21.91°C Vancouver

News

sleeping-driver-leads-to-drugs-guns-being-seized-mounties-say
BCJan 22, 2025

Sleeping driver leads to drugs, guns being seized: Mounties say

Police in Kamloops, B.C., say they seized guns and a "significant" amounts of drugs after finding a man sleeping inside a running vehicle at a restaurant parking lot. A statement from the RCMP says officers saw "numerous weapons" in plain view as they approached the truck Monday to check on the driver. Police say they found a loaded handgun, ammunition, and body armour, along with a modified rifle and loaded magazines. Supt. Jeff Pelley says police also seized more than 1.5 kilograms of suspected fentanyl and 85 grams of cocaine. The statement says the man in his late 30s was arrested and rele
targeted-shooting-first-homicide-of-the-year-in-delta-b-c-police
BCJan 22, 2025

'Targeted' shooting first homicide of the year in Delta, B.C.: police

A man has died after being shot in what Delta, B.C., police call a targeted attack. A statement from the Delta Police Department says officers are now treating the shooting of 29-year-old Delta resident Gurvinder Uppal as a homicide. Officers say they were called Monday to a shooting at a home in Delta where Uppal was injured and he later died in hospital. Police say a white Ford pickup truck left the scene after the shooting and was located a short time later on fire. They say the shooting is the first homicide in Delta in 2025 and that the community recorded no homicides last year. Delta pol
b-c-government-warns-of-tariff-retaliation-against-u-s-products-from-republican-controlled-states
BCJan 21, 2025

B.C. Government Warns of Tariff Retaliation Against U.S. Products from Republican-Controlled States

B.C.'s David Eby government has announced that if Trump implements tariffs starting Feb. 1, the province will target products from Republican-controlled U.S. states. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said British Columbia will respond in kind if Trump moves forward with tariffs. She did not name any specific U.S. products but pointed to a press conference held by Eby last week, in which he indicated that U.S. alcohol sold in B.C. liquor stores, Florida orange juice sold in B.C. grocery stores, and Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the province would be targeted. Bailey said she wants to reiter
winnipegs-abjeet-kingra-denied-bail-in-ap-dhillon-home-shooting-case
BCJan 17, 2025

Winnipeg’s Abjeet Kingra Denied Bail in AP Dhillon Home Shooting Case

Abjeet Kingra, a Winnipeg resident facing charges related to the shooting at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon’s home in Colwood, B.C., was denied bail by a Victoria court on Wednesday. He will remain in custody until the case is resolved. An arrest warrant has also been issued for Vikram Sharma, another suspect in the case. Police reported that Sharma, who was residing in Winnipeg, is believed to have fled to India. The incident occurred on September 2 last year, when AP Dhillon’s Colwood home on Vancouver Island was shot at, and two vehicles parked in the driveway were set on fire. Kingra was a
eby-calls-trump-tariffs-economic-war-that-would-cost-b-c-69-billion
BCJan 16, 2025

Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion

British Columbia Premier David Eby says U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has made a "declaration of economic war" on Canada and B.C. with his proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Eby and Finance Minister Brenda Bailey released costings that suggest the tariffs and a similar response from Canada would cumulatively cost B.C. $69 billion by 2028. The costings also estimate 124,000 fewer jobs in the province by 2028 and that the unemployment rate would rise to 7.1 per cent next year.
bc-premier-backs-federal-plan-against-trumps-proposed-tariffs
BCJan 16, 2025

BC Premier Backs Federal Plan Against Trump’s Proposed Tariffs

BC Premier David Eby has voiced support for the federal government’s plan to counter Trump’s proposed tariffs. The plan includes possible export taxes or targeted restrictions on Canadian supplies of key goods to the United States. Eby emphasized that the premiers are united in their commitment to eliminating interprovincial trade barriers and exploring trade partnerships beyond the U.S. However, while most premiers oppose Trump’s tariffs and support measures like banning exports of certain goods to the U.S., Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has declined to back the federal plan. Smith st
former-b-c-premier-christy-clark-will-not-run-for-liberal-leadership
BCJan 14, 2025

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark will not run for Liberal leadership

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark will not run in the Liberal leadership race to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, she said Tuesday. Sources tell Clark was “emotional” telling her core team about her decision on a conference call. “I have made the difficult decision to step back,” Clark wrote in an email sent to her supporters. Clark had expressed interest in running for the leadership, but has faced criticism for walking back claims about whether or not she joined the Conservative party three years ago to vote in its leadership race.
b-c-fire-crews-sent-to-fight-los-angeles-wildfire-forests-minister
BCJan 13, 2025

B.C. fire crews sent to fight Los Angeles wildfire: forests minister

British Columbia’s forests minister says a crew from the province’s wildfire service left for California Saturday afternoon to help battle the wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles area. Ravi Parmar says in a video posted to social media Saturday afternoon that The B.C. Wildfire Service's crews had left the province and are expected to touch down in Los Angeles around 4 p.m. Pacific. The fire crew was first promised by Premier David Eby, who committed the crew on Friday after a request from California’s Forestry and Fire Protection Department. Eby says his province will also send ground cre
christy-clark-considers-liberal-leadership-run-receives-support-from-political-allies
BCJan 10, 2025

Christy Clark Considers Liberal Leadership Run, Receives Support from Political Allies

Former BC Premier Christy Clark could run for the Liberal Party leadership to replace Trudeau. Clark left provincial politics in 2017 and joined law firm Bennett Jones as a senior advisor. Reports suggest she is also receiving offers to help raise funds for a potential campaign. Sources say she has been preparing for the leadership race for months. Mike de Jong, who worked with her as finance minister for a long time, says Clark's political acumen cannot be underestimated. BC Conservative leader John Rustad also supported de Jong's comments. Rustad, who served as a cabinet minister in the Cla

Just In

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic