18.7°C Vancouver

Jan 28, 2026 6:13 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh with files from The Canadian Press

Seniors advocate warns B.C. long-term care system falling behind growing demand

Share On
seniors-advocate-warns-b-c-long-term-care-system-falling-behind-growing-demand
B.C. Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt speaks about long-term care capacity in the province. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia is facing a widening gap between the number of seniors needing long-term care and the availability of publicly funded spaces, according to a new report from the province’s seniors advocate. The findings raise concerns about whether the health care system is prepared for the rapid growth of the aging population.

Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt says demand for long-term care has risen far faster than capacity since 2019. His office’s 2025 Long-Term Care and Assisted Living Directory shows the number of long-term care beds has increased by about five per cent over that period, while the population aged 65 and older has grown by 19 per cent.

Levitt estimates the province will need an additional 16,000 long-term care beds over the next decade just to keep pace. He says there is currently no clear provincial plan to address the shortfall, warning that wait lists and wait times are continuing to grow across B.C.

The report notes that more than 1,400 long-term care beds and six new facilities have been added since 2019, including 513 beds that opened in 2024 and 2025 in communities such as Kamloops, Aldergrove, Victoria and Prince George. However, the data also shows a decline in other supports, with seven fewer publicly subsidized assisted-living units recorded last year compared with the year before.

Levitt also points to ongoing challenges for seniors trying to remain at home, saying publicly funded home support services are often too expensive for families and do not always provide enough care. He warns that without action, pressure on families and the health care system will intensify as the senior population continues to grow.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News