24.87°C Vancouver

News

22-year-old-woman-dies-in-slackline-fall-north-of-vancouver
BCMay 20, 2025

22-year-old woman dies in slackline fall north of Vancouver

A 22-year-old woman is dead after a fatal slack line incident at a recreation area north of Vancouver. Squamish RCMP say they received a report on Saturday afternoon of a female falling from a slack line at Chek Canyon Recreation Area. The area is a popular climbing spot 87 kilometres north of Vancouver. Mounties say first responders confirmed the woman was dead at the scene. Search and Rescue was called in to help with the recovery effort due to difficulty accessing the area, which was at the bottom of a canyon. RCMP says the B.C. Coroners Service is investigating.
search-underway-for-b-c-woman-missing-after-empty-boat-washes-ashore
BCMay 16, 2025

Search underway for B.C. woman missing after empty boat washes ashore

Police in Nanaimo, B.C., say a search is underway both at sea and on land after a woman's sailboat was discovered washed ashore and empty. Mounties say 34 year old Amber Nitchman is the registered owner of the 10-metre white sailboat that was found Thursday near Bayshore Drive and Hammond Bay Road off Nanaimo.No one was on the boat, and Nanaimo Search and Rescue, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Center, the coast guard and Nanaimo RCMP have taken part in a ground and water search for the woman.Police are asking that anyone with information on the case contact investigators immediately.The RCMP h
vaisakhi-nagar-kirtan-to-be-held-tomorrow-in-prince-george
BCMay 16, 2025

Vaisakhi Nagar Kirtan to be held tomorrow in Prince George

The vaisakhi Nagar Kirtan is being held tomorrow in Prince George, the city's RCMP said in a statement that they are also very excited to participate in this year's annual Sikh vaisakhi parade. Constable Praban Basra said that our relationship with the Sikh community is strong and very important. He said that many of our police officers belong to this community. He said that 7 officers from the Prince George RCMP will participate in this Nagar Kirtan dedicated to vaisakhi. At the same time, the organizers have expressed the hope that hundreds of people from northern BC will join the Nagar
porter-airlines-launches-new-direct-flight-between-ottawa-and-victoria
BCMay 16, 2025

Porter Airlines launches new direct flight between Ottawa and Victoria

B.C.’s capital city of Victoria is now offering direct flights to Ottawa. Porter Airlines has launched a new non-stop flight between Victoria International Airport and Ottawa International Airport. The airline said the flight will depart Victoria at 11:50 a.m. The flight will initially operate four times a week, but the airline plans to operate the flight daily during the peak summer season, which begins June 16. Porter is using a 132-seater aircraft for these flights. Porter’s flight from Ottawa yesterday carried 130 passengers, according to Elizabeth Brown, president and CEO of the Vic
report-says-lapu-lapu-festival-planning-followed-rules
BCMay 16, 2025

Report says Lapu Lapu festival planning followed rules

A preliminary report by the City of Vancouver and police into last month's Lapu Lapu Day festival attack says authorities are considering safety enhancements for outdoor events in light of the attack. But the report says planning for the festival appears to have followed prescribed processes, and Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says all the right steps were taken. Heavy barriers were not in place at the festival where 11 people were killed when an SUV sped through a crowded street on April 26 and police have previously said only nine out of 3,200 events in the city involved such protection. The report
b-c-urges-wildfire-safety-this-long-weekend
BCMay 16, 2025

B.C. urges wildfire safety this long weekend

The B-C Wildfire Service wants people to take precautions with any fire use over the long weekend, saying most wildfires are preventable.   It also suggests people planning to travel to check for wildfire activity, road closures and evacuation orders and alerts, while also paying attention to weather conditions.The service's dashboard shows there are about 30 fires currently burning in B-C. The service says the province continues to have below-average rainfall at this time of year, and is warning about prolonged drought, noting the northeast remains the driest region.
surrey-resident-justin-simporios-wins-80-million-jackpot
BCMay 15, 2025

Surrey resident Justin Simporios wins $80 million jackpot

The winning ticket for the Lotto Max jackpot sold in Surrey, and which Surrey resident has won the $80 million prize, has been revealed. The BCLC announced the winner during a media event today. Surrey resident Justin Simporios won the $80 million prize. This is the largest lottery win in BC to date. It is also the largest amount won by a single person in Canadian lottery history. Simporios said that when he found out that the winning ticket was purchased in Surrey, he jokingly told his wife that he had become a millionaire and she told him not to joke. But when he checked the ticket numbers,
early-morning-stabbing-sends-two-to-hospital
BCMay 15, 2025

Early morning stabbing sends two to hospital

On May 15, 2025 at approximately 3:40 am, Langley RCMP responded to a report of a disturbance in the 19800 block of 56 Avenue. Officers arrived in the area and located two individuals who had been stabbed. Officers immediately rendered first aid and both victims were transported to local area hospitals for further assessment. A 33-year-old Langley man has been arrested and remains in Police custody in connection to this incident. The investigation is in its early stages and officers are continuing to gather details from the scene, said Sergeant Zynal Sharoom of the Langley RCMP. Anyone with in
coordinated-response-leads-to-high-risk-arrest-in-langley
BCMay 15, 2025

Coordinated response leads to high-risk arrest in Langley

A coordinated effort between Langley RCMP, Surrey Provincial Operational Support Unit (SPOSU), and the Lower Mainland District Integrated Emergency Response Team (LMD-IERT) led to the successful arrest of a suspect following a dangerous series of events involving a suspected stolen semi-truck. On May 14, 2025 at approximately 7:35pm, officers from the Langley Special Response Team observed a semi-truck in the area of 24 Ave and 206 Street bearing mis-matched license plates. Shortly after midnight on May 15, 2025, officers attempted a vehicle stop with the support of Integrated Police Dog Servi

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees