16.24°C Vancouver

News

more-than-10-million-canadians-have-now-received-at-least-one-dose-of-a-covid-19-vaccine
CanadaApr 22, 2021

More than 10 million Canadians have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

More than 10 million Canadians have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. The milestone was passed this morning. There are, however, still fewer than one million people who have received both required doses of vaccine. Second doses are being delayed up to four months so more people can get their first dose earlier. Canada is vaccinating people more than twice as fast as it was a month ago, but the number of doses given each day slowed this week due to supply issues. In total more than 10.8 million vaccines have been administered throughout Canada.
federal-government-needs-to-immediately-stop-admitting-flights-from-countries-like-india-and-brazil-erin-otoole
CanadaApr 22, 2021

Federal government needs to immediately stop admitting flights from countries like India and Brazil: Erin O'Toole

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says the federal government needs to immediately stop admitting flights from COVID-19 "hot spot" countries like India and Brazil. He says the move would buy time to figure out a better plan for stopping variants of concern from getting into Canada. O'Toole doesn't have specifics for what he thinks should happen to beef up border protections beyond not allowing flights to land from certain countries. Health Canada says about one per cent of arriving passengers are testing positive but can't say how many have tested positive after 10 days. Bloc Quebecois Leader
judge-to-rule-on-criminal-responsibility-of-man-who-stabbed-two-b-c-students
BCApr 22, 2021

Judge to rule on criminal responsibility of man who stabbed two B.C. students

A British Columbia Supreme Court judge is expected to deliver her decision today over whether a man who stabbed two high school students is not criminally responsible because he had a mental disorder. Gabriel Klein was convicted last year for the murder of 13-year-old Letisha Reimer and the aggravated assault of her friend in the rotunda of Abbotsford Senior Secondary in 2016.Klein, who has schizophrenia, applied for a hearing over criminal responsibility as sentencing was set to begin in September and he later testified that he believed he was stabbing a witch and a monster.His lawyer has ar
rakesh-tikait-says-farmers-will-not-vacate-protest-sites-until-three-agriculture-laws-are-withdrawn
IndiaApr 22, 2021

Rakesh Tikait says farmers will not vacate protest sites until three agriculture laws are withdrawn

Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Rakesh Tikait on Thursday said that the return of the farmers to the home will not happen until the three agriculture laws are withdrawn. He reiterated that protest sites were now farmers' homes.While replying to the allegations that the coronavirus is increasing due to being in the group of farmers, Tikait said, "Farmers are at their home. Where else will we ask them to go? Is Corona spreading from here? We have been living here for the last five months, it's our home now."Tikait also said that many farmers are struggling to get the second dose of the COVID
farmers-struggling-to-get-2nd-dose-of-covid-vaccine-rakesh-tikait
IndiaApr 22, 2021

Farmers struggling to get 2nd dose of COVID vaccine: Rakesh Tikait

Bharatiya Kisan Union leader Rahesh Tikait on April 22 at Ghazipur border said that many farmers are struggling to get the second dose of COVID vaccine. "Farmers are at their home. Where else will we ask them to go? Is COVID spreading from here? We have been living here for last 5 months, it's our home now. Many farmers took vaccine but are struggling to get the 2nd dose. We have told officers to set up camp here," said BKU leader. Farmers have been agitating against farm laws at Delhi's border from past 5 months.
man-killed-in-shooting-outside-langley-sportsplex-police
BCApr 22, 2021

Man killed in shooting outside Langley Sportsplex: Police

Police say a man has been killed in a shooting this morning outside the Langley Sportsplex. Sergeant Frank Jang of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says it's "infuriating" that people are shooting one another in broad daylight. No further details are being provided about the second deadly shooting during daylight hours in Metro Vancouver this week. A man was also fatally shot near the basketball court at Town Centre Park in Coquitlam at about 6:30 p-m on Monday while 40 to 50 people were there. IHIT on Twitter: IHIT is being deployed to #LangleyBC for a fatal shooting at the Langley
862-new-covid-19-cases-and-7-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCApr 22, 2021

862 new COVID-19 cases and 7 deaths reported in B.C.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia. "Today, we are reporting 862 new cases, for a total of 121,751 cases in British Columbia. "There are 8,906 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, with 13,135 people under public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases. A further 111,039 people who tested positive have recovered. "Of the active cases, 483 individuals are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 163 of whom are in intens
surrey-rcmp-introducing-media-relations-officer-sarabjit-sangha
BCApr 21, 2021

Surrey RCMP introducing media relations officer Sarabjit Sangha

Surrey RCMP is pleased to welcome Constable Sarbjit Sangha to our Communications and Media Relations Unit as Media Relations Officer. Cst. Sangha joins the Media Relations Unit from the Surrey RCMP Drug Unit where she has spent the past 10 years as an investigator, most recently focussing on proceeds of crime investigations. She has spent her entire 14-year career in Surrey working Frontline patrols and Major Crime. Born in Punjab, she immigrated to Canada in 1997, where she learned English and pursued the dream she had since she was a little girl of becoming a police officer. Cst. Sangha is
bombing-in-hotel-parking-lot-kills-at-least-4-in-pakistan
WorldApr 21, 2021

Bombing in hotel parking lot kills at least 4 in Pakistan

Police say a powerful bomb has exploded in the parking area of a luxury hotel in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, killing at least four people and wounding at least nine others. It was unclear who was behind the bombing Wednesday at Serena Hotel. Police said rescuers transported the victims to nearby hospitals. Footage on Pakistan news channels showed burning cars. Southwestern Baluchistan province is the scene of a long-running insurgency by secessionist groups like the Baluchistan Liberation Front and the Baluchistan Liberation Army. They have for decades staged attacks to press t

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to