22.45°C Vancouver

Oct 16, 2024 3:41 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Chiefs gather to vote on landmark $47.8B child welfare reform agreement with Canada

Share On
chiefs-gather-to-vote-on-landmark-47-8b-child-welfare-reform-agreement-with-canada
Chiefs in Ontario voted in support of the agreement last week, but the AFN is set to discuss three resolutions calling for the deal to be struck down or renegotiated. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

First Nations chiefs from across Canada have gathered in Calgary today for a crucial vote on a $47.8-billion child welfare reform agreement with the federal government - a deal described as one of the most significant Indigenous child welfare settlements in Canadian history.

The proposed agreement, reached in July, is the result of a nearly 20-year legal battle involving Canada, the Chiefs of Ontario, Nishnawbe Aski Nation, and the Assembly of First Nations (AFN). It aims to reform on-reserve child welfare systems and compensate First Nations children and families who suffered from systemic underfunding and discriminatory federal policies.

The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal had earlier ruled that Ottawa’s approach to funding child and family services for Indigenous children was discriminatory, ordering Canada to both compensate affected families and restructure the system.

While Chiefs in Ontario voted in favour of the agreement last week, divisions remain within the AFN. The national assembly is debating three separate resolutions - one to support the deal, another to renegotiate it, and a third calling for it to be scrapped altogether.

Several chiefs have expressed concern that the agreement was negotiated behind closed doors and does not go far enough to prevent future discrimination. Others argue that the deal, while imperfect, represents a long-awaited step toward justice and systemic change.

The special assembly in Calgary will continue until Friday, with a final vote expected Thursday. The outcome could shape the next phase of reconciliation and Indigenous child welfare reform across Canada, including for Indigenous communities in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia, where many families continue to navigate the legacy of foster care and residential school trauma.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News