21.66°C Vancouver

News

alberta-city-pays-over-9-5-million-to-155-women-in-class-action-lawsuit-settlement
AlbertaMay 06, 2025

Alberta city pays over $9.5 million to 155 women in class-action lawsuit settlement

A law firm representing women who sued an Alberta municipality over claims of sexual assault, harassment and discrimination says over $9.5 million has been paid out to 155 women whose claims were approved in a settlement. Two female firefighters with the Leduc fire department, south of Edmonton, launched the class-action lawsuit in 2022 claiming they were subject to physical and sexual assault, harassment and bullying while on the job. In a news release late Monday, the law firm of Burnett, Duckworth & Palmer LLP claims the settlement is ``one of the highest per person payouts i
quebec-sovereigntist-party-cheers-on-possible-referendum-in-alberta
AlbertaMay 06, 2025

Quebec sovereigntist party cheers on possible referendum in Alberta

The leader of the sovereigntist Parti Québécois is throwing his support behind a possible referendum in Alberta, saying Premier Danielle Smith is standing up for her province. Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says Smith has used the possibility of a referendum to give her province leverage as she makes demands of the federal government. He says Smith has done more to defend her province's autonomy than Quebec Premier François Legault, who promised not to hold a referendum on sovereignty before he was first elected in 2018. Plamondon says provinces have the right to consult their population on the q
alberta-premier-promises-separation-referendum-in-2026-if-petition-signatures-warrant
CanadaMay 06, 2025

Alberta premier promises separation referendum in 2026 if petition signatures warrant

Alberta's premier says a growing number of Albertans are unhappy with Confederation, and she told an online address she will hold a referendum on provincial separation next year if citizens gather the required signatures on a petition. Danielle Smith says Alberta has no choice but to take steps to combat a decade of hostile federal Liberal policies. Smith says she will also chair what she's now calling an Alberta Next panel, hosting a series of town halls to hear ideas and grievances from Albertans. Alberta N-D-P Leader Naheed Nenshi says Smith is coddling people who want to tear Canada a
two-teens-among-four-dead-in-central-alberta-highway-crash
AlbertaMay 05, 2025

Two teens among four dead in central Alberta highway crash

RCMP say four people, including two teens, have died after a head-on vehicle crash south of Edmonton. Mounties say an GMC Acadia was passing other vehicles on Highway 2A just north of Ponoka on Saturday, when it struck an oncoming Volkswagen Tiguan. They say a 41-year-old woman driving the Acadia died at the scene. A 26-year-old man and a 14-year-old boy inside the other SUV were also pronounced dead. A second 14-year-old boy in the Tiguan was taken by air ambulance to hospital but died. All four were residents of Maskwacis, about 70 kilometres south of Edmonton.
alberta-premier-to-give-live-address-on-provinces-path-forward-with-ottawa
AlbertaMay 05, 2025

Alberta premier to give live address on province's 'path forward' with Ottawa

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith will deliver a livestreamed address this afternoon to outline the province’s path forward with Prime Minister Mark Carney's government. Smith has said she will be looking to strike a "What's Next" panel to poll Albertans on issues they want to see addressed after last week's federal election. Carney's Liberals won their fourth consecutive term, and Smith has previously warned the prime minister against any "hostile acts" his new government might take against her province. Smith has long accused the federal Liberals of introducing laws and policies she says take
alberta-reports-17-more-cases-of-measles-bringing-total-to-210
AlbertaMay 05, 2025

Alberta reports 17 more cases of measles, bringing total to 210

Alberta is reporting 17 new cases of measles, bringing the province's total to 210 since the beginning of March. The government says half the total cases have been recorded in the province's south zone, including 13 of the new cases. It says 26 of the total cases are considered active and could be transmitted to others. As of last week, 11 Albertans have been hospitalized with the highly contagious disease. More than 170 of the cases have been in children, with almost 60 seen in those under five. Measles symptoms include fever, coughing, a runny nose, red eyes and a blotchy,
calgary-rejected-not-criminally-responsible-defence-finds-man-guilty-of-murder
AlbertaMay 05, 2025

Calgary rejected not criminally responsible defence, finds man guilty of murder

A jury has found a Calgary man guilty of first-degree murder in the stabbing death of a woman on a downtown street three years ago. Twenty-nine-year-old Michael Adenyi is charged with first-degree murder in the 2022 death of fitness instructor Vanessa Ladouceur on a downtown street. Adenyi has said he was hallucinating and believed he was attacking a creature when he attacked the woman and his lawyers say he is not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder. He followed Ladouceur for nearly two blocks before body checking her into an alcove and stabbing her several times, in
albertas-smith-says-she-doesnt-see-an-appetite-for-provincial-pension-plan
AlbertaMay 02, 2025

Alberta's Smith says she doesn't see 'an appetite' for provincial pension plan

The idea of Alberta opting out of the Canada Pension Plan isn't going anywhere -- at least for now. Premier Danielle Smith says she won't be putting the creation of a provincial pension plan to a referendum any time soon. Smith says she doesn't think Albertans have ``an appetite'' to pull out of the national pension program, and says the issue is further clouded by lack of detail on how much the province would get if it left. In December, Canada's chief actuary published a report saying Alberta's perceived stake of the Canadian Pension Plan's overall assets was substantially over
alberta-mp-to-step-aside-to-allow-pierre-poilievre-to-run-for-seat-in-parliament
CanadaMay 02, 2025

Alberta MP to step aside to allow Pierre Poilievre to run for seat in Parliament

An Alberta M-P is set to step aside to allow Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre to run for a seat in Parliament. Damien Kurek says he's temporarily stepping aside as M-P for the Battle River Crowfoot riding.Kurek will need to be sworn in before he resigns his seat.Prime Minister Mark Carney has said he would call a byelection ``as soon as possible'' if the Conservatives had a member resign their seat so that Poilievre could run again.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees