19.51°C Vancouver

News

putin-opens-annual-news-conference-amid-renewed-international-focus-on-ukraine-war
WorldDec 19, 2025

Putin opens annual news conference amid renewed international focus on Ukraine war

Russian President Vladimir Putin has begun his annual year-end news conference, a closely followed event where he traditionally addresses domestic concerns and outlines Moscow’s position on major global issues, including the ongoing war in Ukraine. The televised session is once again combined with a nationwide call-in program, allowing citizens from across Russia to submit questions directly to the president. The format has been a fixture of Putin’s leadership and is often used to reinforce his authority while presenting the Kremlin’s narrative on economic conditions, governance, and for
WorldDec 19, 2025

EU approves 90 billion euro loan package to support Ukraine through 2027

European Union leaders have agreed to provide Ukraine with a 90 billion euro interest-free loan aimed at supporting the country’s military operations and stabilizing its economy over the next two years. The decision was confirmed Friday by European Council President Antonio Costa following late-night negotiations among member states. In a statement posted on social media, Costa said the funding package for 2026 and 2027 reflects the bloc’s long-term commitment to Ukraine as it continues to defend itself against Russia’s invasion. Details on how the loan will be financed have not yet been
supreme-court-declines-interim-bail-to-majithia-issues-notice-to-punjab-government
IndiaDec 19, 2025

Supreme Court declines interim bail to Majithia, issues notice to Punjab government

The Supreme Court of India has declined to grant interim bail to senior Shiromani Akali Dal leader Bikram Singh Majithia in a disproportionate assets case, while issuing a notice to the Punjab government seeking its response to his bail plea. A bench of the top court directed the state government to file its reply within four weeks. The matter has been listed for further hearing on January 19, after the state submits its response. Majithia is facing charges under the Prevention of Corruption Act, with investigators alleging he amassed assets worth more than Rs. 540 crore beyond his known sourc
AlbertaDec 19, 2025

Alberta plans 2026 pilot to raise speed limits on select rural highways

The Alberta government says it will move ahead in 2026 with a pilot project that would increase speed limits to 120 kilometres per hour on certain rural divided highways across the province. Transportation Minister Devin Dreeshen said the decision follows public feedback gathered through an online survey earlier this fall, when the province asked Albertans whether speed limits should be raised on divided highways. According to the government, about 59,000 people responded, with 68 per cent expressing support for higher limits. Currently, many rural divided highways in Alberta are capped at 110
coquitlam-rcmp-warn-residents-after-spike-in-home-break-ins-targeting-back-doors
BCDec 18, 2025

Coquitlam RCMP warn residents after spike in home break-ins targeting back doors

Coquitlam RCMP are urging residents to take extra precautions after a recent increase in residential break and enters across the city, many involving similar methods and locations. Police say the incidents have raised concern among investigators due to their frequency and pattern. Mounties report receiving about 21 complaints of residential break-ins since November 23. In most cases, suspects entered homes through rear sliding glass doors, with incidents largely occurring between mid-afternoon and late evening, from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. Police note that homes backing onto green spaces, trails, or
burnaby-rcmp-seek-public-help-to-identify-suspects-in-south-burnaby-package-theft
BCDec 18, 2025

Burnaby RCMP seek public help to identify suspects in South Burnaby package theft

Burnaby RCMP are asking for the public’s help to identify three people believed to be involved in a package theft at a South Burnaby home earlier this month. Police say the incident happened just before noon on December 1, when a dark-coloured SUV stopped outside a residence. Investigators allege a male suspect briefly exited the vehicle before two female suspects approached the front door and removed multiple delivered packages, placing them in the back of the SUV before driving away. Mounties say package thefts typically increase during the holiday season, with residents across Burnaby and
IndiaDec 18, 2025

Punjab and Haryana High Court dismisses Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh’s plea to attend Parliament session

The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by Khadoor Sahib Member of Parliament Amritpal Singh, who had sought permission to attend the ongoing winter session of Parliament. During the hearing, the court noted that the matter had been repeatedly deferred over the past three days due to the absence of Amritpal Singh’s legal counsel. The bench observed that with the winter session concluding on Friday, it was no longer feasible for the MP to secure parole and participate in the remaining proceedings. The court advised that any request to attend future sessions of
five-firearms-stolen-bullion-seized-in-abbotsford-break-and-enter-investigation
BCDec 18, 2025

Five firearms, stolen bullion seized in Abbotsford break-and-enter investigation

Abbotsford police say five firearms and a large quantity of stolen property have been recovered following the execution of a search warrant tied to a series of break-and-enter cases across the Lower Mainland. The Abbotsford Police Department’s Crime Reduction Unit began investigating in mid-October after receiving multiple reports of property crimes in the region. Investigators later identified suspects believed to be connected to a problem residence in the 27800 block of Myrtle Avenue, an address known to police. On December 10, officers from the Crime Reduction Unit, assisted by frontline
pablo-rodriguez-steps-down-as-quebec-liberal-leader-amid-party-turmoil
CanadaDec 18, 2025

Pablo Rodriguez steps down as Quebec Liberal leader amid party turmoil

Pablo Rodriguez has resigned as leader of the Quebec Liberal Party just six months after taking on the role, saying his continued presence had become a distraction as the party prepares for the next provincial election. Speaking to reporters in Montreal, Rodriguez said he made the decision out of a sense of responsibility to the party, adding that unity will be critical if the Liberals hope to rebuild support and challenge the governing Coalition Avenir Québec next year. He said he is leaving with his head held high, despite the difficult circumstances surrounding his departure. Rodriguez, a

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees