15.54°C Vancouver

News

federal-government-is-warning-people-not-to-stockpile-their-prescriptions
CanadaMar 30, 2020

Federal government is warning people not to stockpile their prescriptions

The federal government is warning people not to stockpile their prescriptions. It says there could be local shortages of medications if people hoard more than they need. The government has advised pharmacies not to dispense more than necessary, and is monitoring the supply of drugs.
canadian-military-ready-to-mobilize-24-000-troops-for-covid-19-defence-minister
CanadaMar 30, 2020

Canadian military ready to mobilize 24,000 troops for COVID-19: Defence Minister

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the military is getting ready to support COVID-19 mitigation efforts. He says there are up to 24,000 regular and reserve force members prepared to roll out. Sajjan says the work could include direct support to communities or help with logistics. But he says the military has yet to receive a direct request for aid.
dr-theresa-tam-220-000-people-have-been-tested-for-covid-19
CanadaMar 30, 2020

Dr. Theresa Tam: 220,000 people have been tested for COVID-19

Canada's chief public health officer says 220,000 people have been tested for COVID-19. Dr. Theresa Tam says three per cent have been confirmed positive, and 93 per cent confirmed negative. She says of the over 6,000 cases diagnosed so far, seven per cent have required hospitalization, three per cent are critical, and one per cent have been fatal.
CanadaMar 30, 2020

COVID-19: Two inmates have tested positive at a maximum-security prison in Quebec

Two inmates have tested positive for COVID-19 at a maximum-security prison in Quebec, the first confirmed cases involving prisoners in a federal institution. The Correctional Service of Canada says that prior to the two inmates being diagnosed, nine employees who work at Port-Cartier Institution also tested positive for the virus. The service says in a news release all of these employees are in isolation at home and are following direction from local health officials. As of Saturday, 50 tests were conducted on inmates in institutions with 45 negative and two positive results, with three ot
large-business-non-profits-charities-all-eligible-for-wage-subsidy-trudeau
CanadaMar 30, 2020

Large business, non-profits, charities all eligible for wage subsidy : Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the new wage subsidy program will cover all businesses whose revenue has dropped by at least 30 per cent because of COVID-19. That includes non-profits and charities. Trudeau revealed more details about the previously announced program this morning. He says there is no restriction on the number of employees a company must have in order to qualify. Under the program, the government will cover 75 per cent of salary on the first $58,700 a person earns.
CanadaMar 30, 2020

Ontario reports 351 new COVID-19 cases

Ontario is reporting a major surge both in the number of new COVID-19 cases in the province as well as those that have been resolved. New government figures show 351 new cases of the virus since yesterday. The government says the massive jump is due in part to clearing a major backlog of tests. But the province, which has changed the way COVID-19 cases are documented, says the number of active cases is actually a bit lower than previously believed, thanks to a huge uptick in the number of cases considered resolved.
CanadaMar 29, 2020

COVID-19: Help announced for kids and seniors

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government is investing millions of additional dollars to help children in need as well as seniors cope with the COVID-19 crisis. Trudeau says the government is investing an extra $7.5 million into the national Kids Help Phone program to pay for more counsellors and volunteers. The government is also providing an extra $9 million to theUnited Way to help with checking up on seniors as well as deliveringfood and groceries.
sofi-and-kids-now-at-harrington-lake-justin-trudeau-remains-in-self-isolation
CanadaMar 29, 2020

Sofi and kids now at Harrington Lake, Justin Trudeau remains in self isolation

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is remaining in self-isolation at his home in Ottawa for close to two more weeks to ensure he does not have COVID-19. His wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau tweeted news of her recovery from the respiratory illness Saturday, but Trudeau says public health advice is that he remain in isolation for two weeks following her recovery. Trudeau, who first went into self-isolation on March 13 after Gregoire Trudeau was diagnosed with the illness, says there is still a chance he has the illness, and he is following the lead of many Canadians now working at home. The prim
CanadaMar 28, 2020

Domestic air, train travel not allowed for anyone with COVID-19 symptoms

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to board domestic flights or intercity trains. Trudeau says the new requirement will begin Monday at noon. Canadians returning to the country already can't board planes if they are showing symptoms. Trudeau says it will up to the train and plane operators to ensure people with symptoms don't board. He says all those showing symptoms should be in self-isolation. Trudeau made the announcement outside this residence where he is self-isolating after his wife tested positive for the virus. Canada has more tha

Just In

BCAug 06, 2026

Fort St. John RCMP investigate second targeted drive-by shooting in recent weeks

RCMP are investigating a targeted drive-by shooting in Fort St. John that damaged several properties but did not result in any reported injuries. The incident marks the second targeted shooting in the city within the past few weeks. According to Fort St. John RCMP, officers responded to reports of gunfire at about 1:37 a.m. Thursday in the 9800 block of 108 Avenue, near the city's downtown area. Investigators found bullet damage to a travel trailer, two nearby homes and a vehicle. Police said no injuries were reported. As of publication, investigators have not released a description of any sus
federal-government-restores-full-health-coverage-for-refugees-and-asylum-claimants
CanadaAug 06, 2026

Federal government restores full health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants

The federal government under Prime Minister Mark Carney has reversed recent cuts to health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants, restoring full benefits under the Interim Federal Health Program. New rules introduced on May 1, 2026 required eligible refugees to pay a $4 co-payment for prescription medications. The changes also required them to cover 30 per cent of the cost of supplemental services, including dental care, vision care, physiotherapy and mental health services. The policy drew criticism from frontline physicians, human rights organizations and community advocates, who argued
rcmp-warn-western-canada-trucking-businesses-about-credit-card-fraud-scheme
CanadaAug 06, 2026

RCMP warn Western Canada trucking businesses about credit card fraud scheme

The Saskatchewan RCMP is warning trucking and transportation-related businesses across Western Canada about a credit card fraud scheme targeting commercial suppliers. According to an RCMP news release, suspects are contacting businesses by phone and using fraudulent credit cards to purchase truck tires, engine oil, trailer parts and other high-value items. Police say the fraud typically begins with a phone order and payment by credit card. The initial transaction may appear as approved or pending, prompting businesses to ship the goods by courier. After the shipment is delivered, the credit ca
rustad-criticizes-b-c-premiers-public-response-as-wildfire-evacuations-continue
BCAug 06, 2026

Rustad criticizes B.C. premier's public response as wildfire evacuations continue

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has criticized Premier David Eby over his public response as thousands of people across British Columbia remain under evacuation orders because of ongoing wildfires. Rustad said it was unacceptable that the premier had not addressed the public while many residents remain displaced and families are uncertain whether their homes have survived. He described the situation as a failure of leadership, saying people affected by the fires expect clear answers and support from the province's top elected official. According to statements released by the B.C. Conserva
modi-netanyahu-discuss-west-asia-developments-in-phone-call
IndiaAug 06, 2026

Modi, Netanyahu discuss West Asia developments in phone call

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke by telephone on Thursday to discuss recent developments in West Asia and the current regional situation. According to information released by Indian authorities, the two leaders also reviewed ongoing cooperation under the India–Israel Strategic Partnership. They reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral cooperation across multiple sectors. The conversation comes as both countries continue regular high-level engagement on regional and bilateral issues. Prime Minister Modi last spoke with Netan