23.62°C Vancouver

News

rcmp-say-skydiving-instructor-dies-following-jump-west-of-edmonton
AlbertaMay 12, 2025

RCMP say skydiving instructor dies following jump west of Edmonton

RCMP say a skydiver has died in a weekend accident west of Edmonton. Cpl. Troy Savinkoff said police were called to a township road near Onoway on Saturday morning, where he said a 56-year-old man from Edmonton suffered fatal injuries following a jump from a plane. He said the man was a skydiving instructor. Skydiving West Edmonton said in a statement that an ``experienced skydiver'' succumbed to his injuries as a result of `a high-speed malfunction'' on Saturday morning. ``The skydiver had over 3,000 skydives and was a beloved member of the Skydive West Edmonton family. His l
some-rural-residents-north-of-edmonton-can-return-home-after-wildfire-threat
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Some rural residents north of Edmonton can return home after wildfire threat

Residents from a rural area north of Edmonton who fled an active wildfire this week can now return to their homes. A social media post from Athabasca County says evacuation orders were lifted for the Village of Boyle and some nearby parts of the county. People living on Highway 831 south of Boyle are still under evacuation orders and are not to return at this time as the wildfire is still burning, but is being held. Some residents of Thorhild County, about 90 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, can also return home, but are to stay prepared to leave within a moment's notice if condi
missing-youths-found-in-leduc-man-charged-with-sexual-assault-and-child-luring
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Missing youths found in Leduc, man charged with sexual assault and child luring

Sex charges have been laid after two youths were reported missing from a town east of Edmonton and later found in the company of a man. Police say the two youths were reported missing from the Two Hills area on Tuesday and located in Leduc, south of Edmonton. A 40-year-old man from Two Hills was arrested and faces charges that include two counts each of sexual interference, sexual assault and possession of child pornography, and three counts of child luring.
alberta-surpasses-300-measles-cases-as-doctors-warn-of-exponential-increases
AlbertaMay 09, 2025

Alberta surpasses 300 measles cases as doctors warn of exponential increases

More than 300 people in Alberta have fallen ill from measles since March and a group of doctors are warning the virus could grow exponentially in the coming weeks. The Alberta government is reporting 16 new measles cases to bring the province's total count to 313. The rising number has prompted the association representing Alberta doctors to warn of an outbreak that could quickly reach the thousands. Dr. James Talbot, Alberta's former chief medical officer of health, says cases are likely much higher than reported and that for every 1,000 cases, one to three people will likely die.
albertas-recently-resigned-legislature-speaker-to-vote-heckle-in-last-days-as-mla
AlbertaMay 08, 2025

Alberta's recently resigned legislature Speaker to vote, heckle in last days as MLA

Alberta's now former Speaker of the legislature says he's excited to display some partisanship in his last days as an elected official. Nathan Cooper announced this week that he is to resign his seat in the assembly to become Alberta's representative to the United States. The United Conservative Party MLA had been Alberta's legislature Speaker and non-partisan debate referee since 2019. He says he thinks made a positive impact by improving the relationship between parties, but he says he has a lot to get off his chest after six years of holding his tongue. Cooper says he'll vo
measles-cases-increase-in-alberta-22-more-new-cases-reported
AlbertaMay 07, 2025

Measles cases increase in Alberta, 22 more new cases reported

Measles cases in Alberta are increasing day by day and their number reached 287 yesterday. 22 new cases were reported on Tuesday, of which 17 are from the province's South Zone. No new cases have been reported from the Calgary area. Medical officials have been urging the provincial government for several months to make people aware of measles and the government launched a campaign for this on Monday. Measles vaccination will be increased in the coming days across the province. A hotline has also been set up for Albertans, where they can check their vaccination status. This disease has broken
danielle-smith-dismisses-doug-fords-warning-against-separatist-threats-from-alberta
CanadaMay 07, 2025

Danielle Smith dismisses Doug Ford's warning against separatist threats from Alberta

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is urging her Ontario counterpart Doug Ford to mind his own business when it comes to talk of separating from Canada. Smith announced this week that she doesn’t want Alberta to leave Canada but, if enough residents sign a petition asking for a referendum on it, she’ll make sure it’s put to a vote in 2026. Ford, without mentioning Smith by name, says Canadian unity is critical as the country engages in a tariff fight with the United States and now is not the time to threaten to quit the country. Asked about his comment, Smith says she has a great friendship
residents-of-areas-northeast-of-edmonton-ordered-to-evacuate-due-to-wildfires
CanadaMay 07, 2025

Residents of areas northeast of Edmonton ordered to evacuate due to wildfires

Residents in rural areas northeast of Edmonton have been ordered to leave their homes because of separate wildfires. Thorhild County has issued a state of local emergency and an evacuation order for an area south of the hamlet of Radway, Alta., while Athabasca County has issued an evacuation order for an area south of the village of Boyle, Alta. The village has declared a state of local emergency and is under an evacuation alert, with residents being told to prepare to leave by packing a bag for the next 72 hours. Athabasca County is directing its evacuees to a reception centre at Parkland
alberta-city-pays-over-9-5-million-to-155-women-in-class-action-lawsuit-settlement
AlbertaMay 06, 2025

Alberta city pays over $9.5 million to 155 women in class-action lawsuit settlement

A law firm representing women who sued an Alberta municipality over claims of sexual assault, harassment and discrimination says over $9.5 million has been paid out to 155 women whose claims were approved in a settlement. Two female firefighters with the Leduc fire department, south of Edmonton, launched the class-action lawsuit in 2022 claiming they were subject to physical and sexual assault, harassment and bullying while on the job. In a news release late Monday, the law firm of Burnett, Duckworth & Palmer LLP claims the settlement is ``one of the highest per person payouts i

Just In

poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees
33-year-old-woman-arrested-after-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-1-in-abbotsford
BCAug 21, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Arrested After Multi-Vehicle Crash on Highway 1 in Abbotsford

Abbotsford police have arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 1 Thursday night. Police say her red car collided with three other vehicles, including a semi-truck. The crash happened at around 10:41 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1 near the Brander Road rest area. When officers arrived at the scene, they found several vehicles heavily damaged. According to the preliminary investigation, the woman was driving a Chevrolet Spark. The impact was severe, with part of the car's roof torn off and a tire coming off another vehicle. Despite the severity
montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti