20.23°C Vancouver

News

daylight-saving-time-returns-clocks-to-move-forward-on-march-9
BCMar 07, 2025

Daylight Saving Time Returns: Clocks to Move Forward on March 9

Parts of Canada, including British Columbia (BC), will move their clocks forward by one hour on Sunday, March 9. Daylight saving time (DST) will officially take effect at 2 a.m. on that day. The change is expected to influence sleep patterns and daily routines. DST has a long history. In 1784, Benjamin Franklin proposed the concept while serving as the U.S. ambassador to France. However, it wasn’t formally adopted in Canada until 1918, during World War I, as a measure to increase productivity. Following the end of World War I, the Canadian government discontinued DST, only to reinstate it d
b-c-health-officials-confirm-another-travel-related-measles-case-in-lower-mainland
BCMar 07, 2025

B.C. health officials confirm another travel-related measles case in Lower Mainland

British Columbia health officials say another travel-related measles infection has been confirmed in the Lower Mainland, in a resident who visited Southeast Asia. Fraser Health says in a statement that the case is unrelated to an infection last month involving a resident of the Vancouver Coastal Health region who was also infected after a trip to Southeast Asia. It says the new case involves a Fraser Health resident, and health officials are directly following up with people known to have been exposed to the virus. The statement says members of the public might have been exposed to measles if
b-c-signs-670-million-pharmacare-agreement-with-federal-government
BCMar 06, 2025

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

The British Columbia and federal governments have signed a four-year, $670-million pharmacare agreement, giving universal access to contraceptive and diabetes medications. The plan will support nearly 550,000 B.C. residents with diabetes and provide 1.3 million people with a range of contraceptives. B.C. Health Minister Josie Osborne and federal Health Minister Mark Holland announced the agreement will also mean free public coverage of hormone replacement therapy to treat menopause symptoms.
eby-says-b-c-making-contingency-plans-to-reduce-reliance-on-u-s-electricity
BCMar 06, 2025

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

British Columbia Premier David Eby says the government is making contingency plans to reduce the province's reliance on electricity from the United States after the start of the continental trade war. He says similar planning happens in the event of natural disasters and now it's due to a "man-made disaster" created by U.S. President Donald Trump, who imposed sweeping tariffs on Canadian imports on Tuesday. Eby says uncertainty and potential instability coming from south of the border mean the province needs backup plans so B.C. will never again be "so dependent on the United States." The prem
more-families-in-b-c-to-benefit-from-rental-assistance-program
BCMar 05, 2025

More Families in B.C. to Benefit from Rental Assistance Program

More families in the province will benefit from B.C.’s Rental Assistance Program following an increase in the annual income limit for low-income working families. In Budget 2025, the David Eby government raised the income limit from $40,000 to $60,000. The provincial government anticipates that this change will increase the number of families receiving the rental supplement from 3,200 to around 6,000. Additionally, the amount of the rental supplement will rise by approximately 75%, from $400 per month to $700 per month. Furthermore, the income limit and average supplement amount for the She
b-c-budget-to-buffer-province-against-trumps-uncertainty-and-disorder-minister
BCMar 04, 2025

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

British Columbia's finance minister is preparing to deliver a budget today that she says will brace the province against four years of "uncertainty and disorder" amid the U.S. presidency of Donald Trump. Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances. The NDP government has cancelled its election pro
bc-finance-minister-brenda-bailey-to-unveil-provincial-budget-tomorrow
BCMar 03, 2025

BC Finance Minister Brenda Bailey to Unveil Provincial Budget Tomorrow

BC Finance Minister Brenda Bailey is set to present the provincial budget tomorrow, a significant event coinciding with the anticipated implementation of Trump’s 25 percent tariff on Canadian goods. The budget will also serve as a major test for Premier David Eby, who made ambitious campaign promises during the election. Eby pledged that his BC NDP government would build new hospitals, expand rapid transit, and invest in schools if re-elected. However, the looming tariffs and the pressure to address the province’s $9.4 billion deficit suggest that these promises may not feature prominentl
another-earthquake-shakes-awake-some-british-columbians
BCMar 03, 2025

Another earthquake shakes awake some British Columbians

An earthquake has shaken awake some B.C. residents, the latest in a series of tremors for the province. Earthquakes Canada says the 4.1 magnitude earthquake was detected at 5:02 a.m. PST roughly 44 kilometres northeast of Victoria, B.C., and 75 kilometres southeast of Vancouver but it isn't believed to have caused any damage. The agency says the quake would have been lightly felt around Victoria and Vancouver, and by 6 a.m. more than 1,500 people had reported feeling the quake to the agency. Many people also took to social media to report being shaken awake by the tremor. The U.S. National Tsu
b-c-government-to-present-2025-26-provincial-budget-amid-economic-challenges
BCFeb 28, 2025

B.C. Government to Present 2025-26 Provincial Budget Amid Economic Challenges

The B.C. government, led by Premier David Eby, will present the provincial budget for the 2025-26 fiscal year on March 4. This budget will mark the first presented by the new Finance Minister, Brenda Bailey. Minister Bailey faces the challenge of balancing the budget as tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump continue to threaten the province’s businesses and jobs. The provincial government has already projected a $9 billion deficit for the current fiscal year, the largest budget deficit in Canadian history relative to the size of a provincial economy. In December, Finance Minister B

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to