17.85°C Vancouver

News

city-of-surrey-moves-to-court-to-block-police-transfer
BCOct 13, 2023

City of Surrey moves to court to block police transfer

The City of Surrey says it is filing a petition in the B.C. Supreme Court challenging the province's order to convert the RCMP into a municipal police force.The move, announced in a statement on Friday, has been a long-running dispute."My team and I were elected to stop the proposed police change," Mayor Brenda Locke said in a statement.It is worth mentioning that on July 19, B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth directed the City of Surrey to replace its existing RCMP force with the Surrey Police Service.Farnworth said everyone has a right to be safe in their community and all British Co
flu-covid-19-immunization-campaign-kicks-off-in-bc
BCOct 10, 2023

Flu, COVID-19 immunization campaign kicks off in BC

British Columbia has launched its immunization campaign for this year's respiratory illness season, with influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations now available in pharmacies across the province.The immunization plan was announced late last month as B.C. Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry reintroduced mask mandates in the province's health-care settings with respiratory illnesses trending upward.In a written statement, drugstore chain Pharmasave says they are anticipating an increase in demand for vaccines administered by pharmacies this year, as patients have increasingly turned to pharmacists
vancouver-youth-killed-by-hamas-during-music-festival-in-israel
BCOct 10, 2023

Vancouver youth killed by Hamas during music festival in Israel

While the number of people dying during the attack on Israel is increasing, there is also an unfortunate news for a family in Vancouver whose 22-year-old son also died in this terrible attack.A member of Parliament from Vancouver has given this information.Vancouver-Granville MP Taleeb Noormohamed expressed his condolences to the family in a post on X.Ben Mizrachi, 22, graduated from King David High School in Vancouver in 2018.The school posted on its Facebook page that he was shot dead while attending a concert.Mizrachi's funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon, according to the high school.
bc-becomes-first-province-to-sign-federal-health-care-agreement
BCOct 10, 2023

BC becomes first province to sign federal health care agreement

Health Minister Mark Holland announced today that British Columbia is the first province to sign the $196-billion Individual Health Agreement introduced by the Prime Minister.In February, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had announced that the federal government is ready to spend $196-billion dollars to revitalize Canada's health system, as a result of which all provinces except Quebec have agreed to this deal.BC will receive $1.2 billion over the next three years from the federal government.Federal Health Minister Mark Holland made the announcement Tuesday morning at Vancouver General Hospital.H
bc-ferries-hires-4-new-vps-creates-3-new-divisions
BCOct 06, 2023

BC Ferries hires 4 new VPs, creates 3 new divisions

BC Ferries CEO and President Nicolas Jimenez said the company has realigned to focus on meeting customer needs and an affordable, safe and reliable future.As part of realignment, three new operating divisions have been created and four new vice presidents have been hired to oversee the same.The new divisions are engineering, marine operations and customer experience."I believe the company is now better positioned to address the short and longer term challenges we face," said Jimenez. The changes will be effective from October 16 to allow for the transition of duties.
victoria-takes-top-spot-on-condé-nast-list-of-worlds-best-cities
BCOct 05, 2023

Victoria takes top spot on Condé Nast list of world’s best cities

An award-winning travel magazine says British Columbia's capital city tops its 2023 list of the world's best cities.Condé Nast Traveller, a luxury and lifestyle travel magazine, says Victoria captured top marks in its annual Readers' Choice Awards of top cities.Victoria and Mexico's San Miguel de Allende, which ranked sixth, were the only cities in North America to make the list.Condé Nast Traveller says Victoria's restaurant and nightlife scene is "something to be celebrated," while the city "embraces adventure," and "draws outdoorsy types."Readers gave Victoria, San Sebastián in Spain, an
people-of-west-kelowna-relieved-state-of-emergency-lifted
BCSep 29, 2023

People of West Kelowna relieved, state of emergency lifted

Central Okanagan Emergency Operations has lifted the state of local emergency in West Kelowna, B.C., more than a month after the McDougall Creek wildfire devastated the area.It says it has also rescinded all remaining evacuation orders stemming from the blaze.West Kelowna was put under the state of emergency on Aug. 16 as the 139 square kilometre McDougall Creek fire destroyed or damaged nearly 190 properties.The wildfire forced the evacuation of more than 10,000 properties and put another 10,000 homes on alert, with about 50,000 residents impacted by various orders and advisories.In a stateme
starting-next-year-asbestos-abatement-employers-must-be-licensed-to-operate-in-bc
BCSep 29, 2023

Starting next year, asbestos abatement employers must be licensed to operate in BC

As of Jan. 1, 2024, employers performing asbestos abatement work must be licensed to operate in B.C. and anyone performing this work must be trained and certified.These new requirements were part of amendments to the Workers Compensation Act made in spring 2022.The legislative amendments also gave WorkSafeBC the authority to develop and administer the licensing and certification regime. In addition to being required to have a licence requirement, asbestos abatement employers will need to ensure their workers are appropriately trained and certified by Jan. 1, 2024.Any individual performing asbe
bc-gurudwara-investigates-into-how-washington-post-viewed-video-of-nijjars-murder
BCSep 28, 2023

BC gurudwara investigates into how Washington Post viewed video of Nijjar's murder

The B.C. gurdwara where a Sikh separatist leader was gunned down has launched an investigation into how an American newspaper was able to view security camera footage of the June killing.Gurkeerat Singh, who said he is a spokesman for the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey, said it's unclear how The Washington Post was able to see the video of Hardeep Singh Nijjar's death."We've been told by the temple that the video is not for the media, the public, because it's an ongoing investigation. That video won't be released to anyone."It's an "ongoing investigation," he said in an interview on Wednes

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees