15.63°C Vancouver

News

youth-arrested-in-surrey-stabbing-victim-identified
BCNov 24, 2022

Youth arrested in Surrey stabbing, victim identified

A 17-year old man was arrested after a stabbing outside a Surrey High School. Background: On November 22, 2022, at approximately 12:08 p.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing outside of Tamanawis Secondary School, located in the 12600-block of 66 Avenue, Surrey. Officers arrived within minutes and located an 18-year old man suffering life-threatening injuries. Despite the best efforts of responding officers, the victim sadly succumbed to his injuries shortly thereafter. As a result of the quick action of the Surrey RCMP, a 17-year old who was identified as a suspect by witne
surrey-young-man-fatally-stabbed-in-school-parking-lot
BCNov 23, 2022

Surrey: Young man fatally stabbed in school parking lot

Surrey RCMP is currently on scene following stabbing in the Newton area of Surrey that has left one person deceased. On November 22, 2022, at 12:08 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to the report that a person had been stabbed in a school parking lot located in the 12600-block of 66 Avenue. Police arrived within minutes and immediately began lifesaving measures. The 18-year-old victim was transported to hospital, however despite all attempts to revive the individual he has succumbed to his injuries. Police located and arrested one possible suspect who has been transported to Surrey RCMP cells. The
ex-mayor-of-surrey-b-c-doug-mccallum-not-guilty-of-mischief
BCNov 21, 2022

Ex-mayor of Surrey, B.C., Doug McCallum not guilty of mischief

Former mayor of Surrey, B.C., Doug McCallum has been found not guilty of public mischief by a provincial court judge. McCallum was charged after telling police that a woman opposed to his plans to replace the Surrey RCMP with a municipal police force used her car to run over his foot in a grocery store parking lot last year.
premier-david-eby-offers-new-relief-measures-for-bc-residents
BCNov 19, 2022

Premier David Eby offers new relief measures for BC residents

Newly installed Premier David Eby has been fast off the mark to offer new relief measures for BC residents feeling the squeeze from higher inflation. Immediately after he was sworn in to replace John Horgan, Eby announced that BC Hydro customers will be getting a one-time, 100-dollar cost of living credit on their electricity bills this fall. He also announced a BC Affordability Credit for low and middle-income residents starting in January that will provide up to 164-dollars for adults and 41-dollars for children. Eby says the programs are aimed at helping those most affected by the rising c
outgoing-b-c-premier-horgan-makes-pitch-to-provinces-and-pm-to-end-health-gridlock
BCNov 18, 2022

Outgoing B.C. Premier Horgan makes pitch to provinces and PM to end health gridlock

British Columbia's outgoing premier says he has offered a helping hand in resolving a gridlock over health care between provincial and territorial leaders and the federal government. John Horgan, who will pass the premiership to NDP Leader David Eby in an inauguration ceremony Friday, emphasized he's not looking for a job, but says he sent a group text message to his counterparts saying he'd be happy to help any way he can and has indicated the same to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Horgan says he knows the file, he's passionate about it and believes he has the confidence of leaders across th
after-exchange-china-calls-canadas-manner-condescending
CanadaNov 17, 2022

After exchange, China calls Canada's manner 'condescending'

A Chinese spokesperson has accused Canada of acting in a ``condescending manner'' following a testy exchange between President Xi Jinping and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that underscores the depths to which the bilateral relationship has fallen. The comments by a Foreign Ministry spokesperson came after Xi chastised Trudeau at the Group of 20 summit over media reports on an earlier meeting during which Trudeau expressed concern about Chinese interference in Canada's internal affairs. The apparently spontaneous exchange with a translator present was captured on video. The Foreign Mi
dr-henry-says-no-need-for-the-heavy-hand-of-a-mask-mandate-as-respiratory-illnesses-climb-in-many-areas-of-b-c
BCNov 16, 2022

Dr. Henry says no need for the ``heavy hand'' of a mask mandate as respiratory illnesses climb in many areas of B.C.

Provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, says there is no need for the ``heavy hand'' of a mask mandate as respiratory illnesses climb in many areas of BC. Dr. Henry made the comment during a news conference this morning where she noted that 90 per cent of BC residents have some COVID-19 immunity through vaccination, infection or both. She and Health Minister Adrian Dix confirm the province is seeing an expected increase in flu cases while COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus or RSV are also becoming more common, but not at rates seen in other parts of Canada. Henry and Dix recommend
canada-monitoring-situation-as-russia-made-missile-kills-2-in-explosion-in-poland
CanadaNov 16, 2022

Canada monitoring situation as ‘Russia-made’ missile kills 2 in explosion in Poland

Poland says it was a Russian-made missile that fell in a village in the eastern part of the country and killed two people. Its foreign minister summoned the Russian ambassador and demanded an immediate detailed explanation. The confirmation means this is the first time in the war that a Russian weapon has come down in a NATO member country. Canada and other NATO members on both sides of the Atlantic are scrambling over how to respond to a potential escalation of the war in Ukraine. Canada and other NATO members on both sides of the Atlantic are scrambling over how to respond to a potential es
vancouver-police-identify-suspects-who-poured-maple-syrup-on-emily-carr-painting
BCNov 15, 2022

Vancouver police identify suspects who poured maple syrup on Emily Carr painting

Vancouver police say they've identified the suspects who threw maple syrup on an Emily Carr painting and glued themselves to a wall at the Vancouver Art Gallery over the weekend. Sgt. Steve Addison says an investigation is underway and officers will be speaking to witnesses, reviewing security video and assessing the cost of the damage.The Vancouver Art Gallery says in a statement that Carr's "Stumps and Sky" painting suffered no permanent harm.It quotes director and CEO Anthony Kiendl as saying the gallery "condemns acts of vandalism" towards works of cultural significance in its care, or in

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to