17.82°C Vancouver

Feb 25, 2021 9:26 PM -

Reasons given for allowing men guilty in Surrey Six case an abuse-of-process hearing

Share On
reasons-given-for-allowing-men-guilty-in-surrey-six-case-an-abuse-of-process-hearing
Members of the RCMP search the property surrounding an apartment building in Surrey, B.C. on October 24, 2007. The British Columbia Court of Appeal has revealed its reasons for allowing two men found guilty of the first-degree murder of six people in an apartment building in Surrey, B.C., a new hearing to argue an abuse of process. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

The British Columbia Court of Appeal has revealed its reasons for allowing two men found guilty of the first-degree murders of six people in an apartment building in Surrey, B.C., a new hearing to argue an abuse of process.

The ruling last month quashed the convictions of Cody Haevischer and Matthew Johnston in the so-called "Surrey Six" case but stopped short of ordering a new trial.

The Appeal Court released a brief statement announcing the decision in January, saying lawyers needed time to redact the reasons for judgment to protect confidential information, and the edited reasons were released today.

In its decision, the court says it is not ordering a new trial because a B.C. Supreme Court judge did not make a mistake in excluding Haevischer and Johnston from a pre-trial hearing that allowed a key witness to testify behind closed doors.

However, the court ruled the trial judge did make an error in dismissing an application from the two men for a hearing that would have allowed them to argue their rights were violated by police misconduct and by a lengthy period of solitary confinement before trial.

The Appeal Court affirmed the men's guilty verdicts in the notorious 2007 gang-related murders, but quashed their convictions, and sent the case back to B.C. Supreme Court for an evidentiary hearing on the abuse-of-process arguments.

Latest news

fiona-wilson-takes-over-as-victoria-police-departments-first-female-chief
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Fiona Wilson takes over as Victoria Police Department's first female chief

Vancouver Police Department veteran Fiona Wilson took over as Victoria Police Department's first female chief on Thursday. The official "change of command" ceremony was held at Government House Victoria. Wilson spent 26 years with the Vancouver Police Department and was interim chief of the Vancouver Police Department before taking over as Victoria's chief police officer. She replaces Del Manak, who is retiring after 35 years of service. Former Chief Manak said this is a historic moment for the people of our city and the police department, which is now headed by a woman and I am very proud
first-degree-murder-conviction-by-jury-in-2017-murder-of-nicholas-khabra
BCAug 28, 2025

First-degree murder conviction by jury in 2017 murder of Nicholas Khabra

Nicholas Khabra, 28, was shot dead in Surrey on October 23, 2017. In May 2018, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, began a joint investigation into the case, during which several suspects were under investigation, including Brandon Teixeira. Brandon Texeira has now been found guilty of first-degree murder. Connect FM spoke to CFSEU ​​spokesperson Cpl. Sarbjit Sangha regarding the case, she said “obtaining charges against Texeira was not an easy process. She added, “there was an attempt to arrest Teixeira in 2018, but he eluded
the-sister-of-a-hit-and-run-victim-issues-a-video-plea-for-one-more-witness
BCAug 28, 2025

The sister of a hit-and-run victim issues a video plea for one more witness

On August 30, 2024, 24-year-old Buddy Rhodes’ body was found off to the side of the Coquihalla (Highway #5) near Exit 286 in Merritt, BC. The vehicle and driver that hit him have not been found. On the one-year anniversary of Rhodes’ death, BC Highway Patrol is releasing the victim’s name while his sister issues a video plea for a witness who could help further the investigation. View the video: Alix Legouffe talks about the impact that Buddy’s death has had on her family, and what they are hoping will happen next A collision reconstruction determined that Rhodes was likely hit while s
two-rcmp-officers-in-alberta-charged-with-breach-of-trust-says-watchdog-agency
AlbertaAug 28, 2025

Two RCMP officers in Alberta charged with breach of trust, says watchdog agency

Alberta's police watchdog has charged a pair of RCMP officers from two northern detachments with breach of trust. The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says it was directed in mid-February last year to investigate two officers from the Morinville and Westlock detachments, located north of Edmonton. Watchdog officials say there are reasonable grounds to suggest an offence had been committed, but wouldn't comment further as the matter is before the courts. They say Sgt. Daniel Mayowski of Westlock and Sgt. Sheldon Robb of Morinville both were charged with breach of
CanadaAug 28, 2025

WSO raises concerns after appointment of Indian diplomats in Canada

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is raising concerns following the announcement that Canada and India have appointed new high commissioners as part of a diplomatic reset. Canada has appointed Christopher Cooter, a veteran diplomat with 35 years of service, as its new High Commissioner to India, while India has named Dinesh K. Patnaik as its envoy to Canada. WSO is calling on the Government of Canada to provide clear assurances that newly appointed Indian diplomats will not have intelligence or police backgrounds, will not engage in espionage or criminal activity in Canada, and will

Related News