19.59°C Vancouver

News

pollution-from-b-c-teck-mining-operations-might-be-taken-up-during-trudeau-biden-meet-today
BCMar 24, 2023

Pollution from B.C. Teck mining operations might be taken up during Trudeau-Biden meet today

Pollution from Teck's mining operations in southeastern B.C. is expected to be on the table as U.S. President Joe Biden meets with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today in Ottawa.Biden is expected to add his clout to calls from Indigenous leaders, experts and activists on both sides of the border for a bilateral investigation into toxic run-off threatening the Kootenay River basin.A long-standing treaty governing the management of cross-border waterways requires both Canada and the U.S. to agree to send the problem to a commission capable of addressing it but so far Canada has avoided signing of
former-bc-liberal-john-rustad-turned-independent-now-seeks-conservative-leadership
BCMar 24, 2023

Former BC Liberal John Rustad turned Independent now seeks Conservative leadership

A former BC Liberal cabinet minister turfed from the party caucus last year for his climate change views says he's running for the leadership of the Conservative Party of British Columbia.John Rustad, who has been sitting as an Independent in B.C.'s legislature, says he wants to build a grassroots coalition of supporters under the Conservative banner to offer an alternative to the current New Democrat government and Opposition Liberals.A Conservative leadership vote is set for May 28, with former leader Trevor Bolin serving as interim leader until the vote.Liberal Leader Kevin Falcon said he d
former-vancouver-mayor-kennedy-stewart-wins-100-000-costs-in-npa-defamation-case
BCMar 22, 2023

Former Vancouver mayor Kennedy Stewart wins $100,000 costs in NPA defamation case

A B.C. judge says former Vancouver mayor Kennedy Stewart can recover more than $100,000 in legal costs related to a failed defamation case launched by political rivals in the once-dominant Non-Partisan Association.B.C. Supreme Court Justice Wendy Baker says in her March 20 ruling that the defamation case against Stewart by current and former members of the NPA's board of directors was a "strategic lawsuit against public participation."They sued Stewart after he issued a press release in January 2021 denouncing "hate and extremism" in the NPA in response to media reports on the party's internal
over-100-people-organisations-nominated-for-b-c-multiculturalism-anti-racism-awards
BCMar 22, 2023

Over 100 people & organisations nominated for B.C. Multiculturalism & Anti-Racism Awards

More than 100 people and organizations have been nominated for this year's B.C. Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Awards for their efforts to address racism and build a more equitable B.C. for everyone."Indigenous, Black and People of Colour in B.C. and Canada continue to be harmed every day by discrimination and hate," said Niki Sharma, Attorney General. "I’m so proud to recognize the award winners and nominees who are working to dismantle systemic racism and make our communities more fair, just, and equitable for everyone." The B.C. Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Awards were held last nig
hate-crimes-unit-joins-probe-of-international-students-assault-in-kelowna-b-c
BCMar 21, 2023

Hate crimes unit joins probe of international student's assault in Kelowna, B.C.

RCMP in Kelowna, B.C., confirm the BC Hate Crimes Team has joined an investigation into an attack on an international student in the city.A statement from the Kelowna detachment says its general investigations team is leading the file and is seeking video from the area around a bus stop where the assault happened on March 17.Police say a suspect group has been identified, but no arrests have been made. The reason for the attack and the details linked to it are still being determined and the 21-year-old student is being supported by the Mounties' victim services unit.RCMP have released few deta
about-75-of-b-c-families-with-children-to-benefit-from-third-enhanced-bc-family-benefit
BCMar 21, 2023

About 75% of B.C. families with children to benefit from third enhanced BC Family Benefit

Approximately 75% of B.C. families with children will see more money in their bank accounts from the third enhanced BC Family Benefit payment.The monthly benefit was temporarily increased for families in B.C. for the first three months of 2023. From January through March 2023 combined, the extra BC Family Benefit payments have provided as much as an additional $350 for a family with two children."While global inflation is stretching most household budgets, it can be really tough for those already struggling to make ends meet," said Katrine Conroy, Minister of Finance. "Supporting people contin
canada-to-invest-over-25-7-million-to-boost-innovation-and-economic-growth-in-vancouver
BCMar 20, 2023

Canada to invest over $25.7 million to boost innovation and economic growth in Vancouver

The federal government is doling out more cash in B.C. this time to help the growth and innovation of 10 Vancouver-based companies.Harjit Sajjan, the minister responsible for the Pacific Economic Development Agency of Canada, announced eight companies will receive just over $16 million from a federal scale-up and productivity fund.Nearly $10 million from a jobs and growth fund will be split by two other companies and the government says businesses benefiting from the cash include one using bioprinting technology to find treatments for incurable diseases.The statement from Sajjan's office says
b-c-mother-sued-the-makers-of-the-fortnite-video-game
BCMar 20, 2023

B.C. mother sued the makers of the Fortnite video game

A Vancouver parent has launched a proposed class-action lawsuit against the makers of Fortnite, saying the popular video game is designed to be "as addictive as possible" for children.In the lawsuit filed in B.C. Supreme Court on Friday, the plaintiff identified only as A.B. says her son downloaded Fortnite in 2018 and "developed an adverse dependence on the game."The statement of claim says the game incorporates a number of intentional design choices such as offering rewards for completing challenges and making frequent updates, which encourages players to return repeatedly.The statement say
BCMar 20, 2023

CUPE workers begin full-scale strike, halting bus service across B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked. The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and i

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees