17.63°C Vancouver

News

man-accused-of-three-sexual-assaults-on-transit-faces-charges-police
BCApr 15, 2025

Man accused of three sexual assaults on transit faces charges: police

The British Columbia Prosecution Service has approved charges relating to three alleged sexual assaults on Metro Vancouver's transit system. A statement from the region's Transit Police says the first complaint was made in January last year, when a woman on a crowded Canada Line train called police to say that a man had made inappropriate physical contact with her. Then, in April last year, a man was seen standing suspiciously close to a teenage passenger on the Canada Line, and when he leaned into the girl, a witness called police. On a crowded Expo Line train last May, a woman felt someone p
loaded-dump-truck-impounded-in-b-c-after-driver-found-intoxicated-police-say
BCApr 15, 2025

Loaded dump truck impounded in B.C. after driver found intoxicated, police say

The British Columbia Highway Patrol says a loaded dump truck is sitting in an impound, while the driver faces allegations of impairment. Officers received a call about the truck being driven dangerously eastbound on Highway 1 through Chilliwack last Wednesday morning. They say two patrol vehicles stopped the truck and officers saw signs the driver was impaired. They say the 64-year-old man faces a 90-day driving suspension and had to be picked up by his wife. His truck will be impounded for 30 days. Police say the Abbotsford-based company that owns the truck will be responsible for towing and
b-c-urges-federal-government-to-increase-provincial-nominee-program-quotas
BCApr 14, 2025

B.C. Urges Federal Government to Increase Provincial Nominee Program Quotas

The British Columbia government is calling on the federal government to raise its 2025 allocation under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), citing urgent workforce needs. The province reports that it met its 2024 target of 8,000 workers and is now requesting an increase to 11,000 nominees for 2025. However, Ottawa has reduced B.C.’s allocation to just 4,000, a move the province says is undermining its ability to meet labour market demands. The B.C. government argues that a higher quota would enable the province to process the majority of pending applications and accept approximately 1,100
six-year-old-dead-two-others-injured-in-surrey-bc-hit-and-run
BCApr 14, 2025

Six-year-old dead, two others injured in Surrey, BC hit and run

Police in Surrey are investigating a hit-and-run collision that killed one child and sent two other children to hospital. Police say the incident happened at about 4:11 p-m on Sunday in the Fraser Heights neighbourhood where three children had been hit by a vehicle. A six-year-old girl died, and a seven-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy were both taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Police say the driver of the vehicle was arrested and remains in custody as the investigation continues. Police say the cause of the collision remains unknown, but they believe alcohol may b
bc-conservatives-criticize-eby-government-over-budget-deficit-and-demand-accountability
BCApr 09, 2025

BC Conservatives Criticize Eby Government Over Budget Deficit and Demand Accountability

British Columbia's main opposition party, the BC Conservatives, has sharply criticized the Eby government over its growing budget deficit and is demanding clearer accounting. The party raised concerns about the size of the deficit and the potential cuts to programs following a loss of nearly $3 billion in carbon tax revenue. John Rustad, leader of the BC Conservatives, called on the government to provide clarity regarding which programs will be affected by the deficit. Rustad pointed out that under Premier David Rustad, the province had a $6 billion surplus, which has now turned into an $11 b
program-that-sent-british-columbians-to-the-u-s-for-cancer-treatment-ends
BCApr 08, 2025

Program that sent British Columbians to the U.S. for cancer treatment ends

British Columbia is ending a program that sent cancer patients to the United States for treatment, saying provincial wait times have improved enough that they no longer have to rely on clinics south of the border. A statement from the Ministry of Health says as of the end of February, about 93 per cent of patients are waiting less than four weeks to start their radiation treatment, an improvement from spring 2023, when that number was only 69 per cent. It says the national benchmark is 90 per cent. The province began funding as many as 50 radiation patients each week in May 2023 for treatment
with-8-7m-birds-dead-b-c-farmers-assess-avian-flu-toll-and-worry-about-whats-next
BCApr 07, 2025

With 8.7m birds dead, B.C. farmers assess avian flu toll, and worry about what's next

There is a window of relief for British Columbia farmers from the devastating waves of avian flu, leaving them to assess the toll of outbreaks spanning more than three years that saw millions of birds culled at hundreds of farms. Farmers and scientists also worry what the next migration of wild birds will bring this year. Some farmers moved their operations outside British Columbia's Fraser Valley or have exited the industry altogether since the highly pathogenic H5N1 avian flu began circulating, said farmer Ray Nickel. Nickel, who operates a farm in Abbotsford in the Fraser Valley, was forced
british-columbia-employment-minister-defends-job-growth-amid-national-decline
BCApr 04, 2025

British Columbia Employment Minister Defends Job Growth Amid National Decline

British Columbia Employment Minister Diana Gibson has defended her government's stance on the employment figures released by Statistics Canada. While acknowledging that the national job trend declined in March, she pointed out that B.C. added 5,700 jobs during the same period. Gibson highlighted that B.C. has seen an increase of 35,400 full-time jobs so far this year, the highest among all provinces. However, she stressed the importance of continuing to support the private sector, which is facing challenges due to the impact of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs. Gibson also noted that B.C
premier-david-eby-meets-forestry-leaders-to-address-potential-u-s-tariffs-on-b-c-lumber
BCApr 04, 2025

Premier David Eby Meets Forestry Leaders to Address Potential U.S. Tariffs on B.C. Lumber

Premier David Eby is meeting with forestry leaders in Prince George today to discuss strategies to protect British Columbia's largest export industry from potential tariffs. Eby has raised concerns that President Donald Trump may impose additional tariffs on top of the existing 14.5 percent duty on B.C. softwood lumber. B.C.'s forestry sector is a critical component of the province's economy, contributing $17.4 billion to the GDP and providing thousands of jobs. The U.S. has long accused B.C. of subsidizing its lumber industry. According to the Business Council of B.C., if Trump imposes an ad

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to