24.3°C Vancouver

News

b-c-man-gets-prison-sentence-fine-for-using-fake-names-to-buy-guns-in-the-u-s
BCOct 09, 2024

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

A U.S. federal court has sentenced a 27-year-old Kelowna man to 18 months in prison for using false identities to purchase firearms in Montana with the intent to smuggle them into Canada. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Montana says Haptei John Kozak pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of making false statements during firearm transactions. District Court Judge Donald Molloy also imposed a $10,000 fine, three years of supervised release, and ordered Kozak to forfeit 12 firearms seized during the investigation. Prosecutors said Kozak used a fake Montana driver’s licence and falsif
officers-in-b-c-make-dozens-of-seizures-of-methamphetamine-bound-for-australia
BCOct 08, 2024

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Canadian border officers in British Columbia have intercepted large quantities of methamphetamine intended for export to Australia, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed this week. Between March and August, officers made 60 separate seizures totalling nearly 400 kilograms of crystal meth and about 1,300 litres of liquid methamphetamine. The CBSA says the largest single seizure occurred in June at the Fraser Surrey Dock, southeast of Vancouver, when officers discovered the liquid form of the drug during a one-day inspection operation. Other seizures of crystal meth took place at se
party-leaders-prep-for-only-televised-debate-of-b-c-s-election-campaign
BCOct 08, 2024

Party leaders prep for only televised debate of B.C.'s election campaign

Leaders of British Columbia’s three main political parties will meet tonight for the province’s only televised debate before voters head to the polls on October 19. The 90-minute debate, airing from 6:30 to 8 p.m., will provide a final opportunity for candidates to make their case directly to the public as advance voting begins Friday. Early voting will take place from October 10 to 13 and again from October 15 to 16 across the province. The leaders previously clashed in a radio debate last week, exchanging sharp words over affordability, health care, and the opioid crisis — three of the
nuremberg-and-nazi-comparisons-to-covid-19-measures-unacceptable-rustad
BCOct 07, 2024

Rustad walks back “Nuremberg 2.0” comment as B.C. leaders enter final stretch of election campaign

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad is facing criticism after a video surfaced of him referencing “Nuremberg 2.0,” a conspiracy theory suggesting public health officials should face trial for pandemic-era restrictions. Rustad now says his remarks were “misunderstood” and that comparing COVID-19 measures to Nazi Germany or the Holocaust is “deeply disrespectful to the memory of those who suffered.” The clarification came after a recording from July 2024 resurfaced, showing Rustad telling members of the B.C. Public Service Employees for Freedom group that his party would “certainl
man-dead-after-a-pickup-truck-crashed-into-a-bus-stop-in-surrey-b-c
BCOct 07, 2024

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey, B.C.

Surrey RCMP say a 33-year-old man has died after a pickup truck collided with a bus stop bench, injuring another pedestrian and causing significant property damage on Saturday afternoon. Police say the crash happened when a Ford F-350 truck crossed into oncoming traffic and slammed into a bus stop bench, where two people were waiting. The impact killed one man instantly and left another man, also in his 30s, with minor injuries. The driver of the truck was arrested at the scene, and investigators say speed and drug use have not been ruled out as possible factors. RCMP confirmed that the Major
one-dead-four-injured-after-serious-single-vehicle-rollover-near-merritt-b-c
BCOct 07, 2024

One dead, four injured in highway rollover near Merritt; RCMP say speed likely a factor

One person has died and four others were seriously injured after a single-vehicle rollover on Highway 5 north of Juliet Road near Merritt, British Columbia. RCMP say they were called to the crash site around 3:50 p.m. Saturday, after reports that a four-door sedan carrying five people veered off the road at high speed before overturning and coming to a stop. Emergency crews pronounced one person dead at the scene, despite efforts to save their life. The remaining four passengers were taken to hospital with varying injuries. The crash led to a temporary closure of Highway 5, halting traffic for
man-41-arrested-after-allegedly-stealing-police-car-vpd
BCOct 07, 2024

Man, 41, arrested after allegedly stealing police car: VPD

Vancouver police say a man with a lengthy criminal record - including more than 50 prior convictions - is back in custody after allegedly stealing a police car and driving it dangerously through a park filled with families on Sunday morning. The incident occurred around 10:45 a.m. in East Vancouver, when officers stopped to assist a woman in distress. While police were helping the woman, the 41-year-old suspect allegedly jumped into the unattended patrol vehicle and sped off, driving toward a group of families gathered at Templeton Park. Police say the man, described as a “prolific offender,
eby-supports-police-on-guns-and-gangs-flanked-by-four-law-enforcement-candidates
BCOct 07, 2024

Eby supports police on guns and gangs, flanked by four law enforcement candidates

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby says a re-elected New Democrat government will strengthen police resources to fight illegal guns and gang-linked violence, pledging continued support for federal gun control laws and provincial anti-gang programs. Speaking at a news conference in Surrey, flanked by four NDP candidates with law enforcement backgrounds, Eby said his government would ensure police have the tools, training, and technology needed to keep weapons out of the hands of criminal organizations and prevent domestic violence tragedies. Eby highlighted Surrey as a community that has “felt the rea
b-c-ndp-to-unveil-election-platform-conservatives-promise-to-end-insurance-monopoly
BCOct 03, 2024

Eby to unveil full NDP platform in Surrey as B.C. Conservatives target ICBC monopoly

With less than two weeks until election day, B.C. NDP Leader David Eby is expected to unveil his party’s full election platform today at a news conference in Surrey, marking a key moment in a campaign that has focused heavily on affordability, housing, and public services. Surrey - one of the province’s fastest-growing and most diverse cities - has become a central battleground in this fall’s election. Eby’s choice to launch the NDP’s complete platform here underscores the region’s political importance, where housing affordability, infrastructure expansion, and transit remain top v

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees