12.09°C Vancouver

News

quebec-nurses-health-staff-launch-four-day-strike
CanadaDec 11, 2023

Quebec nurses, health staff launch four-day strike

About 80,000 unionized Quebec nurses and other health-care workers will be joining fellow public sector workers already on strike since last week. The health workers are members of the FIQ, who will begin a four-day strike today, joining workers from four unions representing 420,000 Quebec public sector workers who began a weeklong strike on Friday. Those workers include teachers, education support staff and lab technicians and are members of a group of four unions that calls itself the "common front." The unions rejected the government's most recent contract offer, which includes a salary
seniors-over-87-can-apply-to-join-federal-dental-plan-starting-next-week
CanadaDec 11, 2023

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Ottawa announced today that seniors over the age of 87 will be the first cohort that can apply to join a new federal dental-benefits plan, which will be phased in slowly over the next year. Health Minister Mark Holland announced the rollout of the program this morning, and it is budgeted to cost 13 billion dollars over the next five years.The program is for people with an annual household income under 90-thousand dollars who don't have access to private insurance. Eligibility will be slowly expanded over the course of 2024 to include all qualifying seniors, children under the age of 18 and peo
speaker-greg-fergus-apologizes-to-committee-for-video-shown-at-political-convention
CanadaDec 11, 2023

Speaker Greg Fergus apologizes to committee for video shown at political convention

House Speaker Greg Fergus apologized to a committee of MPs this morning for a video he made that was shown at a recent Ontario Liberal Party convention. Fergus was called to speak to the committee on procedure and House affairs, which is examining whether the non-partisan Speaker should be punished for appearing in the video in his ceremonial robes. The committee has scheduled five hours of hearings on this today, with witnesses that also include House clerks and John Fraser, the Ontario member of the provincial parliament who was the subject of Fergus's video. Fergus says a member of Frase
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Feds recover $40M from defunct Quebec vaccine developer Medicago

The federal government says it has recovered $40 million from the now-defunct Quebec-based vaccine developer Medicago, and the intellectual property will remain in Canada under a new firm. The government provided Medicago a $173-million advance in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic to develop and produce a plant-based vaccine in Quebec City. The company's Japanese parent company, Mitsubishi Chemical Group, shut down Medicago's operations in February as global demand for vaccinations plummeted. Though Medicago's vaccine was approved for use in Canada, it was not approved by the World Healt
1-in-9-canadian-adults-have-had-long-term-symptoms-from-covid-infection-statcan-says
CanadaDec 08, 2023

1 in 9 Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID infection, StatCan says

Statistics Canada says about one in nine Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID-19 infection.The report released today says that amounts to 3.5 million Canadians. Symptoms are defined as long-term if they persist for three months or longer after a COVID-19 infection and they can't be explained by anything else. Almost 80 per cent of people with long-term symptoms have them for six months or more. StatCan says more than half of those who ever had long-term symptoms still had them as of June 2023. Two-thirds of Canadian adults who have tried to get health-care services for their
more-than-200-crashes-reported-as-wintry-weather-returns-to-calgary
CanadaDec 08, 2023

More than 200 crashes reported as wintry weather returns to Calgary

More than 200 crashes have occurred from last night to this morning due to Thursday night's snow fall in Calgary. Due to the storm, the drivers had to face a lot of trouble. According to the police, people have been injured in 13 out of 200 crashes.They said that 6 crashes took place this morning, out of which injuries were reported during one of the accidents. Due to slippery roads, control over vehicles is reduced. According to city officials, they have ordered more crews and 60 trucks to remove snow from the roads. Snow removal is being done with the help of roller coaster.People are warned
salmonella-spread-by-eating-malichita-brand-melons-in-canada-5-people-died
BCDec 08, 2023

Salmonella spread by eating Malichita brand melons in Canada, 5 people died

The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on December 1st, when a single death had been recorded. There are also 17 cases in Ontario, 15 in British Columbia, and two each in Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador. The agency issued food recall warnings three times in November for Malichita cantaloupes sold between October 11th and November 14
canada-implements-stricter-rules-for-international-students-may-limit-visas
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Canada implements stricter rules for international students, may ‘limit visas’

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa will require foreigners applying to study in Canada to have double the amount of funds currently required. Miller says the change is among those meant to ensure international students aren't left vulnerable to sketchy employers and unable to afford life in Canada. He is also warning provinces that the Liberals might limit visas if colleges and universities don't adequately support students, but he tells reporters that governments need to have more conversations before such changes. The Liberals are also ramping down a policy that lengthened the
quebec-unions-representing-420-000-public-sector-workers-start-weeklong-strike
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Quebec unions representing 420,000 public sector workers start weeklong strike

Unions representing 420,000 Quebec public sector workers are beginning a weeklong strike today. The workers, including teachers, education support staff and lab technicians, are members of a group of unions that calls itself the "common front." The temporary strike comes after the common front rejected the government's most recent contract offer, which includes a salary increase of 12.7 per cent over five years. It is the group's third temporary strike since early November, and the unions say it will be the last before they launch an unlimited strike. Around 66,000 teachers who are members of

Just In

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa