17.85°C Vancouver

News

economy-lost-213-000-jobs-in-january-biggest-decline-since-april-statistics-canada
CanadaFeb 05, 2021

Economy lost 213,000 jobs in January, biggest decline since April: Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada says the economy lost almost 213,000 jobs in January as employment fell to the lowest level since August last year, wiping out the gains made in the fall.The unemployment rate rose 0.6 percentage points to 9.4 per cent, the highest rate since August. Financial data firm Refinitiv says the average economist estimate was for a loss of 47,500 jobs in January and an unemployment rate of 8.9 per cent.The losses were almost entirely concentrated in Ontario and Quebec, and mostly in the retail sector as lockdowns and restrictions closed many businesses.Employment declines were heav
b-c-officials-urge-safe-choices-on-super-bowl-sunday-amid-covid-19-variants
BCFeb 05, 2021

B.C. officials urge 'safe choices' on Super Bowl Sunday amid COVID-19 variants

The COVID-19 curve is slowly bending downward in British Columbia but health officials are urging caution for those making weekend plans given the presence of new variants. The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began. There are 4,447 active cases and of those, 257 people are hospitalized including 76 in intensive care. Six more people have died for a total death toll of 1,240 in B.C., while about 62,078 people who tested positive are considered recovered. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint s
pictures-of-celebrities-supporting-farmers-protest-burnt-greta-thunberg-meena-harris-among-celebrities-who-said-they-still-support-the-farmers-protest
WorldFeb 05, 2021

Pictures of celebrities supporting farmers protest burnt; Greta Thunberg, Meena Harris among celebrities who said, 'they still support the farmers protest'

A mega pop star, a beloved activist and a relative of a ground-breaking politician have angered the Indian government by tweeting support for protesting farmers. It took just one tweet from Rihanna to anger the Indian government and supporters of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's party. Tens of thousands of farmers have been protesting new agriculture laws they say will devastate their earnings. Greta Thunberg and the niece of US Vice-President Kamala Harris are also among those who tweeted their support. Although Greta Thunberg tweeted again in the support of Indian farmers. She wrote "No amoun
covid-19-ban-on-cruise-ships-in-canadian-waters-extended-to-2022
CanadaFeb 04, 2021

COVID-19 ban on cruise ships in Canadian waters extended to 2022

The federal government says a ban on cruise ships in Canadian waters will stay in place for one more year. The ban until Feb. 28, 2022 applies to cruise ships carrying more than 100 people as well as pleasure crafts operating in the Arctic, except for those used by residents in the region. The ban was originally put in place last year was to expire at the end of February. A news release from Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says the ban in necessary to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect vulnerable communities. He also says it will allow public health authorities to focus on pressing is
police-identify-victim-of-deadly-targeted-shooting-in-langley-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Police identify victim of deadly targeted shooting in Langley, B.C.

Homicide investigators have identified the victim of a targeted shooting in Langley, B.C. Sgt. Frank Jang with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 22-year-old Arshdeep Singh died in the late-night attack on Jan. 26. Jang says Singh's name and photo are being released in an effort to further the investigation, but he provided no other information. Singh was in the driver's seat of a car parked in a residential area of Langley when it was riddled by gunfire, killing him and injuring a man in the passenger seat.In the hours after the shooting, Jang confirmed Singh had been known to p
burnaby-hospital-reports-new-covid-19-flare-up-two-days-after-declaring-outbreak-over-414-new-covid-19-cases-and-16-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Burnaby Hospital reports new COVID-19 flare-up two days after declaring outbreak over; 414 new COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths reported in B.C.

Just a few days after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared over at the hospital in Burnaby, B.C., another flare-up has been reported at the health centre. The Fraser Health authority says nine patients in the medicine unit at Burnaby Hospital have tested positive and it has been temporarily closed to admissions. The emergency department remains open at the hospital and enhanced cleaning and contact tracing has begun. B.C. reported 414 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, for a total of 68,780. There were also 16 more COVID-19-related deaths, 4,426 active cases and 278 in hospital. Provincial healt
proud-boys-other-extreme-right-wing-groups-among-13-added-to-canadas-terror-list
CanadaFeb 04, 2021

Proud Boys, other extreme right-wing groups, among 13 added to Canada's terror list

The Trudeau government is adding the Proud Boys and three other extreme right-wing groups to its list of terrorist organizations. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says the groups have proven themselves to be violent, as was seen in the United States during the riot at the Capitol building in Washington, DC last month. The four right-wing groups are among 13 additions to the list, which include three groups linked to al-Qaida, four associated with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and one Kashmiri organization. The government notes the Proud Boys played a "pivotal role in the insurrecti
CanadaFeb 03, 2021

Canada could get up to 1.1 million additional doses of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March

Canada could get up to 1.1 million additional doses of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March through the global vaccine-sharing initiative COVAX. That's if and when it's approved by Health Canada, and would be over and above Ottawa's existing agreement with the drugmaker. And since there is the potential for production delays, COVAX is giving countries a range of potential deliveries. Canada was told it would get between 1.9 million and 3.2 million doses by the end of June, with between 500,000 and 1.1 million of those arriving before the end of next month. The vaccine alliance
charan-gill-labour-and-human-rights-pioneer-in-british-columbia-dies-at-84
BCFeb 03, 2021

Charan Gill, labour and human rights pioneer in British Columbia, dies at 84

A longtime labour and human rights leader in British Columbia has died. The family of Charan Gill say he died in hospital on Feb. 2, following a battle with cancer. Gill was 84. Born in Hong Kong and raised in India, Gill moved to Canada in 1967, settling in Surrey, where he co-founded the Canadian Farmworkers Union and the British Columbia Organization to Fight Racism. The farm workers union led to improved pay, benefits and working conditions for farm and ranch workers across Canada while the organization to fight racism was instrumental in stemming the growth of racist groups in B.C. Gill

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees