18.66°C Vancouver

Oct 23, 2025 4:08 PM - The Canadian Press

Officials warn against misinformation as B.C. rolls out influenza, COVID-19 vaccines

Share On
officials-warn-against-misinformation-as-b-c-rolls-out-influenza-covid-19-vaccines
Almost 275,000 people had received the influenza vaccine as of last Sunday, while nearly 215,000 had been immunized against COVID-19.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia's health minister says she is concerned about a "growing amount of misinformation and disinformation" related to vaccines as the province rolls out its campaign for the respiratory illness season.

Josie Osborne says much of the false and misleading information is coming from outside Canada, particularly the United States.

She told a news conference on Wednesday that false claims about vaccines undermine confidence in proven public health measures in B.C., where officials base their decisions on strong scientific evidence and expert medical advice.

Osborne says the false information ranges from "just a simple misunderstanding" to purposeful campaigns aimed at undermining public health.

B.C. has secured 1.94 million doses of this year's flu vaccine and 1.4 million shots of updated COVID-19 vaccines, while more than two million people in the province have received invitations to book their vaccinations.

Dr. Martin Lavoie, deputy provincial health officer, says those propagating false information often appeal to people's emotions and stir up fear about vaccines that are confirmed to be safe and effective in reducing the likelihood of severe illness.

Canada has a "stringent" process to determine vaccine safety, he adds.

Osbornesays getting vaccinated is an "act of care and it is an act of community" that protects people and eases pressures on the health-care system.

"This is about protecting ourselves, but also the people that we love around us."

Lavoie says the respiratory season is just starting in B.C., and while some people are contracting common colds, more severe illness is inevitable.

"We can make a difference by, one, getting vaccinated, but also by taking other measures," he says, including staying home and isolating during illness.

Almost 275,000 people had received the influenza vaccine as of last Sunday, while nearly 215,000 had been immunized against COVID-19.

Lavoie says those at highest risk of respiratory illness include older adults and residents of long-term care facilities as well as pregnant people and infants.

Vaccines are free and available for anyone six months and older, Osborne says, adding shots are being delivered directly to long-term care homes.

The minister says the ongoing strike among B.C. public service workers, including certain health workers, has not affected the rollout of vaccines so far.

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News