15°C Vancouver

News

12-dead-in-a-bus-crash-on-a-highway-in-south-africa
WorldMar 11, 2025

12 dead in a bus crash on a highway in South Africa

At least 12 people died and 45 were injured when a bus overturned on a highway in the South African city of Johannesburg on Tuesday, emergency services said. Emergency crews were trying to lift the bus back onto its wheels to see if any more victims were trapped underneath it, said William Nthladi, a spokesperson for the city's Ekurhuleni Emergency Management. The crash happened on a highway near Johannesburg's main O.R. Tambo International Airport. The bus was lying on its side near the edge of the highway. It had been transporting people from the township or Katlehong, east of Johannesburg,
ukraines-zelenskyy-arrives-in-saudi-arabia-to-meet-prince-ahead-of-summit-with-us
WorldMar 10, 2025

Ukraine's Zelenskyy arrives in Saudi Arabia to meet prince ahead of summit with US

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has arrived in Saudi Arabia to visit the oil-rich kingdom's crown prince ahead of his official meeting with America's top diplomat and others. Saudi state television reported Zelenskyy's arrival Monday in Jeddah, a port city on the Red Sea where the Ukraine-U.S. summit will be held Tuesday. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio was en route to Jeddah as well.
ontario-imposes-25-surcharge-on-electricity-exports-to-the-u-s-in-response-to-tariffs
CanadaMar 10, 2025

Ontario Imposes 25% Surcharge on Electricity Exports to the U.S. in Response to Tariffs

Ontario is imposing a 25% surcharge on the electricity it supplies to 1.5 million American homes and businesses in response to tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump, Premier Doug Ford announced today. The move will affect residents and businesses in New York, Michigan, and Minnesota. The province estimates that the surcharge will cost these states $300,000 to $400,000 per day. Ontario plans to use the generated funds to provide financial relief to workers and businesses impacted by the U.S. tariffs. Premier Ford also warned that if Trump escalates the trade war with Canada, he would
canadian-government-unveils-over-6-billion-relief-package-for-businesses-affected-by-trump-tariffs
CanadaMar 07, 2025

Canadian Government Unveils Over $6-Billion Relief Package for Businesses Affected by Trump Tariffs

The Canadian government has unveiled a relief package worth more than $6 billion to support businesses impacted by tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The announcement was made by the Trudeau government’s ministers of labour, international trade, and small business during a press conference in Ottawa today. As part of the support for businesses, the government will allocate $5 billion over the next two years to help exporters find new markets outside the US. Additionally, a $500-million loan program will be launched through the Business Development Bank of Canada for businesses di
migrant-boats-capsize-off-yemen-and-djibouti-leaving-at-least-2-dead-and-186-missing
WorldMar 07, 2025

Migrant boats capsize off Yemen and Djibouti, leaving at least 2 dead and 186 missing

The United Nations migration agency says four migrant boats have capsized in waters off Yemen and Djibouti, leaving two people dead and 186 missing. Two of the boats capsized off Yemen on Thursday, said Tamim Eleian, a spokesperson for the International Organization for Migration. Two crewmembers were rescued, but 181 migrants and five Yemeni crewmembers remain missing, he told The Associated Press. Two other boats capsized off the tiny African nation of Djibouti around the same time, he said. Two bodies of migrants were recovered, and all others on board were rescued. According to the IOM, 55
cyclone-alfred-hits-eastern-australia-causing-widespread-disruptions
WorldMar 06, 2025

Cyclone Alfred Hits Eastern Australia, Causing Widespread Disruptions

Cyclone Alfred has battered cities in eastern Australia, bringing strong winds and heavy rain that have forced schools to close in the affected areas. Public transport has been disrupted, and grocery stores remain closed in many locations. Queenslanders have been warned that the storm is expected to hit the coast near Brisbane around 4 a.m. on Saturday and may take up to six hours to move across the coast. Residents of Queensland and New South Wales have also been advised to prepare for strong winds and flooding. The Bureau of Meteorology predicts winds of up to 120 km/h on both sides of the
trump-suspends-tariffs-on-mexican-imports-until-april-2
CanadaMar 06, 2025

Trump Suspends Tariffs on Mexican Imports Until April 2

U.S. President Donald Trump has suspended tariffs on Mexican imports until April 2. Along with this, he once again accused Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of using the trade war as an opportunity to stay in power. In a post on Truth Social, Trump claimed that despite putting Canada in a crisis, Trudeau is exploiting the tariffs as a way to further his own political agenda, which Trump argued is the cause of the problem. Trump accused Trudeau of taking this approach to secure his re-election as Prime Minister. Meanwhile, regarding Mexico, Trump stated that after discussions with President Claudi
trump-grants-one-month-auto-tariff-waiver-for-canada-and-mexico
CanadaMar 05, 2025

Trump Grants One-Month Auto Tariff Waiver for Canada and Mexico

President Donald Trump has granted a one-month waiver on auto tariffs for Canada and Mexico, as confirmed by White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt. Leavitt stated that the waiver would apply to any car covered under the USMCA, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. She explained that the request for the waiver came from three major automakers. Leavitt added that the companies President Trump spoke to included Stellantis, Ford, and General Motors. The White House press secretary further mentioned that the president granted the one-month waiver at the request of the companies to prev
trump-takes-aim-at-trudeau-after-phone-call-with-canadian-prime-minister
CanadaMar 05, 2025

Trump Takes Aim at Trudeau After Phone Call with Canadian Prime Minister

Trump criticized Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in a post on Truth Social following a phone call with him. He accused Trudeau of attempting to use the tariff issue to maintain political power. Trump stated that Trudeau had called him to ask what could be done to stop the tariffs, and Trump responded by mentioning the ongoing issue of fentanyl deaths linked to drugs coming through the Canada-Mexico border, noting that he wasn’t sure if the situation had improved. Trump also said that Trudeau claimed there had been significant improvement, but Trump insisted that it wasn’t enough. Additional

Just In

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa