16.03°C Vancouver

News

AlbertaOct 01, 2025

Family of Alberta boy missing for a week won't stop searching until he's found

The family of a six-year-old Alberta boy missing for more than a week says they won't rest until he's brought home. A statement by the family of Darius Macdougall comes as the search for the boy enters its second week and hundreds comb through mountainous terrain in southern Alberta. It says the family is thankful to the searchers for their dedication and that the community's support has provided them strength and hope. Darius was reported missing after he didn't return from a walk with six young relatives in the Crowsnest Pass area, where the family had been camping. RCMP had
AlbertaOct 01, 2025

No talks planned as 51,000 Alberta teachers set to hit picket lines next week

The head of the Alberta Teachers' Association says no talks are scheduled and 51,000 teachers are set to hit picket lines Monday in a provincewide strike. Jason Schilling says teachers sent a clear message Monday night by overwhelming rejecting the latest contract offer from Premier Danielle Smith's government. Schilling, in an interview on Corus radio, says the government's offer of a 12-per-cent pay raise over four years and a promise to hire 3,000 more teachers is a drop in the bucket compared to what's needed to catch up on wages and reduce overcrowded classrooms. He says th
anand-taking-two-different-approaches-to-building-bridges-with-china-india
CanadaOct 01, 2025

Anand taking two different approaches to building 'bridges' with China, India

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand is off to India and China in the coming weeks, where she plans to take two distinct approaches to mending frayed ties with the world's two most populous countries. "I do not think it is wise to group countries in one region of the world together, and certainly not those two countries," Anand told The Canadian Press. "Our relationship with each of these countries is separate and we are approaching them very differently." Anand spoke Monday after the United Nations General Assembly's high-level week in New York, where she spent several days meeting with forei
rescuers-in-desperate-search-after-a-powerful-earthquake-hit-the-philippines-killing-at-least-69
WorldOct 01, 2025

Rescuers in desperate search after a powerful earthquake hit the Philippines, killing at least 69

Rescuers are using backhoes and sniffer dogs to look for survivors in collapsed houses and other damaged buildings in the central Philippines, a day after an earthquake killed at least 69 people. Officials say the death toll is expected to rise from the magnitude 6.9 earthquake that hit at about 10 p.m. Tuesday. The quake trapped an unspecified number of residents in the hard-hit city of Bogo and outlying rural towns in Cebu province. Army troops, police and civilian volunteers were deployed Wednesday to carry out house-to-house searches. Officials say tntermittment rain and damaged bridges
five-canadian-provinces-boost-their-minimum-wage-alberta-now-lowest
FeaturedOct 01, 2025

Five Canadian provinces boost their minimum wage, Alberta now lowest

Five provinces are increasing their minimum wage today to support workers amid affordability issues. The hikes will apply to Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The provinces have tied their increases to Canada's steadily growing consumer price index, which is an indicator of inflation. Ontario's minimum wage is now $17.60 per hour, Nova Scotia's and Prince Edward Island's are $16.50 an hour, Manitoba's is $16 per hour and Saskatchewan's is $15.35 an hour. Alberta is the only province that has not boosted its minimum wage, with its $15-per-hour rate now the l
saskatchewan-apologizes-to-former-students-of-boarding-school
BCSep 29, 2025

Saskatchewan apologizes to former students of boarding school

The Saskatchewan government is officially saying sorry to survivors and families for its role in the historical abuse and trauma that occurred at a boarding school for Metis and First Nations children. Premier Scott Moe says the province has also agreed to pay $40 million to former students of the Ile-a-la-Crosse Boarding School and their families. The school, northwest of Saskatoon, operated from the 1820s until it burned down in the 1970s. School survivors have said they were banned from speaking their language and were frequently beaten if they did, resulting in the loss of their
vancouver-whitecaps-and-vancouver-fc-face-off-in-the-canadian-championship-final
BCSep 29, 2025

Vancouver Whitecaps and Vancouver FC face-off in the Canadian championship final

The Vancouver Whitecaps will face Vancouver FC in the TELUS Canadian Championship final, this Wednesday, October 1 at 7 p.m. at BC Place Stadium. The Vancouver Whitecaps team recently won the Cascadia Cup for the 8th time, setting a record. The Whitecaps will now be eyeing a fourth consecutive Canadian championship title. The Vancouver Whitecaps won the semi-finals against Forge FC by an aggregate score of 6-2 in the two matches and the team enters the final with strong momentum. Vancouver FC in a huddle during a match of Canadian championship. (Photo - Vancouver FC)However, Vancouver FC from
charger-fails-to-dodge-richmond-rcmp-for-second-time
BCSep 29, 2025

Charger fails to dodge Richmond RCMP for second time

Richmond RCMP Road Safety Unit impounds vehicle a second time as it fails to dodge police enforcement. On September 20, 2025, officers from the Richmond RCMP Road Safety Unit (RSU) were conducting targeted enforcement in east Richmond when an RSU officer stopped a vehicle driving 99km/hr in a 50km/h zone. The vehicle was impounded for excessive speed, and the driver received a violation ticket in the amount of $368, plus the additional cost of towing, impound, and driver premium points. Of note, the officer recalled stopping the exact same vehicle almost exactly one year ago for speeding on Hw
jobs-minister-urges-canada-post-to-table-new-offer-to-striking-union
CanadaSep 29, 2025

Jobs minister urges Canada Post to table new offer to striking union

Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu is urging Canada Post to quickly table an offer to the union of striking postal workers. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers took to the picket lines Thursday after Ottawa announced sweeping changes to the Crown corporation's operations to address its troubled financial situation. Those changes include ending daily mail delivery and moving almost all Canadian households to community mailboxes, moves the union calls a direct attack on workers. In an interview today, Hajdu did not rule out federal intervention to end the latest strike but also said Canada Post needs to

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to