24.3°C Vancouver

News

man-injured-as-surrey-police-probe-two-separate-overnight-shootings
BCJan 02, 2026

Man injured as Surrey police probe two separate overnight shootings

Surrey RCMP are investigating two separate shootings that occurred within about an hour overnight in different parts of the city, leaving one man injured and prompting renewed public safety concerns. Police say officers were first called shortly before midnight to the Newton neighbourhood near 140B Street and 59 Avenue. When they arrived, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to hospital and is expected to survive. A second man was arrested at the scene, and investigators say the incident does not appear to be connected to the recent extortion-related cases in Surrey. A
snowmobiler-killed-in-avalanche-near-tumbler-ridge-in-northeastern-b-c
BCJan 02, 2026

Snowmobiler killed in avalanche near Tumbler Ridge in northeastern B.C.

A snowmobiler has died after being caught in an avalanche in the Rocky Mountains of northeastern British Columbia, according to Avalanche Canada. The incident happened Tuesday in the Bullmoose area near Tumbler Ridge, where three snowmobilers were riding together. Avalanche Canada said the slide was remotely triggered from the bottom of the slope, highlighting the unstable conditions in the region at the time. One of the riders was fully buried by the avalanche and did not survive, despite rescue efforts by the other members of the group. No additional injuries were reported. Avalanche Canada
eby-marks-new-years-day-with-focus-on-economic-resilience-and-affordability-challenges
BCDec 31, 2025

Eby marks New Year’s Day with focus on economic resilience and affordability challenges

British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province enters the new year with growing economic confidence, while acknowledging that many families continue to face financial pressure. In a New Year’s Day statement, Eby reflected on a turbulent year marked by international trade tensions that, he said, threatened Canada’s economy and sovereignty and had direct impacts on workers and communities in British Columbia. He credited residents across the province for responding with unity and support for those affected. The premier said the provincial government’s priority over the past year has
BCDec 31, 2025

Police operation in Fraser Valley leads to arrests and seizure of firearms, drugs, and cash

A coordinated police response across the Upper Fraser Valley led to the arrest of two men and the seizure of firearms, drugs, and cash following an attempted traffic stop that began in Hope and ended in Chilliwack late Monday evening. Hope RCMP officers first attempted to stop a vehicle around December 23 in connection with several driving violations. The driver failed to pull over, and officers chose not to pursue the vehicle due to public safety concerns. Details about the suspect vehicle were then shared with Chilliwack RCMP, who located it as it entered the city along Highway 1. Police mai
three-charged-with-first-degree-murder-after-fatal-shooting-in-brampton-plaza
BCDec 31, 2025

Three charged with first-degree murder after fatal shooting in Brampton plaza

Peel Regional Police have charged three men with first-degree murder following a fatal shooting near a busy shopping plaza in Brampton earlier this week. Investigators say the incident occurred near Shoppers World on Main Street and appears to have been targeted. Police were called to the area around 7:02 p.m. on Monday after reports of gunfire. Officers found a 25-year-old man inside a vehicle suffering from gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators allege the victim was driving out of the plaza when several suspects approached his vehicle and opened fire. After sever
missing-north-vancouver-teen-found-dead-in-vancouver-police-investigate
BCDec 31, 2025

Missing North Vancouver teen found dead in Vancouver, police investigate

A 16-year-old girl who was reported missing from North Vancouver has been found dead inside a Vancouver home, prompting a joint investigation by major crime and forensic teams. Vancouver police say officers were called to a residence near East Pender Street and Renfrew Street shortly after 9 a.m., where the teen was discovered deceased. The girl had been reported missing the previous day, and North Vancouver RCMP had already launched a missing person investigation before the discovery was made. Authorities have not released the teen’s identity, and the cause of death has not yet been determi
vancouver-man-charged-after-alleged-knife-threat-during-spray-painting-incident
BCDec 31, 2025

Vancouver man charged after alleged knife threat during spray-painting incident

Vancouver police have charged a 50-year-old man following an incident in the city’s downtown core where a pedestrian was allegedly threatened with a knife after confronting someone spray-painting property. Police say the incident occurred Saturday morning around 9:48 a.m. near the intersection of West Hastings and Hamilton streets, an area that sees heavy foot traffic during weekend mornings. According to investigators, a person walking to work noticed a man allegedly spray-painting in the area and confronted him. Police allege the suspect responded by spraying paint toward the pedestrian an
harman-bhangu-signals-possible-bid-for-b-c-conservative-leadership
BCDec 31, 2025

Harman Bhangu signals possible bid for B.C. Conservative leadership

B.C. Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu says he is leaning toward entering the race for the party’s leadership, but will wait to make a final decision until the rules are formally released in the new year. Bhangu, who represents Abbotsford-Langley, said he expects the party to outline the leadership framework in the second or third week of January. He noted that the structure of the race, including timelines and fundraising requirements, will play a key role in whether he puts his name forward. His comments come days after federal Conservative MP Aaron Gunn confirmed he will not seek the provinc
heavy-rainfall-closes-highway-16-isolates-prince-rupert-and-parts-of-b-c-north-coast
BCDec 30, 2025

Heavy rainfall closes Highway 16, isolates Prince Rupert and parts of B.C. north coast

Persistent and intense rainfall across British Columbia’s north coast has forced the closure of major highways and temporarily cut off road access to Prince Rupert, raising concerns about travel disruptions and infrastructure damage in the region. Provincial transportation officials say Highway 16, the primary route linking Prince Rupert with Terrace and other inland communities, has been closed in both directions due to flooding. DriveBC reports water over the roadway and unsafe driving conditions following days of sustained rain. Environment Canada says more than 200 millimetres of rain fe

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees