17.38°C Vancouver

News

britains-king-charles-pays-three-day-private-visit-to-bengaluru
WorldOct 30, 2024

Britain's King Charles Pays Three-Day Private Visit To Bengaluru

Britain's King Charles paid a private visit to Bengaluru where he stayed at a sprawling integrative medical facility here, sources said on Wednesday.He was accompanied by Queen Camilla. The holistic health centre, where the couple stayed during their three-day trip, is well known for rejuvenative treatment, including yoga and meditation sessions and therapies, an official said. "The couple who have stayed in the medical facility on a couple of occasions in the past took various wellness treatments, including Ayurveda and Naturopathy. Their morning routine included yoga sessions. "They were on
spanish-authorities-report-51-dead-from-flash-flooding
WorldOct 30, 2024

Spanish authorities report 51 dead from flash flooding

Spanish authorities said Wednesday that 51 people have died after flash floods swept away cars, turned village streets into rivers and disrupted rail lines and highways. Emergency services in the eastern region of Valencia confirmed the death toll. Rainstorms on Tuesday caused flooding in a wide swath of southern and eastern Spain. A high-speed train with nearly 300 people on board derailed near Malaga, although rail authorities said no one was hurt. High-speed train service between Valencia city and Madrid was interrupted, as were several commuter lines. Floods of mud-colored water tumbled v
palestinian-medical-officials-say-an-israeli-strike-in-northern-gaza-killed-34-people
WorldOct 29, 2024

Palestinian medical officials say an Israeli strike in northern Gaza killed 34 people

An Israeli strike on a five-story building where displaced Palestinians were sheltering in northern Gaza killed at least 34 people early Tuesday, more than half of them women and children, Gaza’s Health Ministry said. The ministry's emergency service said another 20 people were wounded in the strike in the northern town of Beit Lahiya, near the Israeli border. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military. The dead included a mother and her five children, some of them adults, and a second mother with her six children, according to an initial casualty list provided by the emergency
boat-carrying-egyptian-migrants-to-europe-capsizes-off-libyan-coast-killing-12
WorldOct 29, 2024

Boat carrying Egyptian migrants to Europe capsizes off Libyan coast, killing 12

A boat carrying 13 Egyptian migrants to Europe has capsized off Libya's coast, killing all on board except for one person, local authorities and a Libyan group said Tuesday. Al-Abreen, a group that provides humanitarian assistance to migrants in Libya, said on Facebook that the boat capsized 60 kilometers (37 miles) east of the city of Tobruk on Monday evening. One migrant survived, according to the group, which said the bodies were recovered and brought to shore. The Directorate for Combating Illegal Migration in Tobruk also confirmed the incident. In recent years, the North African nation ha
london-indian-origin-man-charged-with-attempted-murder-of-woman-and-her-2-children
WorldOct 28, 2024

London: Indian-Origin Man Charged With Attempted Murder Of Woman And Her 2 Children

An Indian-origin man was charged with three counts of attempted murder after the stabbing last week of three people a woman and two children – in east London. Kulvinder Ram, 48, appeared at Barkingside Magistrate's Court on Monday, days after the attack in First Avenue, Dagenham. The Metropolitan Police identified him as a resident of the area “Ram was arrested following a stabbing in First Avenue, Dagenham on Friday, 25 October. A woman aged in her 30s, an eight-year-old girl, and a two-year-old boy, were all found suffering stab injuries,” a statement from the Metropolitan Police read.
more-than-43-000-palestinians-killed-in-yearlong-war-in-gaza-palestinian-health-ministry-says
WorldOct 28, 2024

More than 43,000 Palestinians killed in yearlong war in Gaza, Palestinian Health Ministry says

The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza says more than 43,000 people have been killed in the yearlong war with Israel, more than half of them were women and children. The tally includes 96 dead who arrived at hospitals in Gaza over the past two days, it said Monday. The ministry says at least 43,020 people have been killed and 101,110 others wounded since the war started on Oct. 7, 2023. It did not differentiate between militants and civilians.
death-toll-from-deadly-storm-that-struck-the-philippines-rises-to-65
WorldOct 25, 2024

Death toll from deadly storm that struck the Philippines rises to 65

A Philippine provincial police chief said Friday that 33 people were killed mostly in landslides set off by Tropical Storm Trami in a province south of Manila. The deaths caused by landslides and flash floods in Batangas province brings to 65 the overall death toll from Trami, which blew away Friday from the northwestern Philippines, Batangas police chief Col. Jacinto Malinao Jr. said. Eleven other villagers remain missing Malinao Jr. told The Associated Press by telephone from the lakeside town of Talisay, where he stood beside a villager whose wife and child were buried in the deep mound of
an-israeli-airstrike-on-a-journalist-compound-kills-3-tv-staffers-state-news-says
WorldOct 25, 2024

An Israeli airstrike on a journalist compound kills 3 TV staffers, state news says

AnIsraeli airstrikeon a compound housing journalists in southeast Lebanon has killed three media staffers, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency said Friday. The Beirut-based pan-Arab Al-Mayadeen TV said two of its staffers were among the journalists killed early Friday. Al-Manar TV of Lebanon’s Hezbollah group said its camera operator Wissam Qassim was killed in the airstrike on the Hasbaya region, that has been spared much of the fighting along the border so far. Al-Mayadeen said camera operator Ghassan Najar and broadcast technician Mohammed Rida died. Several journalists have been k
palestinian-officials-say-an-israeli-strike-on-a-school-turned-shelter-in-gaza-has-killed-16
WorldOct 24, 2024

Palestinian officials say an Israeli strike on a school-turned-shelter in Gaza has killed 16

An Israeli strike on a school where displaced people were sheltering in the central Gaza Strip killed at least 16 people on Thursday, Palestinian medical officials said. Another 32 people were wounded in the strike in the built-up Nuseirat refugee camp, according to the Awda Hospital, which received the casualties. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military. Israel has carried out several strikes on schools-turned-shelters in recent months, saying it precisely targets Hamas militants hiding out among civilians. The strikes often kill women and children. The warbegan when Hamas-le

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to