pressures on emergency departments and help people get faster treatment.She says when a per
weather-forecast-icy-winds-weekend-snow-to-hit-b-c
BCFeb 22, 2023

Weather Forecast: Icy winds & weekend snow to hit B.C.

Bitterly cold weather is gripping much of British Columbia and forecasters don't expect conditions in some areas to ease until at least Thursday, while the threat of snow lies ahead for other regions.Extreme cold or Arctic outflow warnings are posted for the central and north coasts, Chilcotin and Peace River areas and the southeastern corner of B.C.With the wind chill, Environment Canada warns conditions will feel close to -40 C in the Elk Valley and Peace regions, and -20 C in Terrace, Kitimat and Stewart.A special weather statement also warns of snow before Thursday over most of central, ea
BCFeb 21, 2023

B.C. adds $180 million to help communities prepare for natural disasters

Local governments and First Nations in British Columbia are getting more support to prepare for the risk of natural disasters related to climate change.The Ministry of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness says it will add $180 million to support projects that help communitiesprepare for and mitigate the effects of natural disasters.The ministry says the government's Community Emergency Preparedness Fund has previously supported projects that include a dike in Merritt, public cooling infrastructure in Victoria and tsunami evacuation planning in Tofino.It says it will also now provide a on

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees