25.11°C Vancouver

News

alberta-government-to-introduce-back-to-work-law-for-striking-teachers
AlbertaOct 27, 2025

Alberta government to introduce back-to-work law for striking teachers

The Alberta government is preparing to introduce emergency legislation that would end the province-wide teachers’ strike and require educators to return to their classrooms. Premier Danielle Smith said the strike, which began on October 6, has disrupted students’ learning for too long and must be resolved through government action if no last-minute agreement is reached. The government’s plan would compel thousands of striking teachers to resume work immediately. Negotiations between the province and the Alberta Teachers’ Association have stalled over wage increases and classroom condit
alberta-pays-95-million-to-settle-another-coal-policy-lawsuit-total-payouts-near-240-million
AlbertaOct 24, 2025

Alberta pays $95 million to settle another coal policy lawsuit, total payouts near $240 million

The Alberta government has agreed to pay $95 million to Evolve Power, resolving another lawsuit linked to the province’s reversal of its coal policy. The latest settlement brings total payouts to almost $240 million, following a $143 million agreement reached earlier this year with another mining company. According to a notice to shareholders, Evolve Power will return two coal leases to the province as part of the deal. The company said the agreement represents the best possible outcome and that its board will soon determine dividends for shareholders. Energy Minister Brian Jean’s office c
recall-petition-approved-against-alberta-education-minister-demetrios-nicolaides
AlbertaOct 24, 2025

Recall petition approved against Alberta Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides

Alberta’s chief electoral officer has approved a recall petition targeting Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides, marking the first use of the province’s recall legislation since it was introduced in 2021. The petition, submitted by Calgary resident Jennifer Yeremiy, accuses Nicolaides of failing to effectively manage Alberta’s public education system amid concerns about classroom overcrowding and staffing shortages. Yeremiy’s application argues that these issues make Nicolaides “unfit” to continue serving as both minister and representative for Calgary-Bow. Nicolaides responded
alberta-government-plans-back-to-work-legislation-as-teachers-strike-enters-third-week
AlbertaOct 23, 2025

Alberta government plans back-to-work legislation as teachers’ strike enters third week

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says her government will introduce back-to-work legislation on Monday if no deal is reached to end the provincewide teachers’ strike. Smith said the walkout, now in its third week, has caused “intolerable hardship” for students and families, adding that the government cannot allow the disruption to continue. The strike has shut down classrooms for about 51,000 teachers and 750,000 students in public, separate, and francophone schools across the province. While formal negotiations between the Alberta Teachers’ Association and the province are not currently
AlbertaOct 23, 2025

Alberta legislature set to return with throne speech as teachers strike goes on

Alberta's legislative assembly is set to return today with a throne speech kicking off the fall sitting. The assembly will return just as a provincewide teachers strike nears the end of its third week, and teachers are expected to rally outside while members take in the speech. The government is expected to table back-to-work legislation, with Premier Danielle Smith previously saying it could happen as soon as next week if the strike goes on. Government house leader Joseph Schow has said the government will introduce at least 15 bills this sitting, including new rules to prevent lo
AlbertaOct 22, 2025

Reports confirm lightning caused Jasper wildfire; Parks Canada pledges stronger prevention measures

Parks Canada has confirmed that last year’s devastating wildfire in Jasper was sparked by lightning and intensified by strong winds and exceptionally dry conditions. Two new reports released by the agency outline how the July 2024 blaze destroyed roughly one-third of the community and forced about 25,000 residents and visitors to evacuate. The studies, commissioned following the disaster, found that existing fuel reduction work — including prescribed burns — helped limit the wildfire’s spread. However, they also concluded that larger and more frequent burns could have further reduced d
AlbertaOct 21, 2025

Vote counting resumes in municipal elections across Alberta

Vote counting in Alberta's municipal and school board elections has resumed. Few results were available after polls closed Monday night, as rule changes made by Premier Danielle Smith's government require votes be counted by hand rather than with machines. As of this morning, fewer than 25 per cent of polls for Edmonton's mayoral race have reported, with longtime councillor Andrew Knack leading over fellow councillor Tim Cartmell. In Calgary, unofficial results have former councillor Jeremy Farkas unseating incumbent mayor Jyoti Gondek, who has conceded. Jasper Mayor Richard Ire
alberta-teachers-strike-creating-ripple-effects-for-edmonton-businesses-chamber-says
AlbertaOct 17, 2025

Alberta teachers strike creating ripple effects for Edmonton businesses, chamber says

The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce says the provincewide teachers strike is starting to take a toll on businesses as it enters its ninth school day. Chamber president Doug Griffiths said while the organization remains neutral in the dispute, many employers are struggling with staff absences and reduced customer traffic. “It’s impacting everyone,” Griffiths told reporters Thursday, adding that many parents are staying home to care for children affected by school closures. About 51,000 teachers represented by their union walked off the job on October 6, leaving roughly 740,000 students out o
talks-stall-between-alberta-teachers-government-in-provincewide-strike
AlbertaOct 15, 2025

Talks stall between Alberta teachers, government in provincewide strike

Alberta's finance minister says there's a major divide between what the union representing striking teachers is asking for and what the government is willing to spend. Nate Horner says in an interview with CHED radio host Shaye Ganam that the union's latest contract proposal would require almost $2 billion more in spending than government has set aside for a deal. Horner says he was hoping for a more reasonable ask from the Alberta Teachers' Association, whose 51,000 members went on strike Oct. 6. The union's proposal was the subject of a bargaining meeting Tuesday, the first time the two side

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees