26.84°C Vancouver

News

WorldJul 03, 2026

Rescue efforts continue in Kyiv after deadly Russian missile and drone attack

Rescue crews continued searching through rubble in Ukraine's capital on Friday, a day after a large-scale Russian missile and drone attack that killed dozens of people, according to Kyiv city officials. Friday was observed as a day of mourning in Kyiv, with flags flown at half-mast on government buildings to honour those killed in the attack. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the death toll has risen to about 30 people, while 92 others were injured. He described it as the deadliest Russian attack on the capital so far this year. According to Klitschko, emergency crews remained at the scene for
death-toll-from-venezuela-earthquakes-rises-to-589-as-international-rescue-efforts-intensify
WorldJun 26, 2026

Death Toll from Venezuela Earthquakes Rises to 589 as International Rescue Efforts Intensify

International rescue teams have ramped up search operations for people trapped under the rubble following two powerful earthquakes measuring 7.2 and 7.5 that struck Venezuela on Wednesday. Authorities say the death toll has risen to 589, while nearly 3,000 people have been injured. Several countries across the Americas, including Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, El Salvador, Cuba and the United States, along with the United Nations, have continued to send rescue teams and humanitarian aid to assist with relief efforts. Venezuela's Health Minister, Carlos Alvarado, said the country's hospitals
powerful-earthquake-strikes-venezuela-massive-casualties-feared
WorldJun 25, 2026

Powerful Earthquake Strikes Venezuela, Massive Casualties Feared

A powerful earthquake has struck the South American nation of Venezuela, causing widespread destruction. Two strong tremors measuring 7.1 and 7.5 in magnitude hit within a minute of each other, leading to severe damage across several areas. According to reports, numerous buildings and homes have collapsed. Authorities have confirmed hundreds of deaths, while thousands of people have been injured. Officials fear that the death toll could exceed 10,000 as many people are still believed to be trapped under the rubble. The strong tremors were felt west of Venezuela's capital, Caracas, where sever
marco-rubio-meets-uae-leaders-in-abu-dhabi-to-discuss-iran-and-regional-security
WorldJun 24, 2026

Marco Rubio Meets UAE Leaders in Abu Dhabi to Discuss Iran and Regional Security

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio met with United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and other senior leaders in Abu Dhabi during his visit to the UAE. According to reports, the two sides discussed President Donald Trump's agreement with Iran, efforts to ensure the safe passage of ships through the Strait of Hormuz, and ways to maintain peace and stability in the region. The meeting also focused on the strong bilateral relationship between the United States and the UAE, as well as ongoing cooperation in defense and trade. U.S. State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigo
severe-heatwave-in-france-claims-58-lives-40-drown-while-trying-to-escape-the-heat
WorldJun 24, 2026

Severe Heatwave in France Claims 58 Lives; 40 Drown While Trying to Escape the Heat

A severe heatwave in France has claimed the lives of 58 people so far. According to reports, many people have been seeking relief from the scorching temperatures by swimming in rivers, lakes, and canals. As a result, 40 people have drowned over the past few days, with most of the victims being young people. In addition, 18 people, including two children, have died from heat-related illnesses and heatstroke. The extreme temperatures also forced the shutdown of France's Golfech nuclear power plant on Monday night. Officials expect the temperature of the Garonne River, which is used to cool the p
WorldJun 22, 2026

Confirmed Ebola cases in eastern Congo rise to 1,003, death toll reaches 254

The number of confirmed Ebola cases in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 1,003, with approximately 254 deaths reported since the outbreak began, according to the country's Health Ministry. In a statement issued Sunday, the ministry said 100 people in Ituri province have recovered from the disease since the outbreak was declared on May 15, 2026. Another 365 patients remain hospitalized or are being treated in isolation centres. Health officials said tracing people who have come into contact with infected patients remains the biggest challenge in containing the outbreak. Accordin
WorldJun 22, 2026

13 killed, dozens injured in explosion at Qatar LNG facility

At least 13 people were killed and 66 others injured after an explosion at Qatar's Ras Laffan liquefied natural gas (LNG) complex on Sunday evening, according to Qatari authorities. Officials said the blast occurred at the Barzan local gas supply facility and was caused by a technical malfunction. Emergency crews responded to the scene and an investigation into the incident has been launched. The explosion happened as operations at parts of the gas complex were being resumed following disruptions linked to an Iranian attack in March. Authorities have not released details about the specific sec
WorldJun 19, 2026

Israel, Hezbollah ceasefire takes effect in Lebanon, officials say

A ceasefire agreement between Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah group has taken effect, according to statements from U.S. and Israeli officials. A U.S. official said the ceasefire came into force at 4 p.m. local time on Friday. The announcement followed a day of continued fighting in southern Lebanon. Reports indicated that approximately 18 people were killed in Israeli airstrikes hours before the ceasefire began. Israel also reported that four of its soldiers were killed during the latest round of hostilities. Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Brig. Gen. Effie Defrin confirmed the ceasefire, sa
WorldJun 18, 2026

Trump, Iranian President Sign Interim Peace Agreement Ahead of Planned Switzerland Ceremony

U.S. President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian have signed an interim agreement aimed at ending hostilities between the United States and Iran, according to statements from officials involved in the negotiations. The signing took place ahead of a formal ceremony that had been scheduled for June 19 in Switzerland. Trump signed the agreement during a dinner hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron at the Palace of Versailles on Wednesday evening. Following the signing, Trump told reporters that the agreement had been finalized. Iranian officials later confirmed that Presid

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees