Feb 20, 2026 4:59 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Canada’s Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn tariffs imposed under former president Donald Trump’s emergency powers validates Canada’s long-standing position that the measures were unjustified.
In a statement responding to the ruling, LeBlanc said the court’s decision confirms Canada’s argument that duties introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act were not legally sound. Ottawa had previously raised concerns that the tariffs created uncertainty for cross-border trade and harmed Canadian exporters.
However, the minister cautioned that the ruling does not eliminate all trade risks facing key Canadian industries. The court’s decision does not apply to separate tariffs imposed under Section 232 of U.S. trade law, which were justified on national security grounds.
Those Section 232 measures continue to affect Canadian exports of steel, aluminum, lumber and certain automotive products. These sectors are significant employers in provinces including Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia, and have been central to past trade tensions between the two countries.
LeBlanc said further work remains to support affected Canadian businesses and workers, noting that Ottawa will continue engaging with U.S. counterparts to seek greater stability and predictability in the bilateral trade relationship.



