17.85°C Vancouver

News

climate-activist-shubham-kar-chaudhari-seeks-bail-in-toolkit-case
IndiaMar 11, 2021

'Climate activist' Shubham Kar Chaudhari seeks bail in 'Toolkit' case

Shubham Kar Chaudhari, a 'climate activist', approached a Delhi Court on Thursday seeking anticipatory bail in the 'Toolkit' document case related to farmers' protest.The Goa Bench of Bombay High Court had earlier granted him protection from arrest until March 12, so that he can approach the court in Delhi, where an FIR had been registered under IPC Sections 124A (sedition), 153A (promoting enmity) and 120B (criminal conspiracy).Additional Session Judge Dharmender Rana of Patiala House Court is scheduled to hear the bail on March 12.The same court has already extended interim protection from a
531-new-covid-19-cases-including-51-cases-of-variants-of-concern-reported-in-b-c
BCMar 11, 2021

531 new COVID-19 cases including 51 cases of variants of concern reported in B.C.

BC is reporting 531 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death. Health officials say there are 4,861active cases in the province. 244 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, including 66 in intensive care. There are 51 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 variants of concern, for a total of 627 cases. BC Health Minister Adrian Dix says vast improvements have been made in the province's vaccine roll out since a rough start on Monday, which means they can now accelerate the pace. Health authorities first started booking appointments for people 90 years and older as well as for Indigenous people
saudi-court-denies-activists-appeal-upholds-her-travel-ban
WorldMar 11, 2021

Saudi court denies activist's appeal, upholds her travel ban

One of Saudi Arabia's most prominent political activists has lost an appeal that would have allowed her to travel freely after her release from prison. Loujain al-Hathloul had hoped to lift a five-year ban on travelling outside Saudi Arabia that the court imposed as a condition of her release last month. Her 1001 day detention drew fierce international criticism of the kingdom's human rights record. She also faces three years of probation. Her supporters say the court on Wednesday upheld the original sentence. Her yearslong travel ban underscores the government's efforts to manage dissent in
pmo-knew-existence-of-allegations-against-vance-not-specifics-in-2018-pm-trudeau
CanadaMar 11, 2021

PMO knew existence of allegations against Vance, not specifics, in 2018: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his office knew there was an allegation of sexual misconduct against then-defence chief Gen. Jonathan Vance in 2018. But Trudeau says he and others in government did not know the specifics of the allegation until a Global News report last month. The prime minister made the comments this afternoon in the House of Commons, confirming that then-military ombudsman Gary Walbourne spoke to Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan about an allegation against Vance in March 2018. Trudeau says his office knew that Sajjan had directed Walbourne to take the allegation to "indepe
prince-george-councillors-surprised-with-118-000-bill-want-a-word-with-cn-rail
BCMar 11, 2021

Prince George councillors surprised with $118,000 bill, want a word with CN Rail

Prince George councillors want a word with CN Rail after it upgraded a rail crossing in the city and surprised council with a 118,000 dollar bill. Councillor Cori Ramsay says the need for flashing lights, bells, gates and other security devices at the crossing is not in dispute, but she says some notice from the railway giant about the incoming bill would have been nice. Ramsay says council spends hours trying to trim its budget, and faces a "huge hit" just three months into the year as it takes more than 100,000 dollars from its contingency fund. Council's intergovernmental relations committ
vaccination-efforts-stepped-up-but-covid-19-still-a-threat
CanadaMar 10, 2021

Vaccination efforts stepped up but COVID-19 still a threat

Health authorities have stepped up COVID-19 vaccination efforts as a consistent spread of new infections and related deaths continue. As a result, the Public Health Agency of Canada urges caution in the lifting of anti-pandemic restrictions. Dr. Theresa Tam, the country's chief public health officer, has repeated a warning that the vast majority of Canadians can still get COVID-19. She says infections had been declining nationally from mid-January through mid-February, but have now levelled off. She says "with the continued increase of cases and outbreaks associated with more contagious varia
military-reservist-who-rammed-rideau-hall-gate-with-truck-sentenced-to-six-years
CanadaMar 10, 2021

Military reservist who rammed Rideau Hall gate with truck sentenced to six years

A Manitoba man who rammed a gate at Rideau Hall before arming himself and heading on foot toward Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's home last July was sentenced today to six years in prison. Corey Hurren, a 46 year old sausage-maker and military reservist, had faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister. He pleaded guilty last month to seven weapons charges related to possession of prohibited or restricted firearms "for a purpose contrary to the public peace" and one charge of mischief by wilfully causing $100,000 worth of damage to the Rideau Hall gate. In delivering the
full-time-school-for-some-grades-larger-social-bubbles-as-yukon-to-ease-covid-rules
BCMar 10, 2021

Full-time school for some grades, larger social bubbles as Yukon to ease COVID rules

Yukon Premier Sandy Silver says, with no new cases of COVID-19 in his territory for another week, his government is ready to revise some of the restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of the virus. Speaking at a news conference this morning, Silver says full-time, in-class learning will begin next month for Grades 10 to 12, while universities are expected to return to face-to-face learning by September. Decisions about increasing the number of social contacts are also expected this spring or summer, although exact details will depend on immunization levels that health officials hope will soo
more-than-two-million-doses-of-vaccine-deliveries-from-pfizer-biontech-and-moderna-expected-in-two-weeks-health-canada
CanadaMar 10, 2021

More than two million doses of vaccine deliveries from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna expected in two weeks: Health Canada

Health Canada expects more than two million doses of vaccine to be delivered from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna in two weeks. Pfizer alone will ship more than a million doses a week itself between March 22 and April 18. Pfizer recently said it would increase its planned shipments to Canada by 1.5 million doses before the end of March, and send an extra million doses in both April and May. The company has now confirmed its delivery schedule through mid-April, shipping 1.2 million doses the weeks of March 22 and March 29, and one million doses the weeks of April 5 and April 18. To date, Canada ha

Just In

AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Alberta legislature adjourns spring sitting amid separatism debate

Alberta MLAs wrapped up the spring sitting of the legislature this week following months of debate that frequently centred on separatist sentiment and political divisions at the legislature. The sitting included government legislation on issues ranging from public library materials to medical assistance in dying. However, exchanges in question period were often dominated by disagreements over separatism and the role of Premier Danielle Smith’s United Conservative government in responding to the movement. Government House Leader Joseph Schow said the United Conservative Party focused its legi
senior-critically-injured-two-vancouver-police-officers-hurt-after-west-end-vehicle-incident
BCMay 15, 2026

Senior critically injured, two Vancouver police officers hurt after West End vehicle incident

A senior citizen remains in critical condition and two Vancouver Police Department officers were hospitalized after a driver allegedly rammed multiple vehicles and drove through part of Nelson Park in Vancouver’s West End early Friday morning.According to Vancouver police, the incident began around 5:30 a.m. near Comox and Broughton streets when a vehicle was seen driving erratically and striking several objects, including an area near the Nelson Park dog park. Witnesses in the area reportedly moved out of the vehicle’s path to avoid being hit.Police said the injured senior was operating a
man-charged-after-surrey-shooting-that-injured-woman
BCMay 15, 2026

Man charged after Surrey shooting that injured woman

A 31-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service investigation into a November 2025 shooting that injured a woman inside a Surrey residence. Police said frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired at a home near 121 Street and 101B Avenue at about 9:10 p.m. on Nov. 23, 2025. According to Surrey Police Service, a female resident suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh and officers provided emergency medical aid until BC Emergency Health Services arrived. The SPS Major Crime Section led the investigation. Police said investigators identified a suspect and associated
death-toll-rises-to-24-after-russian-missile-strike-on-kyiv-apartment-building-zelenskyy-says
WorldMay 15, 2026

Death toll rises to 24 after Russian missile strike on Kyiv apartment building, Zelenskyy says

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday that the death toll from a Russian missile strike on a Kyiv apartment building has risen to 24, including three children, after emergency crews completed search operations at the site. In posts published on X, Zelenskyy said rescue workers spent more than a day clearing debris from the damaged nine-storey residential building following Thursday’s attack. Ukrainian officials also reported 48 people injured in the broader assault on the capital, including two children. According to the Ukrainian air force, the strike formed part of what offic
911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p