15.73°C Vancouver

News

registration-numbers-rise-as-canada-monitors-situation-affecting-canadians-in-mexico
CanadaFeb 23, 2026

Registration numbers rise as Canada monitors situation affecting Canadians in Mexico

Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says the number of Canadians registering with federal officials while in Mexico has increased sharply, as Ottawa works to assess the situation and provide assistance. Anand said 26,305 Canadians have now registered with Global Affairs Canada. As of the previous day, that number was approximately 8,000. She cautioned that the actual number of Canadians currently in Mexico could be significantly higher, as not everyone has completed registration with the federal government. According to the minister, Canada’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre r
AlbertaFeb 23, 2026

Edmonton flights to Puerto Vallarta cancelled after violence in Mexico’s Jalisco state

Flights between Edmonton and the Mexican resort city of Puerto Vallarta have been cancelled following reports of widespread violence in the state of Jalisco over the weekend. Edmonton International Airport confirmed that one outbound flight to Puerto Vallarta and three return flights to Alberta were cancelled after unrest broke out in several parts of Jalisco on Sunday. The disruptions have left a number of Edmonton-area travellers stranded in Mexico and families in Alberta seeking updates. The Government of Canada has issued a travel advisory for the state of Jalisco, urging Canadians to exer
albertans-voice-divided-views-on-proposed-october-referendum
AlbertaFeb 23, 2026

Albertans voice divided views on proposed October referendum

Albertans are expressing sharply divided opinions over the provincial government’s plan to hold a referendum this October, with Premier Danielle Smith fielding support and criticism over the weekend. During her regular call-in radio program Saturday morning, Smith heard from several callers who said the proposed vote reflects public concerns, particularly around immigration levels and provincial authority. Supporters told the premier the referendum questions are timely and align with what they see as mounting pressures on housing, health care and other services. At the same time, dozens of p
prime-minister-mark-carney-announces-india-visit-as-part-of-indo-pacific-tour
CanadaFeb 23, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney announces India visit as part of Indo Pacific tour

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced plans to visit India next week as part of a broader trip to the Indo Pacific region that will also include stops in Australia and Japan. The tour is scheduled to run from February 26 to March 7 and is aimed at strengthening trade, energy, technology and defence partnerships. According to the Prime Minister’s Office, Carney will begin his visit in Mumbai, where he is expected to meet business leaders to promote investment opportunities in Canada. He will then travel to New Delhi for talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Discussions are expect
b-c-paramedics-reach-tentative-contract-deal-strike-action-averted
BCFeb 23, 2026

B.C. paramedics reach tentative contract deal, strike action averted

The union representing more than 6,000 ambulance paramedics and emergency dispatchers across British Columbia says it has reached an agreement in principle on a new collective agreement, avoiding the possibility of job action. The Ambulance Paramedics of BC announced the tentative deal following what it described as extensive negotiations with the Health Employers Association of BC and the provincial government. Earlier this month, 97 per cent of participating members voted in favour of strike action, placing the union in a legal strike position pending an essential services order. Instead of
exclusive-pm-mark-carney-on-ending-canadas-extortion-crisis-whats-the-plan
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Exclusive: PM Mark Carney outlines federal plan to disrupt extortion networks as Surrey violence continues

Prime Minister Mark Carney says the federal government is moving new legislation and resources to address extortion-linked threats and violence affecting the Lower Mainland and other parts of Canada. In an interview with Connect Newsroom host Vijay Saini at the B.C. RCMP Headquarters (E Division) in Surrey on Feb. 19, 2026, Carney said his government is “toughening bail” and “toughening sentencing,” and expanding investigative tools aimed at tracking extortion activity, including online communications and financial flows. PM Carney said police leaders told him they support the legisla
whitecaps-fc-and-connect-fm-announce-punjabi-radio-broadcast-partnership
BCFeb 20, 2026

Whitecaps FC and Connect FM announce Punjabi radio broadcast partnership

Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Connect FM 91.5 announced on Friday that the station will become the club’s Official Local Punjabi Radio Broadcast Partner for the 2026 season – a first of it’s kind in Major League Soccer (MLS). As part of the partnership, Connect FM will broadcast all 17 MLS regular season home matches live in Punjabi.Fans can tune in to Connect FM on 91.5 FM and 91.5 HD2 or stream the broadcast live via the Connect FM website, mobile app, or anywhere else the station is available.“Soccer is a universal sport, and we have always taken great pride in representing the diversi
new-westminster-police-seize-pills-and-cash-in-queensborough-drug-trafficking-probe
BCFeb 20, 2026

New Westminster police seize pills and cash in Queensborough drug trafficking probe

Police in New Westminster say a targeted drug trafficking investigation has led to the seizure of a significant quantity of pills, other suspected drugs and cash from a property in the Queensborough neighbourhood. According to the New Westminster Police Department, its Street Crime Unit launched the investigation in January and worked alongside another regional policing agency. Officers later executed a search warrant at a residence in Queensborough as part of the ongoing probe. Sgt. Andrew Leaver said drug trafficking and related violence are not tolerated in the city. He noted that the depar
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada advances to gold medal game after 3–2 semifinal win over Finland

Canada is heading to the gold medal game at the Winter Olympics 2026 after defeating Finland 3–2 in a tightly contested men’s hockey semifinal on Saturday. Finland opened the scoring late in the first period when Mikko Rantanen found the back of the net to give his team a 1–0 lead. Early in the second period, Erik Haula extended Finland’s advantage to 2–0, putting pressure on the Canadian squad. Canada responded before the end of the second period. West Vancouver native Sam Reinhart scored on a deflection with five minutes remaining in the frame, cutting the deficit to 2–1 and shif

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to