17.15°C Vancouver

Jul 15, 2025 7:49 PM - Connect Newsroom

Project ghost: peel police take down organized crime group behind home invasions

Share On
peel-police-take-down-organized-crime-group-behind-home-invasions
Peel Police Take Down Organized Crime Group Behind Home Invasions.(Photo - The Canadian Press)

Peel Regional Police’s Central Robbery Bureau has taken down an organized criminal network responsible for more than 15 violent home invasions involving high-end vehicle and jewellery thefts across the Greater Toronto Area.

Project Ghost was initiated when a criminal network was identified to be connected to the following violent incidents:

On Aug. 1, 2024, at about 2:45 a.m., three suspects attempted to break into a home on Maybeck Drive in Brampton after targeting a BMW parked in the driveway. The suspects fled in a white Acura after failing to gain entry.

About 30 minutes later, the same suspects broke into a Boathouse Road home and demanded keys to a Mercedes-Benz. Though the victims complied, three were stabbed – one critically, with a wound narrowly missing his heart. The suspects fled in the white Acura. Two were arrested after surveillance, and a third was later arrested with stolen property recovered following a search warrant.

On Sept. 10, the driver of a Lamborghini was shot and seriously injured in a targeted attack in Mississauga. Two suspects were arrested and charged with attempted murder.

The project was able to link the shooting and home invasions to the same criminal group, along with other home invasions and luxury vehicle and jewelry thefts across Peel and Halton. Evidence from seized phones and an accused’s statement connected the network to 13 additional incidents and identified the culprits involved.

As a result, the following men and youth have been arrested and charged with a total of 197 criminal charges related to organized crime, robbery, attempted murder, firearms and more:

Mississauga

  • Muhammad Munzir Sultan (21)
  • Ounali Hussain (25)
  • Muhammad Raed Abbasi (20)
  • Mirza Arfeen Baig (22)
  • Melad Barghouthi (24)
  • Mustafa Alabd (20)
  • Young Person (16)

Toronto

  • Arbaaz Amir (22)
  • Ngor Neli Deng Akuk Ngor (20)
  • Young Person (17)

Brampton

  • Young Person (15)
  • Young Person (16)
  • Young Person (16)

The accused were held for a bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.

In total, the group stole $1.8 million in property, including luxury vehicles and high-end jewellery. Approximately one-third of the stolen property has been recovered. Investigators also seized additional items, including cell phones, laptops, a replica firearm, and a quantity of white powder believed to be cocaine.

The investigation revealed the group operated with defined roles, including leaders and participants responsible for targeting high-end vehicles, coordinating the robberies, selling stolen property, and recruiting youth to carry out the crimes.

As a part of Peel Regional Police’s commitment to community safety and well-being, referrals have been made for the young persons charged and their families to ensure they have access to appropriate resources and support services aimed at preventing reoccurrence of criminal behaviour.

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News