19.44°C Vancouver

News

b-c-ndp-ministers-bains-ralston-and-fleming-wont-seek-re-election
BCJul 04, 2024

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19. Bains, who represents the Surrey-Newton riding, says in a statement it was the honour of a lifetime to represent his constituents and serve as B.C.'s labour minister. Transport Minister Fleming says it's been a privilege to have served the constituents of Victoria-Swan Lake for "the better part of two decades." Ralston, w
guinness-world-record-for-intelligent-b-c-chicken-lacey
BCJul 04, 2024

Guinness World Record for intelligent B.C. chicken Lacey

A B.C. chicken named Lacey has earned a Guinness World Record for being able to correctly identify the most objects in one minute. Lacey's owner, veterinarian Emily Carrington, says the world record shows that chickens are intelligent, and Lacey now has bragging rights as one of the world's smartest hens. In a video of Lacey setting the record of six identifications, Carrington shows the hen a series of letters, numbers and coloured objects, before Lacey correctly pecks them out from among similar objects. Carrington, who lives with Lacey on Gabriola Island, says Guinness officials sent a lett
b-c-ranch-owning-pilot-dead-two-passengers-injured-in-private-helicopter-crash
BCJul 03, 2024

B.C. ranch-owning pilot dead, two passengers injured in private helicopter crash

Police in southeastern British Columbia say a ranch owner is dead after the helicopter they were piloting crashed on Tuesday evening. Columbia Valley RCMP say they got the call at about 7 p.m. They say search and rescue crews were sent to the crash site south of Invermere, B.C., and found the pilot, who was dead. The Mounties say the privately-owned helicopter was also carrying two passengers who were taken to hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. They have not released the name of the pilot or any further details about the crash. The RCMP say they are assisting the BC Coron
suspects-pants-catch-fire-in-arson-attempt-gone-wrong-b-c-rcmp
BCJul 03, 2024

Suspect's pants catch fire in arson attempt gone wrong: B.C. RCMP

Police in Metro Vancouver say they're looking for a man whose pants caught fire in an alleged arson attempt that went wrong. Richmond RCMP shared a photo showing two men, one on the ground with a pained facial expression as he reaches for his blazing pants, while the other man apparently tries to put out the flames. Police say officers responded to an alarm at a business on April 24, finding a broken window and a small fire directly in front with evidence it had been set intentionally. They say surveillance video subsequently revealed two men wearing masks had approached the business, and one
jewish-teachers-file-antisemitism-complaint-against-b-c-teachers-federation-lawyer
BCJul 03, 2024

Jewish teachers file antisemitism complaint against B.C. Teachers' Federation: lawyer

A Vancouver labour lawyer says a group of British Columbia teachers has launched a human rights complaint against their union, saying the BC Teachers' Federation "has engaged in and enabled antisemitism." Paul Pulver, who says he represents BC Teachers Against Antisemitism, filed the complaint with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal over what he calls the "erasure of Jewish and Zionist voices and opinions" within the union and members' workplaces. Pulver says in a statement the union's leadership caused "trauma and fear" among members who have been "intimidated and shamed" by colleagues. He says t
sixteen-year-old-girl-dies-after-fentanyl-overdose-in-prince-george-b-c-rcmp
BCJul 03, 2024

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George, B.C.: RCMP

Police in Prince George, B.C., say a 16-year old girl who was taken to hospital last week after a drug overdose has died. Prince George RCMP's Serious Crime Unit is investigating and says the girl appears to have been targeted by a fentanyl trafficker. RCMP media relations officer Cpl. Jennifer Cooper says the girl died over the weekend and the investigation into her overdose and death is a top priority for the unit. Police had been called to a home on McMaster Crescent in the B.C. Interior community last Wednesday where they found the girl unconscious. They say she was taken to hospital and f
rapper-rick-ross-involved-in-canada-day-concert-altercation-in-vancouver
BCJul 02, 2024

Rapper Rick Ross involved in Canada Day concert altercation in Vancouver

American Rapper Rick Ross has been involved in a violent altercation in Vancouver, where he performed a concert on Sunday. A video posted on social media early Monday shows the rapper at the Plaza of Nations across the street from BC Place Stadium, when he is punched in the face by a man. A melee involving multiple individuals then breaks out, with another video appearing to show an unconscious man being dragged away. It is unclear if Ross was injured the brawl. Neither Vancouver police nor Ross's agents immediately responded to requests for comment. Ross was the headliner at the Ignite Music
20-homes-affected-in-flash-flooding-west-of-kamloops-b-c-emergency-officials
BCJul 02, 2024

20 homes affected in flash flooding west of Kamloops, B.C.: emergency officials

Officials say a flash flood west of Kamloops, B.C., has impacted at least 20 homes in the community of Savona, but no injuries have been reported. Thompson-Nicola Regional District activated its emergency operations centre Monday the day after heavy rain that saw Highway 1 closed for several hours through the community. Amanda Ellison, a spokeswoman for the regional district, says some homeowners have called in to report that their homes have been damaged, and in other cases "eyes on the ground" have seen homes that may have been affected. The highway has since reopened but drivers are being w
ontario-man-charged-with-slaying-b-c-woman-tori-dunn-was-already-facing-assault-case
BCJun 28, 2024

Ontario man charged with slaying B.C. woman Tori Dunn was already facing assault case

A 40-year-old Ontario man with a long criminal history has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the slaying of Tori Dunn in Surrey, B.C., earlier this month. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Adam Mann is facing the murder charge after Surrey police found him while they were on their way to Dunn's home on June 16. At the time of Dunn's killing, Mann was facing an unrelated aggravated assault charge for an alleged attack in Surrey three weeks earlier and is due in court over that case on July 2. Police say they found Dunn with life-threatening injuries after b

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees