20.28°C Vancouver

News

poilievre-urges-ottawa-to-fast-track-pacific-pipeline-amid-u-s-move-on-venezuelan-oil
BCJan 06, 2026

Poilievre urges Ottawa to fast-track Pacific pipeline amid U.S. move on Venezuelan oil

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is calling on the federal Liberal government to immediately approve a new oil pipeline to Canada’s Pacific Coast, warning that recent actions by the United States in Venezuela could threaten Canadian oil exports to American refineries. In a letter addressed to Prime Minister Mark Carney and posted publicly on Tuesday, Poilievre said the U.S. decision to effectively end sanctions and move toward reviving Venezuela’s oil sector has shifted global energy dynamics. He argued that a resurgence in Venezuelan heavy crude production could directly compete with
quebec-schools-enforce-formal-address-rules-as-part-of-new-student-conduct-codes
CanadaJan 06, 2026

Quebec schools enforce formal address rules as part of new student conduct codes

Students across Quebec are returning to classrooms under new rules that require them to address teachers and school staff using formal titles, as part of a province-wide push to reinforce civility in schools. The Quebec government announced last year that both public and private schools had until January to adopt updated codes of conduct. These codes must require students to address teachers as “Mr.” or “Ms.” and, in French-language settings, use the formal form of “you” when speaking to staff. The conduct codes are also required to outline expectations for respectful behaviour bet
hold-and-secure-lifted-at-nanaimo-district-secondary-after-police-incident-nearby
BCJan 05, 2026

Hold and secure lifted at Nanaimo District Secondary after police incident nearby

A temporary hold and secure was lifted Monday morning at Nanaimo District Secondary School after police responded to an incident in the surrounding area, according to the Nanaimo RCMP. Police recommended the precautionary measure shortly after 9:15 a.m. to school district senior administration as officers investigated a situation near the school. The hold and secure protocol keeps students and staff inside the building while normal classroom activities continue, and is commonly used when there is a potential concern outside school grounds. RCMP said the incident was resolved by approximately 1
IndiaJan 05, 2026

Chandigarh CBI court grants default bail to suspended Punjab Police DIG Harcharan Singh Bhullar

A CBI special court in Chandigarh has granted default bail to suspended Punjab Police Deputy Inspector General Harcharan Singh Bhullar in a disproportionate assets case after the investigating agency failed to file a chargesheet within the stipulated legal timeframe. The court ruled that the Central Bureau of Investigation did not complete the procedural requirement within the period prescribed under law, entitling the accused to default bail. However, the court clarified that Bhullar will not be released from custody as he remains jailed in connection with other corruption related cases. Duri
maduro-appears-in-u-s-court-as-lawyers-prepare-to-challenge-drug-trafficking-case
WorldJan 05, 2026

Maduro appears in U.S. court as lawyers prepare to challenge drug trafficking case

Deposed Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro made his first appearance in a United States courtroom Monday, facing drug trafficking and narco-terrorism charges that U.S. authorities say justified his arrest and transfer to New York. Maduro appeared briefly before a federal judge in Manhattan for an initial procedural hearing, a routine step that marks the beginning of what is expected to be a lengthy legal battle. His defence team is widely expected to argue that he cannot be prosecuted in the U.S. because of immunity claims tied to his status as a former head of state. Earlier in the day, Mad
fatal-two-vehicle-crash-under-investigation-in-burnaby-near-coquitlam-border
BCJan 05, 2026

Fatal two-vehicle crash under investigation in Burnaby near Coquitlam border

Burnaby RCMP are investigating a deadly two-vehicle collision that occurred early Monday morning near the city’s boundary with Coquitlam, leaving one driver dead. Police say officers were called to Austin Road around 5:20 a.m., where they found a serious crash involving two vehicles. One of the drivers was pronounced dead at the scene, while the second driver remained at the location and is cooperating with investigators. The cause of the collision has not been determined, and Mounties say the investigation is ongoing. No information has been released about the identities of those involved.
surrey-police-seek-public-help-to-locate-missing-33-year-old-woman
CanadaJan 05, 2026

Surrey police seek public help to locate missing 33-year-old woman

Surrey Police Service, working alongside the RCMP Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit, is asking for the public’s help in locating a missing woman who has not been heard from for more than two weeks. Police say 33-year-old Joanna Barth was last seen around 7:30 a.m. on December 20 in the 9800 block of Foxglove Drive in Surrey. Investigators report there has been no contact with her since that time. Barth is described as an Indigenous woman standing approximately 5 foot 7 to 5 foot 8 inches tall, weighing between 120 and 130 pounds. Police note she often has dyed hair. Officers say they
heavy-rain-mountain-snow-expected-across-metro-vancouver-as-strong-system-moves-in
BCJan 05, 2026

Heavy rain, mountain snow expected across Metro Vancouver as strong system moves in

Environment Canada is warning residents across parts of Metro Vancouver to prepare for heavy rain and snowfall at higher elevations as a strong weather system moves into the region starting Monday night. According to a special weather statement, some areas near the North Shore mountains could receive close to 70 millimetres of rain, while the City of Vancouver may see totals of up to 40 millimetres by Tuesday afternoon. The heaviest rainfall is expected along mountain slopes, where moisture from the frontal system is forecast to intensify. Forecasters say colder air will cause precipitation to
man-detained-after-damaging-windows-at-u-s-vice-president-jd-vances-ohio-home
WorldJan 05, 2026

Man detained after damaging windows at U.S. Vice President JD Vance’s Ohio home

A man has been detained after damaging property at U.S. Vice President JD Vance’s residence in Ohio, according to the U.S. Secret Service. The agency said agents assigned to protect the home detained the suspect early Monday after windows were broken and additional damage was reported at the property in Cincinnati’s Walnut Hills neighbourhood. Two law enforcement officials said the man used a hammer to break a window and attempted to enter the house. Authorities confirmed the residence was unoccupied at the time of the incident. Vice President Vance and his family were not in Ohio and had

Just In

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic