16.8°C Vancouver

News

pentagon-submits-request-for-additional-200-billion-tied-to-iran-conflict-official-says
WorldMar 19, 2026

Pentagon submits request for additional $200 billion tied to Iran conflict, official says

The U.S. Department of Defense has submitted a request to the White House seeking an additional $200 billion in funding tied to the ongoing Iran conflict, according to a senior administration official. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations, said the request has not yet been formally transmitted to Congress for consideration. It remains unclear whether the White House will advance the proposal. According to the official, the funding request would come on top of supplemental defence spending approved last year as part
WorldMar 19, 2026

Saudi Arabia warns Iran after reported drone strike on Yanbu oil facility

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister has issued a warning to Iran following reports of a drone strike targeting a major oil refining facility in Yanbu amid escalating regional tensions. According to regional media reports, the Samref oil refinery in Yanbu, a key Red Sea export hub, was hit in an aerial attack during ongoing hostilities involving the United States, Israel and Iran. The extent of damage and any disruptions to production have not been independently confirmed. Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud said the kingdom has the capability to respond, cautioning Iran against test
WorldMar 18, 2026

Israel claims senior Iranian intelligence officials killed in overnight strikes

Israeli authorities say a series of overnight airstrikes on Iran targeted senior intelligence leadership and key energy infrastructure, as hostilities continue between Israel and Iran. According to a statement from Israel’s defence minister, Israel Katz, the strikes killed Iran’s intelligence minister, Esmail Khatib, along with several senior officials from the ministry. The claim has not been independently verified, and Iranian authorities have not confirmed any casualties as of publication time. Israeli officials also said their aircraft struck gas infrastructure in southern Iran. The re
WorldMar 16, 2026

Lebanon says Israeli attacks have killed nearly 900 people since March 2

Lebanon’s Health Ministry says the death toll from Israeli air and ground attacks since March 2 has risen to nearly 900 as tensions across the Middle East continue to escalate. According to the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, at least 886 people have been killed and 2,141 others injured during Israeli strikes across parts of Lebanon over the past two weeks. The ministry said the attacks have also affected the country’s health-care system. Medical teams responding to emergencies were among those hit during the strikes. At least 38 health workers have been killed and another 69 injured w
IndiaMar 16, 2026

U.S. trade agreement signing delayed pending U.S. tariff policy implementation

The signing of a proposed trade agreement between India and the United States has been postponed for now, according to India’s commerce secretary Rajesh Agrawal. Agrawal said the agreement will move forward only after the United States fully implements its new tariff policy. He said the timeline for finalizing the deal is tied to the outcome of tariff changes currently under consideration by U.S. authorities. According to Agrawal, previously imposed global tariffs that were struck down by a U.S. court must be replaced with new global tariff measures before the trade agreement can be finalize
taliban-government-accuses-pakistan-of-striking-civilian-homes-in-kabul-kandahar-air-raids
WorldMar 13, 2026

Taliban government accuses Pakistan of striking civilian homes in Kabul, Kandahar air raids

Afghanistan’s Taliban government on Friday accused Pakistan’s military of targeting civilian homes during overnight airstrikes in Kabul and the southern province of Kandahar, as cross-border fighting between the two countries entered its third week. Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement posted on X that women and children were among those killed in the strikes. The claim could not be independently verified. According to Mujahid, Pakistani aircraft also struck fuel depots belonging to the private airline Kam Air near Kandahar’s airport. Pakistan’s military
WorldMar 13, 2026

U.S. military refuelling aircraft crashes in Iraq; four crew members confirmed dead, two missing

A United States military refuelling aircraft crashed in Iraq during ongoing U.S. military operations linked to tensions with Iran, leaving four crew members dead and two others missing, according to the U.S. military. The aircraft was identified as a Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker used for aerial refuelling. U.S. officials said the aircraft was carrying a crew of six at the time of the crash. The U.S. military confirmed that the bodies of four crew members have been recovered, while search operations are continuing for the remaining two. Officials did not immediately release the names of the crew
WorldMar 11, 2026

International Energy Agency to release 400 million barrels from emergency reserves amid Middle East conflict

The International Energy Agency says it will release 400 million barrels of oil from emergency reserves to help offset supply disruptions linked to the ongoing conflict in the Middle East. According to the agency, the move is intended to stabilize global oil markets and reduce pressure from rising crude prices as the war affects supply routes and production in the region. The IEA said the decision represents the largest coordinated release of emergency oil stocks in the agency’s history. The organization has not yet confirmed when the oil will begin entering global markets or how quickly the
WorldMar 11, 2026

Drone strike hits school and health centre in southern Sudan, killing 17

An explosive-laden drone struck a secondary school and a health care centre in southern Sudan on Wednesday, killing at least 17 people, most of them schoolgirls, according to a hospital official and a medical group. Dr. Musa al-Majeri, director of Douiem Hospital, said the attack occurred in a village served by the facility, which is the nearest major hospital in the area. He said at least 10 other people were wounded and were being treated after the strike. The drone strike has been blamed on Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, which have been fighting the Sudanese military since civ

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to