22.78°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJul 29, 2025

Alberta, provincial employee union agree to renewed mediation in last attempt at deal

Alberta and the union representing thousands of provincial government employees say they have agreed to a new round of mediated bargaining. Alberta Union of Provincial Employees president Guy Smith says the renewed talks are considered the final opportunity for getting a new deal for some 23,000 government workers after 18 months of bargaining. Smith credits Finance Minister Nate Horner for stepping in to restart talks and recognizing the importance of continuing negotiations. The union and the government have agreed not to disclose their bargaining positions publicly but Smith says
former-ucp-caucus-members-trying-to-resurrect-pc-name-in-alberta
CanadaJul 24, 2025

Former UCP caucus members trying to resurrect PC name in Alberta

Alberta's governing United Conservative Party has now brought in the lawyers in a fight over a legacy name. The U-C-P was created eight years ago in a merging of the old Progressive Conservatives and the Wildrose Party. But now two former members of Premier Danielle Smith's U-C-P caucus want to resurrect the P-C name and use it for a party to run against Smith. The U-C-P says it has sent a cease-and-desist letter to the two members, saying the P-C name still belongs to them and can't be legally appropriated. The two former members _ Peter Guthrie and Scott Sinclair _ were booted out o
AlbertaJul 23, 2025

Alberta pays out $143 million to company over coal policy reversal

Alberta is paying out more than $140 million to end one of five lawsuits launched against it over its coal mining policies. A notice published online by Atrum Coal says the company has agreed to end its lawsuit and surrender its land back to the province in exchange for the payment. The company says it received just under $137 million last week and will receive another $6 million after it completes some reclamation work. Atrum was one of two companies suing the province that announced last month that settlements were reached, but the other,Evolve Power, has yet to share details.
AlbertaJul 22, 2025

Two Canadian soldiers stabbed during brawl in Alberta, RCMP investigating

Two Canadian soldiers posted to a base in eastern Alberta are expected to recover after a stabbing. RCMP say officers were called Friday to a disturbance at a home in Wainwright, west of the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary. They say a 23-year-old man has been charged with two counts of assault with a weapon, as well as possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. Armed Forces spokeswoman Lt.-Col. Lena Angell says three junior military members were involved in a brawl. She says the two injured were treated in hospital in Wainwright and one of them was later sent to Edmonton for mor
solemn-events-planned-to-mark-one-year-since-25-000-fled-jasper-wildfire
FeaturedJul 22, 2025

Solemn events planned to mark one year since 25,000 fled Jasper wildfire

Today marks one year since roughly 25,000 tourists and residents of Jasper, Alta., were forced to flee on a single highway, after several runaway fires were discovered in Jasper National Park. There's expected to be solemn reflection in the beloved mountain town, as events are held to remember the evacuation and the flames that incinerated neighbourhoods two days later. A third of the town's structures were destroyed despite firefighters' best efforts. It's estimated about 2,000 people were displaced by the fire. A ceremony is scheduled with Mayor Richard Ireland and federal Emergency Manageme
premier-criticizes-report-that-says-alberta-hindered-efforts-to-fight-jasper-fire
AlbertaJul 18, 2025

Premier criticizes report that says Alberta hindered efforts to fight Jasper fire

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she is disheartened by a report into last summer's Jasper wildfire that she says unfairly criticizes and minimizes the contributions of her government. Smith, in a statement on social media, says the report and media coverage of it are “politically motivated,” but doesn’t elaborate. The report, based on surveys of firefighters and others, says Smith’s government complicated the response to the fire, which destroyed a third of the Jasper townsite. It says the province regularly requested information and attempted to make decisions despite not being j
AlbertaJul 18, 2025

Candidate in federal Alberta byelection stops door knocking due to death threats

An Independent candidate running in a rural Alberta byelection says she has stopped door-knocking because of death threats. Sarah Spanier says she has told Mounties about the online threats, which she attributes to her advocacy for transgender people. She says she has received some messages stating she will be met with a shotgun if she knocks on doors. Spanier is one of almost 80 candidates running in Battle River-Crowfoot, with voters going to the polls Aug. 18. The riding was won handily by Conservative Damien Kurek in the April general election, but Kurek stepped down to all
report-says-alberta-government-created-command-challenges-fighting-jasper-wildfire
CanadaJul 18, 2025

Report says Alberta government created command challenges fighting Jasper wildfire

A report commissioned by the town of Jasper says crews did their best to fight last year's devastating wildfire but the Alberta government complicated the response. The report was based on surveyed participants and firefighters who battled the blaze that destroyed much of the mountain town. It says the Alberta government wasn't jurisdictionally responsible to lead the crisis but made things more difficult with regular information requests and by seeking to exercise decision-making authority. The report says incident commanders had their focus disrupted and were forced to spend precio
AlbertaJul 17, 2025

Statutory release for Calgary man who killed five-year-old grandson

A Calgary man convicted of manslaughter in the death of his five-year-old grandson has been granted statutory release from prison. The Parole Board of Canada says in a decision that Allan Perdomo Lopez is to have no contact with children. The now-65-year-old was sentenced in 2019 to nine years after Emilio Perdomo died of a traumatic brain injury. Five months earlier, the boy had been sent to Canada from Mexico by his mother for a better life. Court heard the boy was subjected to months of physical abuse, with bruising and scars found all over his body. The trial heard a recor

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to