15.48°C Vancouver

News

AlbertaDec 19, 2025

Alberta plans 2026 pilot to raise speed limits on select rural highways

The Alberta government says it will move ahead in 2026 with a pilot project that would increase speed limits to 120 kilometres per hour on certain rural divided highways across the province. Transportation Minister Devin Dreeshen said the decision follows public feedback gathered through an online survey earlier this fall, when the province asked Albertans whether speed limits should be raised on divided highways. According to the government, about 59,000 people responded, with 68 per cent expressing support for higher limits. Currently, many rural divided highways in Alberta are capped at 110
coquitlam-rcmp-warn-residents-after-spike-in-home-break-ins-targeting-back-doors
BCDec 18, 2025

Coquitlam RCMP warn residents after spike in home break-ins targeting back doors

Coquitlam RCMP are urging residents to take extra precautions after a recent increase in residential break and enters across the city, many involving similar methods and locations. Police say the incidents have raised concern among investigators due to their frequency and pattern. Mounties report receiving about 21 complaints of residential break-ins since November 23. In most cases, suspects entered homes through rear sliding glass doors, with incidents largely occurring between mid-afternoon and late evening, from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Police note that homes backing onto green spaces, trails, or
burnaby-rcmp-seek-public-help-to-identify-suspects-in-south-burnaby-package-theft
BCDec 18, 2025

Burnaby RCMP seek public help to identify suspects in South Burnaby package theft

Burnaby RCMP are asking for the public’s help to identify three people believed to be involved in a package theft at a South Burnaby home earlier this month. Police say the incident happened just before noon on December 1, when a dark-coloured SUV stopped outside a residence. Investigators allege a male suspect briefly exited the vehicle before two female suspects approached the front door and removed multiple delivered packages, placing them in the back of the SUV before driving away. Mounties say package thefts typically increase during the holiday season, with residents across Burnaby and
IndiaDec 18, 2025

Punjab and Haryana High Court dismisses Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh’s plea to attend Parliament session

The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by Khadoor Sahib Member of Parliament Amritpal Singh, who had sought permission to attend the ongoing winter session of Parliament. During the hearing, the court noted that the matter had been repeatedly deferred over the past three days due to the absence of Amritpal Singh’s legal counsel. The bench observed that with the winter session concluding on Friday, it was no longer feasible for the MP to secure parole and participate in the remaining proceedings. The court advised that any request to attend future sessions of
five-firearms-stolen-bullion-seized-in-abbotsford-break-and-enter-investigation
BCDec 18, 2025

Five firearms, stolen bullion seized in Abbotsford break-and-enter investigation

Abbotsford police say five firearms and a large quantity of stolen property have been recovered following the execution of a search warrant tied to a series of break-and-enter cases across the Lower Mainland. The Abbotsford Police Department’s Crime Reduction Unit began investigating in mid-October after receiving multiple reports of property crimes in the region. Investigators later identified suspects believed to be connected to a problem residence in the 27800 block of Myrtle Avenue, an address known to police. On December 10, officers from the Crime Reduction Unit, assisted by frontline
pablo-rodriguez-steps-down-as-quebec-liberal-leader-amid-party-turmoil
CanadaDec 18, 2025

Pablo Rodriguez steps down as Quebec Liberal leader amid party turmoil

Pablo Rodriguez has resigned as leader of the Quebec Liberal Party just six months after taking on the role, saying his continued presence had become a distraction as the party prepares for the next provincial election. Speaking to reporters in Montreal, Rodriguez said he made the decision out of a sense of responsibility to the party, adding that unity will be critical if the Liberals hope to rebuild support and challenge the governing Coalition Avenir Québec next year. He said he is leaving with his head held high, despite the difficult circumstances surrounding his departure. Rodriguez, a
fbi-deputy-director-dan-bongino-to-step-down-next-month-amid-internal-tensions
WorldDec 18, 2025

FBI deputy director Dan Bongino to step down next month amid internal tensions

FBI Deputy Director Dan Bongino says ‘ll resign from his role next month, bringing an end to a short and closely watched tenure as the bureau’s second-in-command. His departure had been widely anticipated following months of friction between FBI leadership and the U.S. Justice Department. Bongino, a former Secret Service agent and conservative media personality, has faced scrutiny over public positions he held before joining the FBI, particularly his commentary on the handling of files related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Since taking office, Bongino has been required to reco
winter-storm-shifts-east-after-causing-widespread-travel-disruptions-on-prairies
CanadaDec 18, 2025

Winter storm shifts east after causing widespread travel disruptions on Prairies

A powerful winter storm that snarled traffic and shut down major highways across the Prairies is now pushing east, bringing heavy snow and dangerous conditions to parts of Ontario and Quebec. Environment Canada says blizzard conditions are continuing across Saskatchewan and Manitoba as the storm moves through southern areas of both provinces. Blowing snow and strong winds are expected to gradually ease later today, but travel remains hazardous on many rural highways and secondary roads. Winter storm warnings are now in effect across north-central Ontario and into Quebec, where snowfall totals
prince-george-rcmp-seize-drugs-weapons-during-series-of-weekend-investigations
BCDec 18, 2025

Prince George RCMP seize drugs, weapons during series of weekend investigations

Prince George RCMP say frontline officers carried out multiple enforcement actions over the weekend aimed at disrupting suspected drug trafficking and removing weapons from the community. Police began the operations on December 12, executing two Controlled Drugs and Substances Act search warrants at residences on the 200 block of McIntyre Crescent. Officers seized ammunition, suspected drug trafficking equipment, several weapons and a small quantity of suspected methamphetamine. No arrests were made, and the investigation remains ongoing. Later the same day, officers searched a residence on th

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to